Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All change 2025.

If… If… If…

Most hospitals I know just inside the M25 have an excellent bus service between the local railway station and hospital.

Queen Mary’s Sidcup, for example, or the PRU (Princess Royal University Hospital) in Locksbottom.

You have summed up the problem very nicely. Motoring into central London is too cheap.
No, Public Transport outside London is expensive and unreliable, if it is provided at all.

Typical attitude of a Metropolitan Elite.

So you admit Londoners need the roads and so should be paying for them otherwise they wouldn’t be going anywhere and neither would anyone else.

You haven’t been paying attention.

Londoners do pay for the roads through their council tax precept to the Greater London Authority, and through the fares they pay to use public transport.

It is motorists who need to contribute more- but not all.

You haven’t been paying attention.

Londoners do pay for the roads through their council tax precept to the Greater London Authority, and through the fares they pay to use public transport.

It is motorists who need to contribute more- but not all.
Using that argument then maybe there should be APNR cameras on the County borders to extort money from Greater London vehicles to contribute to roads and public transport outside the Capital when they cross the M25?
After all, we who live in the sticks pay for our roads via Council Tax already, why should we subsidise Londoners using our roads.

No, Public Transport outside London is expensive and unreliable, if it is provided at all.

Typical attitude of a Metropolitan Elite.

You question was specifically about a commute from just outside the ULEZ to just inside the ULEZ.

TfL buses, underground and overground extend beyond the boundary of ULEZ.

But let me humour you and consider a commute from Cardiff to St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington. A straight line distance of 208km, costing £29.50 one way: 14.2 pence per kilometre.

Now let us compare Uxbridge to St Mary’s, Uxbridge being the former PM’s constituency, just inside the ULEZ, and the place of a particularly bitter wrangle over ULEZ. Straight line distance to St Mary’s Hospital- 21.25km; £3.60 single: 16.9 pence per Km.

19% cheaper per Km for the Cardiff person than the Uxbridge elite by public transport.

Using that argument then maybe there should be APNR cameras on the County borders to extort money from Greater London vehicles to contribute to roads and public transport outside the Capital when they cross the M25?
After all, we who live in the sticks pay for our roads via Council Tax already, why should we subsidise Londoners using our roads.
London drivers already contribute to roads outside ULEZ (which is not the same as the M25 boundary) through VED and fuel tax.

Yet from March 2024 not a penny of VED or fuel tax paid by drivers outside the ULEZ will go towards London’s roads. And that is the hole in TfL’s finances that the Mayor needs to close.

Do I agree that what he is doing is the right way to do things? No, I don’t. I think there should be a graded congestion charge, for example £5 to cross into outer London; plus £5 to cross into inner London (N & S Circular); plus £5 to cross into central London (current congestion charge zone). But I do think that the Mayor is taking a step in the right direction, and for that reason he has my support on this issue.

You question was specifically about a commute from just outside the ULEZ to just inside the ULEZ.

TfL buses, underground and overground extend beyond the boundary of ULEZ.

But let me humour you and consider a commute from Cardiff to St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington. A straight line distance of 208km, costing £29.50 one way: 14.2 pence per kilometre.

Now let us compare Uxbridge to St Mary’s, Uxbridge being the former PM’s constituency, just inside the ULEZ, and the place of a particularly bitter wrangle over ULEZ. Straight line distance to St Mary’s Hospital- 21.25km; £3.60 single: 16.9 pence per Km.

19% cheaper per Km for the Cardiff person than the Uxbridge elite by public transport.
Real world, not booking 3 months in advance.
I'm in London tomorrow by 10am latest.
No buses to Cardiff so Taxi £70 + train fare.Screenshot_20230903_180341_Trainline.jpg

£180.50. A little more than 14.2p/Km.

The thing with all these so called low emission zones, they are making people drive round them. They drive further to avoid this tax grab. So the total emissions for the country can only go one way. UP. If 9 year old diesel cars were that bad they would be banned,but they aren't are they. If everyone just coughed up their pay to pollute charge then the only thing that's changed is the cash grab. Not the air. Also there is a thing called wind, that the left wing white man hating Mayor forgets about. Coming to a left wing labour town near you soon. Its not the air that stinks around this man. Its his policies. This is a man who thinks the Notting hill stab carnival is brilliant.i don't even live in London and he boils my p1ss. I don't even like going to that sh1thole unless to use an airport.

Last edited:
The thing with all these so called low emission zones, they are making people drive round them. They drive further to avoid this tax grab. So the total emissions for the country can only go one way. UP. If 9 year old diesel cars were that bad they would be banned,but they aren't are they. If everyone just coughed up their pay to pollute charge then the only thing that's changed is the cash grab. Not the air. Also there is a thing called wind, that the left wing white man hating Mayor forgets about. Coming to a left wing labour town near you soon. Its not the air that stinks around this man. Its his policies. This is a man who thinks the Notting hill stab carnival is brilliant.

Wow this is starting to get a bit offensive now. BOJO using language like piccannini to describe Africans and comparing Muslim women wearing a burka to letter boxes is all fine? Yet Tooting born Sadiq Khan apparently hates white men!

Clearly there’s strong feelings on ULEZ it seems mostly coming from people who don’t live anywhere near London!

I grew up on Portobello Road and used to watch the carnival pass under my bedroom window. I can assure you it was way more violent in the 1970’s than it is now. 2 million people attended the carnival this year, statistically the level of crime was well below the average per capita.

