Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Delay when pulling away

I also find that I have had to adjust my driving style to accommodate the DSG box, occasionally pulling away so slowly that I am uncomfortably close to oncoming traffic and at other times spinning and juddering the front wheels like a boy racer. My passengers are often unimpressed. I think it is a result of all of the issues previously mentioned - DSG design and also aggressive tuning in order to try and minimise emissions. I previously had a mild hybrid RR Evoque with a 200 HP petrol engine and that was also a real slouch initially at pulling away - seems to be more of a trend with many modern cars. As others have suggested, I tend to lift the brake enough to let the engine restart when I expect to move and creep a little so that matey next to me at the lights thinks I want to have a burn off and then pull away gracefully - unless its wet and on an uphill slope and then I do the boy racer spinning wheels regardless!!

I also find that I have had to adjust my driving style to accommodate the DSG box, occasionally pulling away so slowly that I am uncomfortably close to oncoming traffic and at other times spinning and juddering the front wheels like a boy racer. My passengers are often unimpressed. I think it is a result of all of the issues previously mentioned - DSG design and also aggressive tuning in order to try and minimise emissions. I previously had a mild hybrid RR Evoque with a 200 HP petrol engine and that was also a real slouch initially at pulling away - seems to be more of a trend with many modern cars. As others have suggested, I tend to lift the brake enough to let the engine restart when I expect to move and creep a little so that matey next to me at the lights thinks I want to have a burn off and then pull away gracefully - unless its wet and on an uphill slope and then I do the boy racer spinning wheels regardless!!
There is an update they can make to the DSG software to more or less cure this problem. In my view there should be a recall as it is a safety issue but it’s the opposite. I had to press my dealer to do it at the last service, they initially denied there was any update, and it took a couple of hours but we’ll worth it.

Have you guys ever driven other automatic cars ?The delay in pulling away is common in many if not all auto cars. There's aways a delay , I believe the car has to figure out how much gas you are giving, what gear you should be in and changing to that gear, how much to release the clutch.
On a manual you already manually put the desired gear, and dose gas and clutch subconsciously differently if you want to star slow, fast, on a hill, overtake etc...
The automatic cannot read your mind. it only has instant gas position as your input...
The only car I drove that had no lag whatsoever was a 5,2 V8 Grand Cherokee a few years back. Not a car designed to be fuel efficient in the engine or gearbox...

One of the reasons I went for the 4Motion. Not fussed with 5mpg less than a FWD.
But I also have an annoying 2 second delay when starting from stopped.
This is a MY23 ocean. Would the dealer update the DSG firmware / software to enable a swifter response ?

Have you guys ever driven other automatic cars ?The delay in pulling away is common in many if not all auto cars. There's aways a delay , I believe the car has to figure out how much gas you are giving, what gear you should be in and changing to that gear, how much to release the clutch.
On a manual you already manually put the desired gear, and dose gas and clutch subconsciously differently if you want to star slow, fast, on a hill, overtake etc...
The automatic cannot read your mind. it only has instant gas position as your input...
The only car I drove that had no lag whatsoever was a 5,2 V8 Grand Cherokee a few years back. Not a car designed to be fuel efficient in the engine or gearbox...
Yep, had the following auto’s.
BMW 3 and 5
Skoda Supurb.
MY 21 RR Evoque and Velar
Long term.
Almost every Sixt rental car you can imagine for 3 days for 7 years. Always Autos.
Nothing is as bad as the VW Ocean.
I have to press the accelerator when a car is on an island in front of me, then when it’s passed me after 2 seconds then the Ocean goes :rolleyes:

Yep, had the following auto’s.
BMW 3 and 5
Skoda Supurb.
MY 21 RR Evoque and Velar
Long term.
Almost every Sixt rental car you can imagine for 3 days for 7 years. Always Autos.
Nothing is as bad as the VW Ocean.
I have to press the accelerator when a car is on an island in front of me, then when it’s passed me after 2 seconds then the Ocean goes :rolleyes:
I've been driving Autos as well for the past 8 years, and they all lag more or less. I agree the the Cali lags more, but it has by far the worse Ps/Tonn or torque/weight ratio than regular cars. The heavier the ship the longer the response delay ...

