Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Delay when pulling away

A

Andrew Christian

Hi everyone, we collected our brand new T6 Ocean DSG 204ps on last Monday and apart from our brake light falling out we have now found there is a delay when pulling away, it is not much but enough to scare you when pulling out on a busy roundabout or ovetaking. I have hade automatics for the past 20 years and have never experienced this problem.
Do I need to go back to VW?
Thanks
Andrew

Hi Andrew welcome. I believe it's the dsg gearbox that causes this I have not owned a dsg myself but have read lots of posts on the subject

Hi everyone, we collected our brand new T6 Ocean DSG 204ps on last Monday and apart from our brake light falling out we have now found there is a delay when pulling away, it is not much but enough to scare you when pulling out on a busy roundabout or ovetaking. I have hade automatics for the past 20 years and have never experienced this problem.
Do I need to go back to VW?
Thanks
Andrew
That is basically because the DSG box is not like an Automatic box with Torque Converter. Please read the attached file for a full explanation.

Attachments

• DSG.pdf
    78.7 KB · Views: 101
This is standard for the DSG.

Usually a problem when joining traffic at a roundabout.

Just a small adjustment to your driving style will solve the issue. Let the van creep a little before accelerating off, i.e ease the foot-brake a smidge earlier than you would do with a manual and the box will then select the right gear and all will be well.

Alan

Last edited:
Ours is the first and only "auto" gear box I have ever driven never had any issue but being a "geriatric" perhaps I am slow off the mark when pulling away.

As others have said many past post from new DSG users. I think as my 1st auto I just changed style without knowing.

Last edited:
Andrew,

For me, the DSG box works better if you just give it a clue as to what you want ever-so-slightly in advance of when you actually need it.

If you're waiting for traffic lights to go green or getting ready to join the roundabout, just come up off that brake a little earlier & maintain it in the upper 20% or so. The "go" response from the throttle is instant from there on.

I don't buy that this is normal! I have a 2014 Golf GTI with a DSG box and there is no delay at all, I realise the Cali is much heavier but surely this should be compensated for. If I had known about this I would have purchased a manual, to me it feels dangerous

I found the DSG a joy when I have driven Calis with it ... no old duffer stalling! Pulling off was fine but I never did it hard...as other say gingerly release brake light touch on gas and its away...I never noticed any delays as such so maybe ask dealer if you are unhappy?

I don't buy that this is normal! I have a 2014 Golf GTI with a DSG box and there is no delay at all, I realise the Cali is much heavier but surely this should be compensated for. If I had known about this I would have purchased a manual, to me it feels dangerous
Never had an issue on my Touran. Have read pdf from Welshgas and previous threads. Going out soon and will try to make it delay. Perhaps I have just adapted over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should have done your homework more thoroughly as there are a number of threads on this and other forums.
The Bluemotion is also different on the T6. On the T5 when Bluemotion is engaged and engine stopped then raising footbrake to top 20% will restart engine. On T6 it will not restart until accelerator is depressed. So is your problem due to tthe DSG or the BlueMotion?

As my 2012 SE with DSG is my first verhicle with a non manual gearbox i find it very sweet to drive and never had the feeling it did not pulled away as it supposed to....
As i say in many other treads : it is a van not a racingcar....the DSG might be diffrent on setting in a Cali than on say on a Golf or so...
...o you do got the handbreak fully down....do you...?

Ok just had a short drive and tried to make it delay. I succeeded if I pressed firmly on the brake as I stopped and then on pulling away harshly jumped in the accelerator. I then managed to get a short delay and wheel spin. I just don't drive that way so don't get a problem. I cannot say for the Cali as I have not driven one. I am to say the least a progressive driver but never went through clutches or brake pads. I reckon you will adapt. At least I hope you do as I am intending to get the 204 with DSG and 4 motion.

Last edited:
One last thought. Perhaps as Touran is very powerful for its size and easy to spin up the front wheels I have adapted. As said by others a gentle creep forward then hit the power.

Ok just had a short drive and tried to make it delay. I succeeded if I stomped on the brake at junctuon

Agree. That is because the 2nd gear box had not changed into 1st ready for start . It was probably in 3rd or 4th. So when you pressed on the gas the 2nd box had to Change to 1st gear before drive was engaged. As per the article.
If you slow via the gears and only use the brake at the end then the 2nd box should always be in the correct gear.

WG, this change to the Bluemotion setup is something I wasn't aware of, so thanks for letting me know. (Seems I definitely didn't do my homework...:oops:)
Oh well, sounds like a quick tap of the throttle (before I actually need it) to restart & get me back on track is all that's needed? Quite happy to live with that.
Cheers :thumb

Last edited:
When we picked our Cali there were a few things which didn't seem quite right or we weren't sure about .. we just lived with it over few months as we got used to things....it actually turned out that we resolved everything...(obviously the dealer (possibly)/forum can answer lots of questions). Never driven the dsg but it seems to be a good piece of kit and probably just needs persevering with...

WG, this change to the Bluemotion setup is something I wasn't aware of, so thanks for letting me know. (Seems I definitely didn't do my homework...:oops:)
Oh well, sounds like a quick tap of the throttle (before I actually need it) to restart & get me back on track is all that's needed? Quite happy to live with that.
Cheers :thumb
The DSG does take some getting used too.
It is basically 2 gear boxes, DSG 1 covers 1,3,5,7th gears and DSG 2,4,6th gears.
If you accelerate unto 30mph and your in 4th gear in DSG1, then DSG 2 will be in 5th waiting for you to accelerate. If you then stop quickly with the footbrake you will stop with DSG 2 still in 5th gear. When you start off then DSG 2 has to change down to 1st gear first , hence a delay. Creep forward before starting off then DSG 2 will change to 1st gear ready for the power to be applied.
Also, another factor is the Regenerative Braking. Basically some of the footbrake retardation is Engine Braking, to keep the alternator revs up hence charging the battery more. This keeps the engine revs higher so will impact on the gears selected by the DSG box.
So engine braking and creeping forward will ensure you are in the correct gear for the OFF.

Sport Mode increases the revs held in each gear for acceleration BUT also increases engine braking. Useful in hilly country or lots of roundabouts as in Milton Keynes!:thumb

Scared the pants off me when we first got Starlight. I do the slight crawl before pulling off and I don't notice it any more.

Opposite for me at the moment. We've gone "green" and replaced the other car for a hybrid. The take off response with the electric motors is instant.

Opposite for me at the moment. We've gone "green" and replaced the other car for a hybrid. The take off response with the electric motors is instant.
We did the same, DSG gearbox, no delay whatsoever.

It is normal for the Cali, but it's not right. As others have explained you can work around it most of the time but you still get those scary moments :Nailbiting and horns blowing at you :eek:

It is normal for the Cali, but it's not right. As others have explained you can work around it most of the time but you still get those scary moments :Nailbiting and horns blowing at you :eek:
Never had horns blowing at me and if I put my mind to it no problem being first away from Traffic lights. Roundabouts not a problem. It weighs 3000kgms with a very short 1st gear in common with most heavy diesel vehicles but it can still be driven with some panache or not, as you wish.

Oops I mean the delay is now more noticeable due to the hybrid

We have the delay on ours, we took it into VW back in October and the master technician took the van out for a test drive and agreed the delay should not be there. The fault has been logged with VW and we are just awaiting an outcome. It is disgusting this fault is also on the T6 !! I also own another VW with a DSG gearbox (a touareg 3.0) and there is no delay on that , the touareg is also a heavy beast)

Back