Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Finding campsites

Larkrise

Larkrise

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We are back from a month in Ireland and planning for France in September. In reflective mood, I think we are not mainstream in our camping requirements. We often prefer our own bit of space, we like small sites and avoid extensive static caravan encampments- so touring only is good. And an attractive environment- walk to a beach, by a river etc etc. And a clean shower and toilet facility. We didn't experience much of this in Ireland where the small farm campsites don't seem to exist- if you know the west coast of Ireland then Mannix Point, and Actons (Co Galway) fit the bill- both have very interested/ing owners and work hard to make it a good experience.

So after this long ramble and turning to France. There's the aires of course, but often not spacious or particularly beautiful. We often use ACSI though large sites and swimming pools feature large. A couple of searches turned up two interesting websites which I have never seen before: campinmygarden.com and homecamper.com. The later is strong in France and both allow folk with big gardens/chateaus/vineyards to let people stay. I guess this is a bit like airbnb (no experience of this) or CouchSurfing ( lots of +'ve experience, though it is free). Has anyone ever used these services, or got other off the mainstream suggestions for interesting places to camp?

We are back from a month in Ireland and planning for France in September. In reflective mood, I think we are not mainstream in our camping requirements. We often prefer our own bit of space, we like small sites and avoid extensive static caravan encampments- so touring only is good. And an attractive environment- walk to a beach, by a river etc etc. And a clean shower and toilet facility. We didn't experience much of this in Ireland where the small farm campsites don't seem to exist- if you know the west coast of Ireland then Mannix Point, and Actons (Co Galway) fit the bill- both have very interested/ing owners and work hard to make it a good experience.

So after this long ramble and turning to France. There's the aires of course, but often not spacious or particularly beautiful. We often use ACSI though large sites and swimming pools feature large. A couple of searches turned up two interesting websites which I have never seen before: campinmygarden.com and homecamper.com. The later is strong in France and both allow folk with big gardens/chateaus/vineyards to let people stay. I guess this is a bit like airbnb (no experience of this) or CouchSurfing ( lots of +'ve experience, though it is free). Has anyone ever used these services, or got other off the mainstream suggestions for interesting places to camp?
We find that in France almost every larg village a town has a site or more. Municipal ones are usually smaller, often in nice locations and not expensive. We have been paying €15 a night all in ( at St Vallier on the Rhone) but now into July and further down near Orange the price is higher at €27 all in but nice sites. We rarely meet any UK people and struggle by with pathetic French with others on the site. It gives them some amusement. France is not cheap to eat any more.

We have become member of www.svr.nl
This is an organisation of smaller campsites, often owned by a farmer and with fair pricing.
Originally it is a Dutch organisation, but I've noticed they have a lot of sites in France as well.
IMG_0016.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Yes (David) we have used municipal sites (in preCali, tent days) and agree they can be good- have flush toilets become the standard now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes (David) we have used municipal sites (in preCali, tent days) and agree they can be good- have flush toilets become the standard now?

The ones we have stayed at have all mod cons and many even have some Mains Hookup s.

What would be the recommended guide to find these and reviews? In the old days we used Michelin I think, but more recently we tried the Camping in France ( or something like that) Michelin guide but didn't find it much good. Maybe the Green regional guides, but obviously not for user reviews.

We sometimes use park4night app on our phone, it lists not only campsites but many other options, along with pictures, details and comments from people who's been there. Give it a go, it's free unless you want to download maps and locations to use offline.

We use Google maps when we decide we want a campsite for the night. You can search for sites nearby, view pictures, view reviews, view satellite views and click through to websites if we want to check for more detail.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

We sometimes use park4night app on our phone, it lists not only campsites but many other options, along with pictures, details and comments from people who's been there. Give it a go, it's free unless you want to download maps and locations to use offline.
That sounds interesting, will give it a go- thanks for sharing.

Yes they do have flush toilets, not always sit down type. Always clean, usually peaceful. And you do get what can be a embarrassingly large pitch. Don't make the same mistake that we made (make now even), always try to get under trees, the sun can be hot here (36.5 here yesterday). Often very few Brits often more Dutch and Belgium. Re campsite books we usually take The Caravan Club book of European sites. Very good. However, we always decide where we want to go, go there and find a site but we have been doing it a long time so the book could be a good buy.

Thanks for the sage advice. There were very few U.K. campers in Ireland, mostly German I would say and just a few Calis (none at all in Co Donegal). Standard campsite fee seemed to be €20 and we never use EHU (an extra €3-4). We are thinking to keep to N France in Sept but may be tempted down to the Dordogne where we have family. Will check out the CC book tho we are not members. I think we need to be a bit less fussy about sites but we do get claustrophobic if hemmed in by MHs and statics.

Thanks for the sage advice. There were very few U.K. campers in Ireland, mostly German I would say and just a few Calis (none at all in Co Donegal). Standard campsite fee seemed to be €20 and we never use EHU (an extra €3-4). We are thinking to keep to N France in Sept but may be tempted down to the Dordogne where we have family. Will check out the CC book tho we are not members. I think we need to be a bit less fussy about sites but we do get claustrophobic if hemmed in by MHs and statics.

Weather should be better further down, although it depends what you are used to! You don't need to belong to the Caravan Club to get their books which is good.
Once you have done it you will surprised at how easy it seems.

We are quite frequent campers in France...just honing our style! We have a slight domestic difference on temperature tolerance and while the 15 degrees wind and wet of Ireland (while England basked in its heatwave) was not acceptable, neither is anything over about 28 unless there is a good breeze off the sea!

If you are arround the 15th sept. In the champagne region come and join us ....
Link on top of the page , only 7 pitches left from the 25 !

We are quite frequent campers in France...just honing our style! We have a slight domestic difference on temperature tolerance and while the 15 degrees wind and wet of Ireland (while England basked in its heatwave) was not acceptable, neither is anything over about 28 unless there is a good breeze off the sea!

Ah yes, see what you mean, might be a good idea to look up French weather before departure,! Any way, have a bonne vacance. David