Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France west coast campsites with kids

K

Kathrynandpaul

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi
We have the ferry booked for 24 days in France in mid July/ early August.
Last year we went to Ile de Re, Loire and Normandy. We loved Ile de Re but we were there in May and I believe summer hols are really busy, so although it's not off the list we might avoid it. Our favourite sites we have ever stayed are La Grainettiere on Ile de Re and Le Chateau de Chanteloup in Loire. Kids are 6 and 10, youngest is Autistic so super busy and loud at night sites with long queues would not be ideal - and some reviews of these big sites suggest thats the case in summer. Any feedback on that front would be amazing as I keep holding off booking for fear of being somewhere too hectic. Any recommendations or comments to tweak our intinerary would be brilliant.
My plan so far is,
Huttopia Noirmoutier for 5 nights
Ile de Re, Oleron or other suggestions welcome for 4 or 5 nights - maybe try and fit in Puy de Fou whilst travelling down?
Arcachon or Biscarosse or other suggestions around that area for 6/7 nights - we'd like a pool, lake swims, some paddle boarding or kayaking and cycling
Dordogne - ideally here https://campingmaisonneuve.com/en/pitch/ for 6/7 nights, but we have a shortlist for Dordogne already
Loire - 3 nights - we have stayed in a few places here but recommendations for sites on way from Dordogne to Caen so we can break up the journey for a few nights would be welcomed.
We'd love to mix it up and try some more low key sites like the Huttopia and Dordogne ones and maybe try some bigger parks - but I do worry booking 6 or 7 expensive nights somewhere like that might be too long?
Do you think we are trying to fit in too many places? Don't want to feel like we are always packing up with the kids and loosing chill/ play time, but at the same time don't want to be based somewhere we don't love for too long. I know thats always the balance to strike but any feedback on that would be great.
Much appreciated

I was in the same region last Spring although didn't travel with kids. A mix of 3-4 days wild camping followed by a day on a campsite. Puy de Fou was great and I can thoroughly recommend it but be prepared for lines. The big shows were very popular and I went mid week in May.
I wild camped on Ile de Re and spent a very enjoyable 2 days on the island.
I only stayed on ACSI listed sites which were rustic and not all that interesting for young children.
Having only been on two 2 week trips, the traveling from Northern Germany to France was the least enjoyable part. With 24 days you have more flexibility but will be traveling during peak Holiday time so a lot of popular places will be booked up.
I find it more rewarding to have a flexible schedule. Don't plan too much in advance but with young kids it may be necessary to book to ensure you have a pitch.

I was in the same region last Spring although didn't travel with kids. A mix of 3-4 days wild camping followed by a day on a campsite. Puy de Fou was great and I can thoroughly recommend it but be prepared for lines. The big shows were very popular and I went mid week in May.
I wild camped on Ile de Re and spent a very enjoyable 2 days on the island.
I only stayed on ACSI listed sites which were rustic and not all that interesting for young children.
Having only been on two 2 week trips, the traveling from Northern Germany to France was the least enjoyable part. With 24 days you have more flexibility but will be traveling during peak Holiday time so a lot of popular places will be booked up.
I find it more rewarding to have a flexible schedule. Don't plan too much in advance but with young kids it may be necessary to book to ensure you have a pitch.
That sounds lovely, and yes agree the idea to be a bit more free flow would be ideal - I think if we went back in May/June again we would take that approach. I just fear in peak times we might end up a bit stuck and spend days driving around hopping about and the kids would find it frustrating. Thanks for your reply :)

I agree that with kids it’s reassuring to book the main sites. Stopover sites aren’t so difficult and public sites off highways tend to have a good turnover. When touring with our kids we tended to go for the Castels de Camping group sites - we were tenters back in those days. One of the best was La Garrangeoire which is mid- Vendee, about an hour from Normoutier, and handy for the Vendee beaches which are very child friendly. The site is big, but split into areas (many wooded), and it’s surrounded by 200 hectares of woods and lakes, with paths and bike trails. Some decent vineyards around for the grown ups, plus golf if that’s your thing. It will be busy, so book early.

We love the Atlantic coast and Ile de Re. I would recommend this campsite particularly with children as it’s on a large freshwater lake, has a nearby town with good facilities and a huge network of cycleways which take you to the beach. The site isn’t too hectic as the freshwater lake just outside the campsite grounds has the entertainment.
https://europe.huttopia.com/en/site...AYvGoHwToIVn3SxMADN9CFY9RNFjzhpBoCmqUQAvD_BwE
We also stayed at camping Maissoneuve many years ago when our lad was about 5, and at the time that was a great site with swimming and a natural river pool to swim in, albeit very cold. It was a short walk or cycle ride to restaurants and the nearby town, so again and not too hectic. It was a really beautiful place with hot air balloons passing over the top of the site daily. The river Dordogne isn’t too far away for the obligatory river trip, or canoe ride?

