Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG, Delay Before Pulling Away

It is not a problem on ours. I have had a number of automatics over the years, including a 2002 Audi A6 V6, and the DSG on our 140ps Cali compares very well. For a very quick getaway I use semi-automatic then it will stay in first gear until you change up. That has been my approach with all modern automatics.

jonroe said:
It is not a problem on ours. I have had a number of automatics over the years, including a 2002 Audi A6 V6, and the DSG on our 140ps Cali compares very well. For a very quick getaway I use semi-automatic then it will stay in first gear until you change up. That has been my approach with all modern automatics.

That does not work on my DSG cali. ECU has last say on gears even in 'manual' mode, if it thinks you are reving too hard it will just go up a gear. Same with slowing in 'manual' if it thinks you will stall engine it goes down a gear.

We are 2000 miles into our new 180 SE with DSG and have not had any problems with hesitation when pulling away. In fact, even when the BM gubbins cuts the engine for you at the lights, by the time my foot has moved from the brake to the gas pedal the engine is back running and ready to go straight off, and as someone else has already posted - it's take off speed can surprise some cars as well...
As for the DSG in general, it is sublime and suits perfectly the more 'relaxed' driving style I adopt when driving a 3 tonne vehicle. I enjoy a manual gearbox immensely and previous cars range from a series 2 LandRover which needed to be 'double declutched' to an M3 Evo which responded well to a bit of heel and toe-ing, but now I am happy to relax, put my left foot up and let the clever electronics do their thing.

The weird thing is that this "issue" seems to be a bit random.
The 140 DSG Caravelle I had for a week was a nightmare on our rural, hilly roads - on a trip to London and back is made more sense but I still couldn't live with it.
And the VW CC was better (it was fairly new but run in) but still drove me up the wall.

But I'm sure the ones here saying it's fine aren't making it up - just seems like pot luck really. Or maybe it's to do with driving style?!

Can we start a poll to understand which DSG is suffering from this issue ?

140 DSG Yes / No
180 DSG Yes / No
180 DSG 4 Motion Yes / No

:thanks

NO delay on my new 180 DSG 4Motion. Even after Stop/Start.

WelshGas said:

I don't have stop start on my 2012 so maybe they have changed something to stop the delay !

Doh!!!!!
BlueMotion.

GrannyJen said:
Gregc said:
WelshGas said:

Same here.

Mine doesn't go at all when in stop :eek:

What am I doing wrong? :crazy

I'd get yours to the dealer urgently...

Is grey the most popular 4motion colour? It would appear so!

I had a Golf R with DSG, uphill, trailing throttle then turning into a corner and accelerating it had a circa 1.5s delay in what felt like neutral. I tried an identical car, same issue. Tried 5 other DSG's all the same. Hated it, bizarre and now back to manuals. If you braked uphill it was less evident but still there.

Hi, I have a front wheel drive 2010 180DSG Caravelle, does exactly the same. Need to press accelerator then count "one thousand" "two thousand" before the engine management takes note. Sport helps (not with the delay) but when it decides to move off at least it holds 1st and 2nd for a bit longer in case you are in a tight squeeze. I had the van from new - but only tested a 140 version which from memory did not exhibit the same characteristic. I also have an early Audi 3.2 TT with DSG and it doesn't hesitate a bit.. but I guess it is lighter and maybe the 'box is mapped differently. The delay would certainly make me think twice before buying another Caravelle. Apart from the gearbox delay the vehicle has been very reliable and practical. When I spoke with the service people about it I got a lecture about how DSG boxes work... methinks I wasn't the first to complain! Certainly would test drive before replacing with the same..

MartynG

Hello,
Is not some of this delay down to turbo lag, especially if you are starting from scratch going for a gap in the traffic. As suggested above with driving style, put your foot down that little bit sooner to compensate. Yes, getting out of the manual driving mode that a lot of us have been used to takes a bit of training. I have a silver 180ps 4 motion Crewvan and it does take some new learnt technics. Thanks for that great article back there.

yeah i have same lag....dsg lag...6000 miles on cali...plus steering knock...this lag reminds of the days gone by with dead spots in an old Carburetor, it always use to happen when pulling out at a junction much like a cali...lol.

Just bought a DTUK chip to help free up the cali...have yet to install. The compnay says it could help with dsg lag. we shall see.

