Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2023 Ocean leaking roof fabric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any idea of build date? If registered in Nov that suggests a late Sept early Oct build.
It's a Nov22 not 23 as I put in earlier. It was an ex dem. One of the documents that we were sent to check the spec had 14/10/22 on it as the vehicle status.

Last edited:
It's a Nov22 not 23 as I put in earlier. It was an ex dem. One of the documents that we were sent to check the spec had 14/10/22 on it as the vehicle status.
You might find it on the inside door sticker? VW has a 2 digit month and 2 digit year annotation eg 10/22. My guess there is an early batch of bellows that were not treated correctly to prevent leaks through that particular seam. Since I have yet to see any infiltration the issue may have been picked up early and changes made by mid Nov.

You might find it on the inside door sticker? VW has a 2 digit month and 2 digit year annotation eg 10/22. My guess there is an early batch of bellows that were not treated correctly to prevent leaks through that particular seam. Since I have yet to see any infiltration the issue may have been picked up early and changes made by mid Nov.
The certificate document that came with it puts date of manufacture as 12/10/22

I find it quite incredible that VW didn’t fully test, or have tested on their behalf, these new bellows before introducing them into production. I realise that there are sometime ‘bugs’ with new iterations but this one seems an egregious error.

Interestingly there are no posts on Calibord.de regarding this apparently quite common issue. That surprises me me as I found plenty of posts regarding leaks. For example the leak I'm experiencing through the tailgate seal. The solution recommended there was to install a strip of adhesive backed rubber tube sealing to create an additional barrier at the roof tailgate junction. It also eliminates the accumulation of detritus in the channel.

Should send them a copy of this thread for evidence that other MY23 bellows are leaking...
We mentioned about the Facebook and forum but they said only technical reference numbers were evidence and forum and Facebook didn't count! Our vans been in the garage over 4 weeks now and we're still no further forward

Has anyone’s leaked anywhere else other than the seam along the bottom of the front window?

We were away at the weekend and there was a small chance of rain overnight, so we put a load of cloths out (similar to @bullibuskombi above) and covered the front seats. Thankfully it didn’t rain, but it got me thinking if I should be covering up other areas just incase.
ours leaks from seams on all sides, including the vertical front seams where the sides meet the front fabric

ours leaks from seams on all sides, including the vertical front seams where the sides meet the front fabric
If you park under trees and it rains a lot then yes. The drain tubes are quite thin and there are elbows inside the bodywork, so doesn't take much to block them. I'd be most concerned if the tree is shedding pollen and seeds.

As far as I can tell it was replaced like for like with the bellows which are light on the inside. As soon as it rains I will report back
@Jeckmacdonald have you had the replacement bellows out in the rain yet? Curious if the replacement (and therefore presumably the "very latest" batch) are corrected?

If you park under trees and it rains a lot then yes. The drain tubes are quite thin and there are elbows inside the bodywork, so doesn't take much to block them. I'd be most concerned if the tree is shedding pollen and seeds.
Hello - we weren't parked under any trees. The first time the leaks occurred we were on a campsite and the second time was on our drive. I think you might have got my post confused with someone elses?

Hello - we weren't parked under any trees. The first time the leaks occurred we were on a campsite and the second time was on our drive. I think you might have got my post confused with someone elses?
Yes my bad. Posted to the wrong thread.

@Jeckmacdonald have you had the replacement bellows out in the rain yet? Curious if the replacement (and therefore presumably the "very latest" batch) are corrected?
Hi. No not in rain but did the hosepipe thing. No leakage so far. Keeping fingers crossed. I have been up on roof and noticed that the seal is lifted a bit. Prob happened when they replaced it. Not leaking and now waiting for response from the service team

Did a hosepipe test on ours last week (manufacture 05/23) as it hasn’t rained since we collected it. Yes, all seemed watertight and not a dribble in sight. In fact the front bellows panel doesn’t look as “strained” at the seams as some of the leaking ones, so maybe/hopefully there has been a modification done.

Due to get ours later this week so will be hosepipe testing it on Saturday I’ll post the results on here

Jeckmacdonald can you please tell us which parts of the canvas were replaced by VW dealer?

Did you get any statement what was the official cause of the problem?

Thank you.

My Cali is booked in for early August. They said they could look tomorrow but didn't want it to disturb our summer holiday. We will take the caravan anyway, so if its raining we will have to keep the pop top down.

Hopefully by then VW will accept there are problems on early bellows and replace without arguments.

Will update then.

My Cali is booked in for early August. They said they could look tomorrow but didn't want it to disturb our summer holiday. We will take the caravan anyway, so if its raining we will have to keep the pop top down.

Hopefully by then VW will accept there are problems on early bellows and replace without arguments.

Will update then.
Good luck let us know how you get on

Glad to report that my complaint was excepted and new canvas will be fitted.
The canvas has a new part number 7LA875059C 7MH - new version of the new dual material fabric.
All this suggest VW is aware of this issue.
Now I just hope, all will be fitted correctly and that the new canvas will do the job.

Glad to report that my complaint was excepted and new canvas will be fitted.
The canvas has a new part number 7LA875059C 7MH - new version of the new dual material fabric.
All this suggest VW is aware of this issue.
Now I just hope, all will be fitted correctly and that the new canvas will do the job.
Wonder if there's a way to tell when this was incorporated into the factory builds, or if there's a visible part number anyhwere?

New ones should come with upgraded version, but I dont know from which date on.

We've also finally had it agreed with customer care that they'll fix the bellows under warranty but technical team are still not acknowledging there's an issue. We have the van back and booked in for bellows replacement at soon as they're available for fitting, hopefully in the next 2 weeks! Fingers crossed it works x

Last edited:
75k on a campervan and the roof leaks. What a load of garbage ..
no one should be taking this lightly..

75k on a campervan and the roof leaks. What a load of garbage ..
no one should be taking this lightly..
Well, it’s more like a few roofs have leaked and even then it’s unclear if it’s leaked or in some cases come in through the top vents in lashing rain. If we were up in arms about every individual warranty issue someone has with their Cali we’d be busy people. It’s what the warranty is for and as far as I can see, even from the few that have posted about it frequently, it’s a very few cases. Happens. Get’s fixed. Enjoy the van. It’s pain for the isolated and genuine cases but sounds like VW are honouring what we paid for - 75K for a OEM warranty. Feels like an early batch of the new tops to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back