Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France west coast campsites with kids

We did Ile d'Oleron for last week July / first week in Aug back in 2022 and stayed here -

Camping Ile d'Oleron APV l'Anse des Pins 4 étoiles

Chose Oleron as heard it was less pricey and more accessible than neighbouring islands. The campsite was fab, great pool area and facilities, quick 5 mins walk to a lovely beach that was also great for rockpooling once the tide was out. There was also a daily market in the village (we took bikes but was maybe a 15 min walk there) so found that handy. At night the campsite was quiet, we were over the other side to the bar etc so didn't get any noise etc; our daughter was 5 so we didn't stay for any of the evening 'animations' so not sure how busy they were. Kids club was each morning and each afternoon and despite our daughter being the only English speaker to go, she was there every day and loved it. Overall, a fab campsite and great island to visit. Hope that helps :)

Definitely want to try this, we loved Ile de Re but went in June so avoided the summer crowds. It was stunning and believe Oleron is just a lovely but less touristy.

Great thanks, I've heard great stuff about municipals I think I'll have a look for some for the middle of our trip

Click on Map icon for details. Its in French but easy to understand .

Definitely want to try this, we loved Ile de Re but went in June so avoided the summer crowds. It was stunning and believe Oleron is just a lovely but less touristy.
I would say definitely visit the other islands as well at some point. Let's clarify: all three islands are equally touristy, each with their own French audience, both as residents (washed up non-native residents) and as visitors (tourists). All three are involved in salt mining and are known for their restaurants (les cabanes) along the beach for delicious seafood and have quit the same vegetation. They each have their own towns that are always busy but also very pleasant. After we visited Île de Ré in 2018, a Frenchman recommended Île d'Oléron to us because the TV stars and ministers have a house on the first and the 'ordinary Frenchman' visits the second ;) I found no clear difference between the atmosphere of the first two but personally find Ile de Noirmoutier the purest to visit. But again: all three are worth a visit. Enjoy!

Last edited:
We found this Aire operator to be very good. It got busier later in the day. I think there were 3 of us that night…

View attachment 118084
Yes, indeed :thumb
I mentioned it here:
Post in thread 'France west coast campsites with kids'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/france-west-coast-campsites-with-kids.52397/post-680528
We use it for some years now and to our great satisfaction. Super easy (just apply for a card first and put some money on it; you can also create a card on the spot, but it will take a while). A lot of camping municipals are part of it now.

Last edited:
Back