JcCali said:
yeah i have same lag....dsg lag...6000 miles on cali...plus steering knock...this lag reminds of the days gone by with dead spots in an old Carburetor, it always use to happen when pulling out at a junction much like a cali...lol.

Just bought a DTUK chip to help free up the cali...have yet to install. The compnay says it could help with dsg lag. we shall see.

Please keep us update with the outcome of fitting the Chip.

will do....think there will be a few 180 dsg 4motions owners interested in this...this spec could do with a little help to maximise its full potential....will be fitting it later this week ..and experimenting with the settings.

I also got this to help with the MPG....though it might not be a great increase it might help..mine has suffered with the recent recall on sorting out cali's that go in to limp mode...from what i understand the the software update causes a some loss in mpg...but the system is suppose to eventually relearn. My MPG is pretty shocking at moment.

I'll start a new post in the techincal section so no to take over this one when i have installed.

I read about the DSG problem just a few days before collecting my 180DSG 4-motion last week and since then have been paying attention to the way it pulls away at roundabouts etc. Comparing the Cali with a Discovery 3 that I owned recently I would say they are very similar in size, weight, and performance (Including pulling away from standstill). Whilst neither car is brilliant at pulling away, I can't say it was a problem on the Disco and the Cali seems fine to me. Sport mode doesn't seem to make any difference to pulling away on my Cali.

it does seem to affect owners 50/50 from reading all the forums.!..

MCh1777 said:
I read about the DSG problem just a few days before collecting my 180DSG 4-motion last week and since then have been paying attention to the way it pulls away at roundabouts etc. Comparing the Cali with a Discovery 3 that I owned recently I would say they are very similar in size, weight, and performance (Including pulling away from standstill). Whilst neither car is brilliant at pulling away, I can't say it was a problem on the Disco and the Cali seems fine to me. Sport mode doesn't seem to make any difference to pulling away on my Cali.

If your new Cali is Bluemotion then is seems to not suffer with the problem, us earlier Cali owners most defiantly benefit from using sports mode on pulling away.

mines bluemotion and has the problem...i originally thought it was turbo lag...or the aircon draining power until i found over a million results on the net about dsg lag...lol..

I had mine re-maped by memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6377 who are a sponsor. 10% discount.

Transforms performance, no DSG lag. Only downside fuel consumption is slightly worse. But it actually makes the van less like a van much more responsive. Had it over a year now no issues to report just works.

I found the info In Welshgas post very helpful. My most noticeable delay (which did make me feel very wary of what might happen in other circumstances) was after a short incline at a local mini roundabout, I braked briefly, saw nothing was coming from the right, the bin lorry to my left stopped to give way to me however, when I put my foot down after the brief halt, it felt like it took forever and a day to move. No scary near miss or anything, just very disconcerting. I have to admit that I have never experienced this again, either at roundabouts or when pulling away at lights and I guess I probably, without thinking, allow the car to engage properly in drive before accelerating as I'm not one for being in a rush and I really enjoy driving the Cali with DSG.
The info from the post means I am less concerned about that situation happening at my regular, level road, right turn across 2 lanes of 70mph dual carriageway as it was probably due to the incline, braking then immediately trying to climb onto the crest at the roundabout.

Sport mode
I do have a regular length of 50mph carriageway with umpteen roundabouts and due to the DSG preference for higher gears in Drive mode, I prefer to select sport on this stretch and on winding, undulating country roads. I'm pleased that it's not just a case of putting up with drive in all circumstances, the DSG box is supplied with Drive and Sport mode as well as manual mode to enable it to suit different situations and driving styles.

Thanks Welshgas for the informative post and sorry for my post being long winded, summarising isn't my strong point as I'm sure you've noticed :oops:

I just put mine in first and pull away. 4motion stops any scrabbling so you can make surprisingly quick getaways when needed.

My old BMW auto had a slight hesitation pulling away unless you engaged Sport. No lag at all in the current (auto) one; it just goes.

Both DSGs I've driven (new Caravelle, new CC) have hesitated a lot.

Sounds like its about 50/50 but may depend a wee bit on driving style.
The Carvelle's DSG box drove me up the wall, not just pulling away. A shame as it was otherwise really good.

aye...using the"creeping" technique helps..!

Back