Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All change 2025.

Shoppers who turn up in a car are likely to buy more, hence the encouragement. There's a real limit how much you can lug on a bike, on the bus or walk home with, although some talented souls give it the old college try....
Also, it gives Sainsbury a shot at catching you with their parking regulations and hitting you with a massive "fine" (sorry, Parking Charge Notice). Or am I being cynical?
:upsidedown

Shoppers who turn up in a car are likely to buy more, hence the encouragement. There's a real limit how much you can lug on a bike, on the bus or walk home with, although some talented souls give it the old college try....

View attachment 113678

I always like the challenge of loading my bike. I once towed 3 x 80L bags of compost on a flatbed trailer behind my bike.

I also have a Zarges Eurobox 750 mm × 550 mm × 380 mm that sits on the same flatbed trailer which will easily swallow a weekly shop for a family of four.

But bizarrely, at Sainsbury’s in Eltham the maximum 10% discount for driving is for spends of £10. Anything more and the percentage discount drops.

But still not a penny for those who walk, cycle or take the bus.

Also, it gives Sainsbury a shot at catching you with their parking regulations and hitting you with a massive "fine" (sorry, Parking Charge Notice). Or am I being cynical?
:upsidedown

I picked up a PCN in the car park in Sainsbury’s Bromley and Clare picked one up at M&S Eltham. We easily got both cancelled.

I don’t think that PCNs are good publicity for supermarkets.

I always like the challenge of loading my bike. I once towed 3 x 80L bags of compost on a flatbed trailer behind my bike.

I also have a Zarges Eurobox 750 mm × 550 mm × 380 mm that sits on the same flatbed trailer which will easily swallow a weekly shop for a family of four.
Look I gave you a hint earlier... just take it to the group won't you? They need you.

I’m not sure they want to entice us away from ICE to EV tbh, they want people to stop using cars and one day it will only be the wealthy who can afford to run a vehicle. Only the wealthy will be able to afford flying or houses.
A different world awaits!
(Bit dramatic I know :) )
Have you filled up recently it’s already here

Without the non-Londener workers and tourists London would be a ghost city. Pity there couldn't be be a boycott of the LEZ and let Khan sink into obscurity.
This is a conceit of non-Londoners and tourists. In the case of my own father, the Los Angeles of 1935, a city of 35,000 people of Victorian houses on a hill surrounded by orange tree orchards as far as the sea shore was an eminently livable city, while the Los Angeles of the 1960s with the air pollution of today’s Shanghai which left all children of my generation with permanent lung and respiratory system damage only benefited tourists and non-Angelinos. LA is currently trying to recover some of its former beauty and livability, mostly by making it less accessible to tourists and non-Angelinos, and every step makes it more vital and livable. Anyone saying it was headed toward being a ghost town would be laughed into silence by the real estate profession.

This is a conceit of non-Londoners and tourists. In the case of my own father, the Los Angeles of 1935, a city of 35,000 people of Victorian houses on a hill surrounded by orange tree orchards as far as the sea shore was an eminently livable city, while the Los Angeles of the 1960s with the air pollution of today’s Shanghai which left all children of my generation with permanent lung and respiratory system damage only benefited tourists and non-Angelinos. LA is currently trying to recover some of its former beauty and livability, mostly by making it less accessible to tourists and non-Angelinos, and every step makes it more vital and livable. Anyone saying it was headed toward being a ghost town would be laughed into silence by the real estate profession.
I suggest you talk to those who have been severely affected by this undemocratic dash for cash using scientific “facts” paid for by the Mayor and peer reviewed by the author of the same scientific “ facts “ who was sponsored by the Mayor.
No one is arguing against reduction in pollution but there are ways and means without destroying people’s livelihoods.
Also we are not talking about the pollution of the 1930’s or 60’s that was mainly caused by coal smoke from homes and industry. London went through that in the 50’s.

To my knowledge Los Angeles, nor Shanghai, have anything remotely like Khans expanded LEZ zone.