Maybe we should stick to talking about vans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow this is starting to get a bit offensive now. BOJO using language like piccannini to describe Africans and comparing Muslim women wearing a burka to letter boxes is all fine? Yet Tooting born Sadiq Khan apparently hates white men!

Clearly there’s strong feelings on ULEZ it seems mostly coming from people who don’t live anywhere near London!

I grew up on Portobello Road and used to watch the carnival pass under my bedroom window. I can assure you it was way more violent in the 1970’s than it is now. 2 million people attended the carnival this year, statistically the level of crime was well below the average per capita.

Maybe we should stick to talking about vans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn't the racist Mayor very recently say a white family doesn't represent London?I can imagine what woke people would say if he s aid the same thing about a black family. He is the racist and he offends me. That carnival every year is a disaster and a massive waste of taxpayer police resources, but as usual we can't say anything about it because it celebrates a certain culture. A culture of knife crime is what I see. As for bojos language. I never mentioned him. Labour AND Conservative will never get my vote ever again after their very dumb lockdown policies

Last edited:
The thing with all these so called low emission zones, they are making people drive round them. They drive further to avoid this tax grab. So the total emissions for the country can only go one way. UP. If 9 year old diesel cars were that bad they would be banned,but they aren't are they. If everyone just coughed up their pay to pollute charge then the only thing that's changed is the cash grab. Not the air. Also there is a thing called wind, that the left wing white man hating Mayor forgets about. Coming to a left wing labour town near you soon. Its not the air that stinks around this man. Its his policies. This is a man who thinks the Notting hill stab carnival is brilliant.i don't even live in London and he boils my p1ss. I don't even like going to that sh1thole unless to use an airport.

I think that’s part of the reason why the London Mayor has pushed the ULEZ boundary from the N/S Circular Roads to the Greater London Boundary.

The N/S Circular run through heavily populated areas, including the house where Ella Kissi-Debrah lived, fell ill, and died from air pollution.

The Greater London Boundary is mostly in the Green Belt within the M25, and sparsely populated.

Older heavily polluting vehicles are likely to stick to the M25 which for much of its circuit of London is several miles outside the Greater London Boundary, and through sparsely populated areas of the SE of England, with few exceptions. It also happens to be the quickest route between almost any two points on its circuit - even those opposite one another.

So yes, having the extra traffic on the M25 is better than having it on the North and South Circular Roads as Sadiq Khan’s predecessor, Boris Johnson, had planned.

Didn't the racist Mayor very recently say a white family doesn't represent London?I can imagine what woke people would say if he s aid the same thing about a black family. He is the racist and he offends me. That carnival every year is a disaster and a massive waste of taxpayer police resources, but as usual we can't say anything about it because it celebrates a certain culture. A culture of knife crime is what I see. As for bojos language. I never mentioned him. Labour AND Conservative will never get my vote ever again after their very dumb lockdown policies

Green, Liberal Democrats or Monster Raving Loony Party for you then? (I think UKIP are dead).

What perplexes me about this thread is that it seems to be an argument between the people living in or travelling regularly to London for work, who are either supportive of / don’t have an issue with ULEZ vs those who live in other parts of the country who are extremely against it. :rolleyes:
I don’t have strong views on local government outside of the south east, as I don’t live close enough to know how local people would genuinely be effected and what their thoughts are.

What perplexes me about this thread is that it isn't about ULEZ.

The topic was:

Introduction of Vehicle Excise Duty for zero emission cars, vans and motorcycles from 2025​

What perplexes me about this thread is that it seems to be an argument between the people living in or travelling regularly to London for work, who are either supportive of / don’t have an issue with ULEZ vs those who live in other parts of the country who are extremely against it. :rolleyes:
I don’t have strong views on local government outside of the south east, as I don’t live close enough to know how local people would genuinely be effected and what their thoughts are.

Nice observation.

It is the same with migration. Those people in the parts of the country with few migrants are those who oppose migration most strongly.

What perplexes me about this thread is that it isn't about ULEZ.

The topic was:

Introduction of Vehicle Excise Duty for zero emission cars, vans and motorcycles from 2025​

Well this was the culprit.

I’ve had trouble sleeping the last couple of nights. Might re-read this entire thread to see if it helps :) :)

Green, Liberal Democrats or Monster Raving Loony Party for you then? (I think UKIP are dead).
No point voting thses days. Reform UK maybe?

And do you live in an area where the air is cleaner than that of London?
No idea, but there is a very large cement factory down the road still in production, a large coal powered power station that is being decommissioned .
And according to the latest research from Oxford University Khan's extortion racket will have a massive 1% / year effective reduction in overall pollution effect. NO will fall but PM2.5 will rise to compensate due to heavier vehicles.

And according to the latest research from Oxford University Khan's extortion racket will have a massive 1% / year effective reduction in overall pollution effect. NO will fall but PM2.5 will rise to compensate due to heavier vehicles.
I couldn't find that study, could you provide a link? Thanks.

I couldn't find that study, could you provide a link? Thanks.
Not certain but may be referring to the 1% contribution to world pollution by the UK, this places us in a gang with 1/3 of the world where we can reduce our individual impact to have a massive overall world impact. 1/3 is covered by countries with about 2% contribution and 1/3 is China which have expanded so massively over the last 20 years.

Back