Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Delay when pulling away

We have the delay on ours, we took it into VW back in October and the master technician took the van out for a test drive and agreed the delay should not be there. The fault has been logged with VW and we are just awaiting an outcome. It is disgusting this fault is also on the T6 !! I also own another VW with a DSG gearbox (a touareg 3.0) and there is no delay on that , the touareg is also a heavy beast)
Not good. Having owned a VW with DSG I was assuming at least this was one less concern I would have. It appears not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair if you don't get it right with the manual gearbox (which is obviously far superior to the DSG ;)) it can take bit to get the beast moving....all part of the wonderful Cali experience ! Hope you get it sorted soon...

I have once or twice noticed a lag, but only that, nothing alarming, just something to almost subconsciously get used to and adapt to.

I don't buy that this is normal! I have a 2014 Golf GTI with a DSG box and there is no delay at all, I realise the Cali is much heavier but surely this should be compensated for. If I had known about this I would have purchased a manual, to me it feels dangerous
I agree. We bought a T5 4 Motion manual and after suffering some post purchase dissonance on whether we should have gone for the DSG gearbox instead I went back to VW and test drove a DSG model 2 wheel drive with the same engine. I came back happy we'd made the right decision. The found the lag intolerable in the DSG. Of course that's just my opinion and I know others find it quite acceptable.

We had our DSG box replaced on our old T5 under warranty cos of the delay, totally cured the problem so VW must be aware of the fault.

We had our DSG box replaced on our old T5 under warranty cos of the delay, totally cured the problem so VW must be aware of the fault.

So the delay is realy a fault in the gearbox....strange....

It was for us, I did have to kick up a fuss with VWCS to get it replaced before my warranty expired. We have two other DSG gearbox vehicles in our household, NONE of the others had a delay.

Well all I can say is, understand how the DSG box works, and make the most of it and you won't be left behind at the traffic lights.
It is not the same as a standard auto box and torque converter. If, as one of the above posters had, you have excessive delay then you could have a fault.
If, you drive using a manual box and " drive on the brakes " in other words either accelerating or braking and not using engine braking and gear breaking ie: changing down through the gears and using engine as well as brake pad braking to slow then you could have a problem of your own making.
Please don't say people don't do that, I know plenty of people who maintain it is cheaper to replace brake pads than a gearbox broken by using it to slow down and if you are one of those then you will have to alter your driving style to cope with the DSG.

I'm beginning to think that some people have this problem and others don't. I was prepared to live with it but I'm beginning to think that it needs to go back to VW.

Could do with all us DSG owners having a drag race start to see if they are all the same, or if some are worse than others o_O

Just to clarify, the problem mine exhibits is that it doesn't respond immediately when you accelerate from a standstill. There also seems to be another issue. As soon as the van moves it immediately changes into second gear. First seems to be too low, but you can't make it start off in second even in manual mode.

In real life, what this means is that I need to wait for a fairly large gap before pulling into the traffic stream. For instance, the other day at a mini roundabout I was stuck for quite a while while other cars were able to slip into the traffic from the lane beside me.

I've tried all the tips that have been listed, and none of them makes any significant difference.

You should not have to adopt a special type of driving for a fault! Like I said, both our Golfs have no delay at all, this is how we knew it was a fault.

We also have a DSG Golf which accelerates fine, but it is a much lighter vehicle. We need to assess whether it is a fault, or a characteristic of the DSG gearbox application as fitted in a heavy vehicle like the Cali.

How to go about this I'm not sure.

If it's just a characteristic of the Cali I'll live with it as otherwise it works very well. If it's a fault it can go back to get fixed!

We had a Caravelle as a loaner and the delay was still there but nowhere near as bad as the Cali which also lead the dealer to believe it was due to the weight.

As far as I am concerned the DSG box is not up to the job in a heavy vehicle like the Cali, the unrated box they replaced it with is now fine, what is the unrated box?

You also need to think, is this putting a strain on the box ready to fail outside of warranty?

