Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Catastrophic Engine Problems at 60k.

Just an aside

Not so long ago getting 100,000 miles life out of an engine was deemed as good to exceptional and now we seem to categorise anything less as a Manufacturers fault for which they should be liable.

How times/attitudes change.
How long ago is not so long ago?
There are plenty of T3 and T4's with over 500,000kms on them.

Just an aside

Not so long ago getting 100,000 miles life out of an engine was deemed as good to exceptional and now we seem to categorise anything less as a Manufacturers fault for which they should be liable.

How times/attitudes change.
Diesel engines should make at least 300k. For older cars, bodywork usually fails before the engine.

My father was a mechanic who worked on cars and HGV’s all of his life. He used to say + 150k a diesel engine has only just been run in; Our previous 1996 Diesel T4 had 175k on the clock when we sold it 5 years ago and is still going strong with its new owner. T25 Petrol had 180k upon selling, T2 Petrol had 170k on the clock when we passed to next owner.

The issues with ‘some’ 180’s are down to VW using the wrong material in the EGR Cooler. Metal particles will kill an engine.

I had a breakdown last year coming home from Switzerland.
Thankfully, it was just a blown turbo. £4k replacement.
The initial garage reported no oil, but i can't confirm how accurate their assessment was.
12 months before the incident, i had noticed the van using a bit more oil but not as much as others have stated. Needed topping up every 3/4ish months.
In contrast to my previous Cali 2.0 140bhp. It never used a drop. The only time oil was added, was at the annual service...

Frustrating.
So after a stressful time VW replaced the turbo, however I do not know if there will be further damage to the engine or anything else needing replacing. Does anyone have any experience on how you can ascertain this, conflicting information on some saying there is no further issues if the turbo has been replaced, and others saying the cylinder/EGR could be damaged and may need replacing. How can you tell? Drove all the way back to UK and the only issue was a little bit of oil present around the pipework but topped up with some oil and wiped clean and did about another 350 miles and checked again with no additional oil appearing?

And I'd say also at a cost of £4,500 but had no other choice.

So after a stressful time VW replaced the turbo, however I do not know if there will be further damage to the engine or anything else needing replacing. Does anyone have any experience on how you can ascertain this, conflicting information on some saying there is no further issues if the turbo has been replaced, and others saying the cylinder/EGR could be damaged and may need replacing. How can you tell? Drove all the way back to UK and the only issue was a little bit of oil present around the pipework but topped up with some oil and wiped clean and did about another 350 miles and checked again with no additional oil appearing?
Get the oil analyzed just before a scheduled oil change. Its a good way to ascertain the health of an engine. Another informative check is to get a boroscope inside the ignition chamber and look for scoring or unusual wear.

Back