I suggest you talk to those who have been severely affected by this undemocratic dash for cash using scientific “facts” paid for by the Mayor and peer reviewed by the author of the same scientific “ facts “ who was sponsored by the Mayor.
No one is arguing against reduction in pollution but there are ways and means without destroying people’s livelihoods.
Also we are not talking about the pollution of the 1930’s or 60’s that was mainly caused by coal smoke from homes and industry. London went through that in the 50’s.

To my knowledge Los Angeles, nor Shanghai, have anything remotely like Khans expanded LEZ zone.
Khans new expanded ULEZ fiefdom is the most draconian in the world.

Although the SNP’s Glasgow LEZ must be a close 2nd. No option to pay, straight to a Penalty Charge.

“ A scheme surcharge will see the initial penalty charge of £60 double for each subsequent breach detected - subject to a cap of £480 for cars and LGVs, and £960 for buses and HGVs.”

Although the SNP’s Glasgow LEZ must be a close 2nd. No option to pay, straight to a Penalty Charge.

“ A scheme surcharge will see the initial penalty charge of £60 double for each subsequent breach detected - subject to a cap of £480 for cars and LGVs, and £960 for buses and HGVs.”
But completely different scales. Glasgows LEZ cover approx 1 square mile and 20 thousand residents. The ULEZ. on the other hand. screws *coughs*protects 3.8 million residents in an unbelievable 236 square miles.

The ULEZ and LEZ are distinct.

London’s LEZ was fully implemented by the then Mayor, Boris Johnson, on 3 January 2012.

Until the U turn by the Conservative Government led by Rishi Sunak, and partial U turn by the Labour weakling Kier Starmer, the ULEZ had broad cross-party support.

It has been whipped up into a political frenzy by the right wing press, aided and abetted by Labour wimps, who should know better, and Conservative opportunists who do know better, but put political opportunism above the environment.

Others would argue that London is leading the world in trying to clean up the air we all breathe.

Chuck a crisp packet on the ground and you risk a £100 FPN. Belch toxic fumes into the air and so long as you pay £12.50 you’re OK. Even farting in a crowded lift is considered more antisocial!

But completely different scales. Glasgows LEZ cover approx 1 square mile and 20 thousand residents. The ULEZ. on the other hand. screws *coughs*protects 3.8 million residents in an unbelievable 236 square miles.

ULEZ covers 8.9 million people. The 3.8 million figure is the number of EXTRA people the expanded ULEZ covers. I.e. the population living between the new ULEZ boundary and the N and S Circular roads.

The ULEZ and LEZ are distinct.

London’s LEZ was fully implemented by the then Mayor, Boris Johnson, on 3 January 2012.

Until the U turn by the Conservative Government led by Rishi Sunak, and partial U turn by the Labour weakling Kier Starmer, the ULEZ had broad cross-party support.

It has been whipped up into a political frenzy by the right wing press, aided and abetted by Labour wimps, who should know better, and Conservative opportunists who do know better, but put political opportunism above the environment.
Don’t forget the questionable science, paid for by Khan and peer reviewed by the author who received money from the same source.

ULEZ covers 8.9 million people. The 3.8 million figure is the number of EXTRA people the expanded ULEZ covers. I.e. the population living between the new ULEZ boundary and the N and S Circular roads.
That’s untrue. You forgot the people who live in the surrounding counties who work and depend on services, such as the NHS etc, that are now within the expanded ULEZ . We’re they allowed a vote, we’re they allowed to claim from the scrappage scheme, we’re they given enhanced transport infrastructure, No.
But they are the ones filling TFLs coffers

Where Khan has gone wrong with the ULEZ is to include cars that hurt individuals just trying to get to work or go about everyday life. All other CAZ’s in the U.K. have differing classifications, some of which exclude cars, some even exclude vans, but most have exemptions for Euro 4 for petrol engines and Euro 6 for diesels. But they are all set up to enable the goalpost exemptions to be moved when Euro 7 comes along, and then again when 2030/35 arrives.

That’s untrue. You forgot the people who live in the surrounding counties who work and depend on services, such as the NHS etc, that are now within the expanded ULEZ . We’re they allowed a vote, we’re they allowed to claim from the scrappage scheme, we’re they given enhanced transport infrastructure, No.

It is not untrue. ULEZ does not cover people who live outside Greater London but travel in. They live in areas which may benefit from cleaner London air wafting over their parks and gardens, but they are not “covered” by the ULEZ in the sense that I meant “covered”. But you knew that.