The California has a very low 1st gear, literally for creep mode or to get it moving and then changing to 2nd. This is common in most heavy diesels. My Defender had it, but on that it could be started moving in 2nd.
In 1st, the Defender, would start on a hill with no accelerator or pull 3tons on the flat with no accelerator input just anti-stall.
Changing into 2nd almost immediately is normal. Will happen at higher revs if in Sport Mode.
No immediate acceleration means either
1. There is a fault with the box
2. The DSG 1 box does not have 1st gear engaged, because when stationary DSG 1 should be in 1st and DSG 2 in 2nd, but if you accelerated upto the Stop sign and immediately applied brakes then DSG 1 could be in a higher gear so before starting off it has to change down to 1st before drive can be engaged. Allowing creep forward will ensure 1st gear is engaged.
Everyone keeps comparing the Golf DSG with the California. They probably have 2 totally different DSG software packages because of the different engine characteristics and vastly different vehicle weights etc. Like comparing chalk and cheese.

We had a Caravelle as a loaner and the delay was still there but nowhere near as bad as the Cali which also lead the dealer to believe it was due to the weight.

As far as I am concerned the DSG box is not up to the job in a heavy vehicle like the Cali, the unrated box they replaced it with is now fine, what is the unrated box?

You also need to think, is this putting a strain on the box ready to fail outside of warranty?
A lot of T5 commercials have the DSG box, so carrying heavy loads, stop start running etc. DSG problems rarely , very rarely are reported on the T5 Forums, so I would suggest that the DSG box not being suitable for heavy vehicles is lacking in substantiated evidence.

Let's hope the T6 has the new updated DSG gearbox ?

2011 T5 180 DSG 4motion. The slight delay from standing start is normal. Overcome this by 1) getting used to it or 2) Engaging manual mode for start. IMO the advantages of DSG for city driving far outweigh this minor irritant. On a lot of New Zealand's windy slow roads I drive in manual mode anyway.

A lot of T5 commercials have the DSG box, so carrying heavy loads, stop start running etc. DSG problems rarely , very rarely are reported on the T5 Forums, so I would suggest that the DSG box not being suitable for heavy vehicles is lacking in substantiated evidence.
Our local ambulances are DSG now. And they are packed to the brim with kit

I had a manual on hire a couple of years ago.

I lost count of the number of times I found myself parked in the middle of busy roundabouts whilst I stirred the gear stick looking for a useful gear to "get me out of here!"....

Then I got used to driving a manual again... although the number of times I stalled it and sat there sweetly smiling in my mirror whilst the nice man behind was throwing hands in the air did not win me many friends.

Yes, I can induce a lag in mine, just like the old days of turbo lag when you found yourself on the opposite side of the road with oncoming traffic and proceeding past the car you wish to overtake at the pace of a geriatric snail...

Then you get used to it and adapt. I must say the lag can be alarming but relatively easy to get used to and avoid.

After reading this, I have just been on a trip to exmoor, and played a bit
So mine has a delay
But
If, as per Welshgas, I roll a little , then zoom, it is off
Also
If I slow down gently, till the dashboard sais D1, then again,,,,zoom, we are straight out of the blocks, with the front lifting a little

Last edited:
Hi everyone, we collected our brand new T6 Ocean DSG 204ps on last Monday and apart from our brake light falling out we have now found there is a delay when pulling away, it is not much but enough to scare you when pulling out on a busy roundabout or ovetaking. I have hade automatics for the past 20 years and have never experienced this problem.
Do I need to go back to VW?
Thanks
Andrew
Is the delay due to blue motion technology.

The delay is also on the T6, has been reported to dealer and VWCS awaiting reply

Is the delay due to blue motion technology.
Nothing to do with BlueMotion but due to the fact that the DSG is not just one gearbox with a torque converter. It is 2 gearboxes that work in tandem . See the documentation I have posted on this thread.
If you are in the wrong gear at a slow speed such as when you require acceleration you would normally change down , on a manual box, then the DSG has to do the same.
If you read the article and adapt your driving style slightly then you'll soon accommodate . It is no different than moving from an automatic to manual gears.:thumb

We also had the delay on our old van, I am hoping the problem is sorted on the T6 !

AAAAGGGHHH, but it often isn't a problem,
It is a highly evolved gearbox that need special driving techniques.
The problem is that VW don't tell you how to drive it when you are deciding wether to choose the van

Back