One of the reasons I went for the 4Motion. Not fussed with 5mpg less than a FWD.
But I also have an annoying 2 second delay when starting from stopped.
This is a MY23 ocean. Would the dealer update the DSG firmware / software to enable a swifter response ?
agree. DSG 204ps without 4m you'll be changing front tyres every 6 months :D

I've been driving Autos as well for the past 8 years, and they all lag more or less. I agree the the Cali lags more, but it has by far the worse Ps/Tonn or torque/weight ratio than regular cars. The heavier the ship the longer the response delay ...
Need to have both Engine & DSG mapped :thumb

Try resetting the “learned” gearbox behaviour & clutch bite point :

turn on ignition (do not crank)
push the accelerator pedal to the floor &
hold the pedal on the floor for about 20 seconds (you should feel a click through the pedal & the gearbox may make a noise)
restart and drive as normal

Try resetting the “learned” gearbox behaviour & clutch bite point :

turn on ignition (do not crank)
push the accelerator pedal to the floor &
hold the pedal on the floor for about 20 seconds (you should feel a click through the pedal & the gearbox may make a noise)
restart and drive as normal
Wowzer. Is this a thing. I’ll try it and report back !

You need to know how to use the DSG box. It is NOT an Automatic gearbox with torque converter.
See below.

Attachments

• DSG_230114_122020.pdf
    101.1 KB · Views: 38
Absolutely. It now picks up a lot quicker.
Great news. The flat spot and subsequent wheel spin is far from ideal. Even with my best modified driving technique (that I've never had to do on any other vehicle) it still makes roundabouts lively.

I will give it a try this weekend.

Interesting thread here from a couple of years ago a software update for the ECU seemed to resolve the issue on a late T6.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

You need to know how to use the DSG box. It is NOT an Automatic gearbox with torque converter.
See below.
I’ve read this guidance a few times over the years and confess I still don’t get it! They start off talking about getting the “WTF” situation when driving in “manual mode” and then throughout they seem to be using manual downshifting.
Anyone able to summarise the technique … in less than 11 pages.

I’ve read this guidance a few times over the years and confess I still don’t get it! They start off talking about getting the “WTF” situation when driving in “manual mode” and then throughout they seem to be using manual downshifting.
Anyone able to summarise the technique … in less than 11 pages.
For quick getaway I use the following technique. When coming upto Junction or roundabout I come to a stop with footbrake then creep forward and stop. The DSG will have then changed to 1st gear. When ready for off brake off accelerator on. No delay just acceleration.

For quick getaway I use the following technique. When coming upto Junction or roundabout I come to a stop with footbrake then creep forward and stop. The DSG will have then changed to 1st gear. When ready for off brake off accelerator on. No delay just acceleration.
Yep, that works for me. We now have 3 cars with DSG or PDK and to a certain extent all “suffer” from the same delay. Not a major issue and far outweighed by the overall benefits.

Interesting thread here from a couple of years ago a software update for the ECU seemed to resolve the issue on a late T6.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

There has indeed been a software update for my 2019 T6. For me, this helped bring the DSG behaviour back to ’normal’, as in, comparable to my previous T5.1 DSG. The biggest problem was reversing up a hill, that was almost impossible to do with any measure of control. The update solved that and also made pulling away in normal traffic much smoother.

The dealership did tell me that they could do a lot better still with a full remap. For me, just this update was enough.

There has indeed been a software update for my 2019 T6. For me, this helped bring the DSG behaviour back to ’normal’, as in, comparable to my previous T5.1 DSG. The biggest problem was reversing up a hill, that was almost impossible to do with any measure of control. The update solved that and also made pulling away in normal traffic much smoother.

The dealership did tell me that they could do a lot better still with a full remap. For me, just this update was enough.
I have the same issue when trying reverse up a very slight curb to get on the drive. Needs way more load than anything with this much torque should require.

Do the dealers charge for the updates when out of warranty?

Last edited:
Do the dealers charge for the updates when out of warranty?
I was still in warranty then, so I don’t know. I do know that this particular update seems to be offered only to people that experience DSG problems with pulling away. So not every 2019 van would get it as standard, you really have to ask about it.

I was still in warranty then, so I don’t know. I do know that this particular update seems to be offered only to people that experience DSG problems with pulling away. So not every 2019 van would get it as standard, you really have to ask about it.
Thank you for the info.

Back