£14.90 is the price cap for Zones 1-6 on an Oystercard. It allows unlimited travel within those zones by bus, national rail, London Underground, London Overground, DLR and tram.

£12.50 allows unlimited travel within the ULEZ except the congestion zone on London’s roads using the most polluting cars.

£FREE allows unlimited travel within the ULEZ except the congestion zone on London’s roads using Euro6 compliant cars.

£FREE allows unlimited travel within the ULEZ including the congestion zone on London’s roads, cycleways and canal tow paths using mobility scooter, bike or foot.

There’s a choice.

I don’t really give a stuff about the methods used by Sadiq Khan to evaluate pollution in London. He’s a slime ball, but so long as his policies have the effect of reducing traffic on London’s roads, I’ll support those policies even if I won’t support the man.

Nationally, 61% of journeys under 5 miles are by car. If that can be reduced in London I shall be content.

I think we are going to have to agree to differ. I am a fan of Patrick Moore's take on C02 and alleged man made climate change:

I think that Climate change follows Ukraine which followed Covid - all of them tools to manipulate people with associated lies and propaganda.
Wowza I had a read of your source magazine.

Wowza I had a read of your source magazine.
We all grew up with the BBC, and to trust it. The most liberating - it terms of ‘waking up’ - thing I have done is stop getting news and information from that single source, completely, going elsewhere for example UK Column; I also rate TCW (The Conservative Woman), 21st Century Wire, Steve Bannon War Room, Naomi Woolf’s Daily Clout. A recent find is the Doc Malik podcasts as well as the ever enlightening James Delingpole’s Delingpod.

screws *coughs*protects 3.8 million residents
Protects all Londoners now, but only screws 10% of vehicles, as 90% pass.
Societal shift is difficult to achieve and requires leadership, which I’m pleased to see the GLA has at last brought to London’s air quality issue.
I heard a phrase the other day: “culture eats strategy for breakfast”. It’s depressing how the ULEZ which benefits the vast majority has been weaponised politically, with even the PM declaring himself “on the side of motorists” in response to the Tories holding onto disgraced Boris’ seat.
Interesting how ‘the public’ perceives their entitlement to drive in and pollute built-up areas. It’s human instinct to be suspicious of change, but it’s hard to imagine people smoking in pubs these days. I suspect very few smokers would want that regression today, and our children will see driving an ICE in the city as anti-social in the not too distant…

Protects all Londoners now, but only screws 10% of vehicles, as 90% pass.
Societal shift is difficult to achieve and requires leadership, which I’m pleased to see the GLA has at last brought to London’s air quality issue.
I heard a phrase the other day: “culture eats strategy for breakfast”. It’s depressing how the ULEZ which benefits the vast majority has been weaponised politically, with even the PM declaring himself “on the side of motorists” in response to the Tories holding onto disgraced Boris’ seat.
Interesting how ‘the public’ perceives their entitlement to drive in and pollute built-up areas. It’s human instinct to be suspicious of change, but it’s hard to imagine people smoking in pubs these days. I suspect very few smokers would want that regression today, and our children will see driving an ICE in the city as anti-social in the not too distant…
Are you really that nieve to believe that when the % of non-compliant vehicles drop and hence revenue drops, without any significant drop in PM2.5 pollution levels, that the goal posts aren't going to move. Next Euro6 diesel and Euro4 petrol will be paying.

Are you really that nieve to believe that when the % of non-compliant vehicles drop and hence revenue drops, without any significant drop in PM2.5 pollution levels, that the goal posts aren't going to move. Next Euro6 diesel and Euro4 petrol will be paying.
I presume you mean naive, and no I don’t believe I am.
Yes I fully expect users who pollute the most to pay - public money doesn’t grow on trees - and so the ULEZ charge will apply to Euro 6 in the end.
I gave careful thought to buying a diesel in 2021, but felt there wasn’t a viable alternative and RDE2 was reassuring. I hope the T7 hybrid will attract me, but if not I’ll pay the ULEZ fee - I only really use the California for camping, so won’t need to pay it often.

Last edited:
Back