This place is great, reads like my worst nightmare with swimming pools, entertainment etc…but its actually very chilled and a short walk to Beach. There is a nice Lake which is great for SUP’s, sailing dingy hire & lifeguarded swimming area - 5 mins drive away, or, bike road through the forest bike tracks:

This place is great, reads like my worst nightmare with swimming pools, entertainment etc…but its actually very chilled and a short walk to Beach. There is a nice Lake which is great for SUP’s, sailing dingy hire & lifeguarded swimming area - 5 mins drive away, or, bike road through the forest bike tracks:

This is so good to know as was looking at this and wondering if it would suit us - really good to hear it's more chilled than it looks. I think that's on top of list for that area now.

We love the Atlantic coast and Ile de Re. I would recommend this campsite particularly with children as it’s on a large freshwater lake, has a nearby town with good facilities and a huge network of cycleways which take you to the beach. The site isn’t too hectic as the freshwater lake just outside the campsite grounds has the entertainment.
https://europe.huttopia.com/en/site...AYvGoHwToIVn3SxMADN9CFY9RNFjzhpBoCmqUQAvD_BwE
We also stayed at camping Maissoneuve many years ago when our lad was about 5, and at the time that was a great site with swimming and a natural river pool to swim in, albeit very cold. It was a short walk or cycle ride to restaurants and the nearby town, so again and not too hectic. It was a really beautiful place with hot air balloons passing over the top of the site daily. The river Dordogne isn’t too far away for the obligatory river trip, or canoe ride?
Great to know about Masionneauve I'm going to book that as soon as I've slotted in the dates before there. I looked at Caracans as well I need to email them as the pitch options were a bit limited but I think it will be fine. We were toying with sleeping in our tent and using van to drive around but tent options are only got very small tents. Not a deal breaker we will sleep in the van and park the tent sleeping idea. Thanks for suggestions.

I was in the same region last Spring although didn't travel with kids. A mix of 3-4 days wild camping followed by a day on a campsite. Puy de Fou was great and I can thoroughly recommend it but be prepared for lines.
Sorry this might be a daft question, but what are you queuing up for on a campsite?

Sorry this might be a daft question, but what are you queuing up for on a campsite?
Not the campsites, but at the Puy de Fou theme park. Its a massive international attraction with crowds to match.

Unfortunately, if you want to secure a campsite in SW France in July and August. You will probably need to book.
We did wing it last year, however we had the Hymer and didn’t mind a few aires and off grid options. We stayed at a couple of campsites when there was availability.
They’re all very busy.

This one was pretty good. Campsite was full, but they had an empty field adjacent. We jumped at the opportunity…

IMG_9147.jpeg

We have done ferry to Santander and drive back to Calais via Ile de Re the last two years. Our kids are now 10 and 13yrs. I wrote a post about our 2022 trip, below. Our kids loved both trips but last summer the ferry was very rough so this year we are doing the tunnel both ways and the above suggestions are helpful to us too.
For 14 years we have used the Cool Camping France book and never had a bad site.

Yeah I didn't realise it was a thing either before I started to research but some big sites the reviews say massive queues for toilets, showers etc in peak times. Can't face that type of busy site.

We have done ferry to Santander and drive back to Calais via Ile de Re the last two years. Our kids are now 10 and 13yrs. I wrote a post about our 2022 trip, below. Our kids loved both trips but last summer the ferry was very rough so this year we are doing the tunnel both ways and the above suggestions are helpful to us too.
For 14 years we have used the Cool Camping France book and never had a bad site.

Fantastic thanks for sharing will definitely give this a good read, so great to hear about other peoples travel experiences. Thanks

Unfortunately, if you want to secure a campsite in SW France in July and August. You will probably need to book.
We did wing it last year, however we had the Hymer and didn’t mind a few aires and off grid options. We stayed at a couple of campsites when there was availability.
They’re all very busy.

This one was pretty good. Campsite was full, but they had an empty field adjacent. We jumped at the opportunity…

View attachment 117964
We've now booked our first one and middle ones just some in between to figure out now and will probably just wing that last few days as we can be flexible between Loire and Normandy before jumping on ferry at Caen home. Your Hymer looks great - envious of the space!

Normandy before jumping on ferry at Caen home.
One for on the way home / on the way down - not a big drive to / from Caen, decent toll free roads all the way.

pitches close to the Inlet, big site but really well spaced out.

