Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof lets in the rain

rcsb

rcsb

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We have just come back from a fantastic trip to the Highlands and Islands. This was our first two-week adventure and we really had fun getting to know our brand new Cali SE.

However a couple of times we found water leaking when the roof was elevated and it was raining - but not that hard, and not every time it rains. Water seems to be getting in near the roof hinge on the near-side running along the roof and dripping down through the lights and down on to the kitchen unit.

I have contacted SMG Tonbridge about this for fixing it under warranty. I am wondering if anyone else had has this problem and how it was fixed.

Thanks

Rick

The roof canvas will let in water through capillary effect if rubbed on the inside when wet, similar to a non-membranous tent, but it should not leak otherwise. I have had water ingress once in very wet and windy conditions but that wa me leaving a vent half open :oops:

Did you check the water drains in the roof ( four of them) , could well be something stuck in there causing water to search diffrent ways out.
Just a tip...
And where you sure no sleepingbag or sheets,...where touching the canvas causing water soaking thru.

If children are using the top for sleeping it's easy for them to rub the sides and by doing so cause a capillary action and encourage water penetration
Also I think you will find the weave in the bellows fabric will tighten up after a few soakings
As previously stated, always have the rear of the van faceing onto the wind when possible

Alan

We sometimes get damp pillows or quilts up the top. Probably due to slightly touching the canvas and it wicking through. Damp but not wet.
We were on Arran and Islay last week and the horizontal rain didn't get in despite the gale force winds.

I'd consider getting a roof topper (waterproof, insulates from heat / cold and sound) regardless of warranty issue.

We had water pooling inside the roof once but as others have said once it's had a few soakings the fabric tightens up and we've been fine since.
I guess we may have to go through it all again after our cali has been in for it's roof corrosion work, assuming they replace the roof canvas.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Thanks everyone for your replies. I should have given more details. When we noticed the leak we had the roof up and the top bed pushed up and empty. So I don't think it could have been the wet-tent-effect. It was one of the few time we had a good soaking so perhaps it still needs to bed in (please excuse the pun).

I will check the roof drains, thanks Hotel California for this tip, at least I will when it stops raining.

Got another trip planned for the Swanage triathlon, so I will let you all know about leaks. - unless of course it is dry and sunny. Also am excited about trying the bike racks, which have so far been used purely for drying clothes.

Thanks again everyone

Rick

Think it might be a good idea to remove the top mattress , then soak the roof fabric a couple of times with a hose while at home to get the weave of the fabric to close up.

Think it might be a good idea to remove the top mattress , then soak the roof fabric a couple of times with a hose while at home to get the weave of the fabric to close up.

Excellent idea but...

Soak it from the outside. Avoids a lot of mess.

** Granny tip number 64

Rick,
I have had a leak in the same place - rear near side by the roof hinge. The picture shows the start of the leak next to the pop rivet. The inside canvas was dry the water seems to be coming in from the roof base rather than the bellows.

Not the first time this has happened, but I have had a wet pillow in the past!

Booked into Heritage Bristol for October - they said they need it for 5 days.

Regards
Gary
2013 Yellow Beach

IMG_20150612_122837856.jpg

5 days, Are they going camping in it. Are you getting a loan vehicle. Our Cali being are only vehicle I do worrys sometimes about the length of time dealers seem to want the van for a repair.

5 days, Are they going camping in it. Are you getting a loan vehicle. Our Cali being are only vehicle I do worrys sometimes about the length of time dealers seem to want the van for a repair.

No loan vehicle mentioned, they will probably offer a transporter or caddy. I would have thought a day would be more than enough, maybe they hire them out? ;)

Rick,
I have had a leak in the same place - rear near side by the roof hinge. The picture shows the start of the leak next to the pop rivet. The inside canvas was dry the water seems to be coming in from the roof base rather than the bellows.

Regards
Gary
2013 Yellow Beach

View attachment 9350
Rick,

Regards
Gary
2013 Yellow Beach

View attachment 9350
Hi Gary, Yes that looks like the place. SMG Tonbridge has asked me to make a video next time it happens. Happily it has not happened since. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with your repair.

Thanks, Rick

Hello,

Despite following all the advice to unblock the front drain channel, I have had no success. To investigate further, has anyone ever taken the inner paneling out to expose the drain channel?

Thanks.

Hi Gary, Yes that looks like the place. SMG Tonbridge has asked me to make a video next time it happens. Happily it has not happened since. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with your repair.

Thanks, Rick
did you ever get this problem sorted? It has been happening to ours in exactly the same place.

I'd consider getting a roof topper (waterproof, insulates from heat / cold and sound) regardless of warranty issue.
Just come back from windy wet Ireland. The cali topper was a nightmare so noisy flapping around in the wind.So we took it off and went without, also in the wind and rain. No leaks and much quieter. Great for the continent where wind doesn't seem to be as strong. We will get rid of it and buy a different design(Cant remember the name) one that fits around the canvas. Cali topper is a waste of money in my opinion .

Back