Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Catastrophic EGR Cooler fail - new engine needed

A warranty is nothing more than an insurance policy, the point being, it is in no way an indication of the quality of parts or workmanship.

I agree engines need regular running and sometimes low miles can be an issue. But, as we all know. Modern Volkswagen diesels with plenty of Egr, DPf and turbo issues are well documented.
Volkswagen won’t admit liability with their engines, but they definitely not reliable units. The last reliable engine they built, was the 2.5 5 pot on the T4.

I’m sorry about your issues O/P. There’s a company named regular on the T6 forum who have done a lot of T5 & T6 engine rebuilds.
Cheaper than Volkswagen, but still looking at £7.5k…:confused:

Yes, a good one but even better: the 5 cilinder 2.4 l diesel, 78 hp ;)

That’s rotten luck OP. Engine went pop in my lotus a week after I bought it and I had to bight the bullet on a replacement. On the plus side I took great pleasure in spanking the nuts off it every time I got in it for years to come.

Vw are appalling for this sorry to hear about your stress

Just had an issue with our 2014 t5 caravelle. Oil needed topping up twice after Christmas, using around 2 litres in about 900 miles. Did some Googling and the aluminium VW egr coolers break down with the corrosive exhaust gasses, spewing aluminium particles back into the engine causing, cylinder bore ware, leading to excessive oil consumption and catastrophic engine failure. Been quoted £12-£15k for a replacement engine. VW don't seem to see this as a problem, just normal ware and tear I guess! I've had more luck talking my fridge about it that VW. Try retro resus in Taunton, they have been very knowledgeable on the issues and offered some better solutions than VW. Still expensive but I never want to give VW a penny of my money after now they've responded to me.

Back