55E88D5D-4282-492C-B687-3EF2308E825C.jpeg

F1AD2E2E-656C-4119-BD67-B0BF14F551CC.jpeg

390230D8-7DCD-4BB8-B62C-E757B0CE95FF.jpeg

Very nice prospects!
About traveling with kids: it is now the 10th year that we have been traveling with children (now 5 and 9) with a California (first T4 Westfalia, now T6.1 Coast) and then you are bound by school holidays if you want to travel together. Certainly not a problem for us: I love traveling with the four of us. I also applaud the fact that people are traveling spread out and not all sitting together during those quite busy summer months in some places. Although I personally find it very pleasant to travel around during those months; You know, we travel around and rarely stay at a campsite because we mainly use camperplaces -found with apps like Park4Night- to spend the night and leave the next day to discover new fascinating places. The islands: we did Île de Re, Il d'Oléron and Île de Noirmoutier (not together but one each time for three summers in a row). We stayed there for four to five days at a campsite mainly for the children -swimming pool, playground- and for us to do the laundry. Many of them have a beautiful location near the beach. You can drive around the islands with your cali or bicycle. I may have a slight preference for Île de Noirmoutier, due to the passage de Gois.
For such a trip to the west coast, for example, we don't plan much but just travel around, but everyone has their own choice of course. You make it as quiet as you want. Le Mans could be something (nice museum an I loved the walk along the circuit) and the Loire area is very beautiful to drive in. I have read and heard a lot of good things about Puy Du Fou, but have never visited it (I will try it someday, but for now we are happy visiting other, real historical sites during our travels; each to his own, of course).
We did the North of Spain last summer but that's another story.
Have fun during all your travels.
Greetings

Last edited:
A few years back, we enjoyed Sequoia Parc.

In Dordogne, Le Capeyrou is lovely.

You must do Puy De Fou. Great place.

We did Ile d'Oleron for last week July / first week in Aug back in 2022 and stayed here -

Camping Ile d'Oleron APV l'Anse des Pins 4 étoiles

Chose Oleron as heard it was less pricey and more accessible than neighbouring islands. The campsite was fab, great pool area and facilities, quick 5 mins walk to a lovely beach that was also great for rockpooling once the tide was out. There was also a daily market in the village (we took bikes but was maybe a 15 min walk there) so found that handy. At night the campsite was quiet, we were over the other side to the bar etc so didn't get any noise etc; our daughter was 5 so we didn't stay for any of the evening 'animations' so not sure how busy they were. Kids club was each morning and each afternoon and despite our daughter being the only English speaker to go, she was there every day and loved it. Overall, a fab campsite and great island to visit. Hope that helps :)

We've now booked our first one and middle ones just some in between to figure out now and will probably just wing that last few days as we can be flexible between Loire and Normandy before jumping on ferry at Caen home. Your Hymer looks great - envious of the space!
Think about the Municipal sites. Found in small towns, large villages. Excellent showers etc: close to centre and often next door to town/village leisure facilities such as Leisure Centres or play parks etc. and relatively cheap. Many can't be booked but none of the ones Ive ever visited were more than half full. Often away from the coast in the countryside with shops/cafes on doorstep.

This is so good to know as was looking at this and wondering if it would suit us - really good to hear it's more chilled than it looks. I think that's on top of list for that area now.
We've been to this site for many years (Eurocamp to start and then Camping in our Cali)... kids love it (When they were young they liked the calm of the lake & now they love the waves of the beach and the forest cycling). The site can be busy but I think they have redone the pool area for 2024. The reviews don't always look good, but this is usually individuals that have gone early season and facilities aren't open. We preferred a pitch away from the main area and so a lot quieter. It's not for everyone, but every year we've tried to go somewhere else to explore, but the kids always wanted to return to this site.

+ 1 for camping Ile d'Oléron APV l'Anse des Pins, been there end of July 2019.
also + 1 for the camping municipals; With a municipal campsite it can go in all directions: from very simple to higher price ranges and each with their advantages. Yet, more and more municipal campsites are disappearing every year. Many become part of the network of stopover sites Camping-Car Park. We use this a lot and with great satisfaction.

Last edited:
We've been to this site for many years (Eurocamp to start and then Camping in our Cali)... kids love it (When they were young they liked the calm of the lake & now they love the waves of the beach and the forest cycling). The site can be busy but I think they have redone the pool area for 2024. The reviews don't always look good, but this is usually individuals that have gone early season and facilities aren't open. We preferred a pitch away from the main area and so a lot quieter. It's not for everyone, but every year we've tried to go somewhere else to explore, but the kids always wanted to return to this site.
Great that's really helpful to hear, sounds like a great site. Even if we dont manage this year it's definitely on the list for futur

Think about the Municipal sites. Found in small towns, large villages. Excellent showers etc: close to centre and often next door to town/village leisure facilities such as Leisure Centres or play parks etc. and relatively cheap. Many can't be booked but none of the ones Ive ever visited were more than half full. Often away from the coast in the countryside with shops/cafes on doorstep.
Great thanks, I've heard great stuff about municipals I think I'll have a look for some for the middle of our trip

Back