Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2023 Ocean leaking roof fabric

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after the bellows passed the hosepipe test (to be fair it was my jet wash) I thought I'd cracked it so cancelled the booking at my local van centre. All was well until last week. Spent a fantastic week in Cornwall and the van served us well. Then came the last night when it started to pour down at 1am. At 3.30am I put the lights on to find water again pouring in through the same seam. It had been doing it a while because the two front seats where soaked!
So it's now booked in again (another 5 week wait) to be looked at, and another trip in the meantime cancelled.

Hello, our van is still at the local van centre...the van centre have been great but vw technical denied all knowledge of leaking seams in the new bellows and said there have been no technical faults registered...they were refusing to do anything (even though we'd sent pictures and videos of the leaks, drips and water pooling). We've had to escalate to vw customer care for resolution..the van centre is now replacing the bellows. But very dissapointed in response from vw technical
Should send them a copy of this thread for evidence that other MY23 bellows are leaking...

Hi we have a new a (april23 ) Cali ocean 6.1. First outing of pop top in light rain it leaked along the front seams. Dealer collected and replaced bellows. Still not tested if it leaks as we have not had any rain. It did take a week or so for the dealer to action the replacement but I think that was down to a communication mix up on their part. I hope you get yours sorted. I wonder if it was a duff batch of bellows? !
How is your dealer that managed to sort your leak out. We have same problem

I've done some research and confirmed with 2 van centers - Liverpool and Tonbridge.

These are the part numbers for the old and new fabric zip down front bellows:

NEW VERSION

7LA8750597MH - (Charcoal and Cream - Dual material - zip down front for electric roofs) - which has superseded the number below.

Price to retrofit from SMG Tonbridge is:

£763.20 inc vat for bellows
£480 inc vat labour roughly... (3 - 4 hours)

OLD VERSION

7E7875059KIU7 - (Charcoal Single Material - zip down front for electric roofs)

I have also found out that there is another part number that is for vans being built next month which is the same as the above number but with a 'C' in it.

UPDATED NEW VERSION

This is not available for retail yet:

7LA875059C7MH - I wonder if this is to fix the seam issues some people have experienced. It could also just be a colour or for a manual roof but there is no information about it.

Last edited:
So the issues with our brand new Cali continue. After having to have a brand fridge fitted as the original never worked, we have now discovered that a seam in the roof fabric leaks water when it is raining.
Yesterday was the first day away in the van, when we have encountered rain. Whilst sat looking forward, I noticed water dripping onto the seats. When I looked up, water was running in all along the seam that runs along the bottom of the semi circle window (photo attached). The ledge at the bottom where the light switch is was soaked with water. My local van centre have stated that there is a £320 charge for investigating water ingress, which will be payable if the issue isn’t covered under warranty (I’m pretty sure it will be).
Has anyone else had issues with leaking bellows on an Ocean 6.1 with the new fabric?

View attachment 108249
Yes had the same issue in moderate rain in Italy.

20230605_082420.jpg

20230605_082305.jpg

20230605_082256.jpg

20230605_082148.jpg

20230607_110454.jpg

It seems that quite a few people are having the same issue with the new roof fabric... this is probably going to cost VW a pretty penny.

Out of interest, has this issue only affected "early" MY23 vans, or has anyone who's had a van recently had the issue too? Or rather, has anyone who has had a van fairly recently and used it in rain, had no issues?

Ours is My23 supplied in Nov 22 with the new canvas and it also leaks. Waiting to see what is happening with this before getting the dealer involved as we tend to use a topper in bad weather and I am not sure I trust the dealer network to successfully change the canvas. So, definitely don’t want to be first.

So after the bellows passed the hosepipe test (to be fair it was my jet wash) I thought I'd cracked it so cancelled the booking at my local van centre. All was well until last week. Spent a fantastic week in Cornwall and the van served us well. Then came the last night when it started to pour down at 1am. At 3.30am I put the lights on to find water again pouring in through the same seam. It had been doing it a while because the two front seats where soaked!
So it's now booked in again (another 5 week wait) to be looked at, and another trip in the meantime cancelled.
Which dealer are you using that can't see a vehicle for a month to just take a look at something?

Out of interest, has this issue only affected "early" MY23 vans, or has anyone who's had a van recently had the issue too? Or rather, has anyone who has had a van fairly recently and used it in rain, had no issues?
Didn’t someone say it leaked on an April 23 van?
So built in February/early March maybe.
Edit: Post #95

Which dealer are you using that can't see a vehicle for a month to just take a look at something?
It's booked in with Manchester van centre.
We don't have much choice, with only Manchester and Liverpool willing to work on the camper side of Californias

I thought my my new California 4M Ocean was a MY23, but since reading this thread and I only have one colour bellows.
I’ve been out a few times, roof up, really hosed it down and strong wind.
No leak.
So no I’m thinking it might have been a MY22 but waiting for some parts.
Then someone cancelled their order and it had everything I wanted so was given to me.
I order end of July ‘22 and received it 1st December 22
So thought it was built around September, which would make it a MY23.
But it can’t be as I have the old (non leaking, one colour) bellows.

I have a MY23 Coast with a mid Nov build. The pano front section was facing the wind and got a reasonable soaking during my trip to France. No rain infiltration noted although to be honest this was before the recent complaints so I wasn't paying as much notice as I would now. I noticed the rear tail gate leak immediately.

I thought my my new California 4M Ocean was a MY23, but since reading this thread and I only have one colour bellows.
I’ve been out a few times, roof up, really hosed it down and strong wind.
No leak.
So no I’m thinking it might have been a MY22 but waiting for some parts.
Then someone cancelled their order and it had everything I wanted so was given to me.
I order end of July ‘22 and received it 1st December 22
So thought it was built around September, which would make it a MY23.
But it can’t be as I have the old (non leaking, one colour) bellows.
Model year switch preceded the introduction of the new bellows, which was late Sept. Your Cali must be a very early MY23.

Ours was delivered in March, so guess it was built around January time, so probably not one of the very early ones. We’ve only actually had the roof up once in rain, and noticed it leaking.

i've got a late 2022 build with the new bellows. haven't used it in heavy rain yet, so no idea if it leaks. I will say that it's much darker in the van with the new bellows, which is actually something i don't like. (although i think a lot will. i'm someone who sleeps without curtains) i also slept one night when it was cold and a bit windy outside and it felt very cold and drafty upstairs with the new bellows. it may be a double skinned, better blackout material, but it seems to be very air permeable to me.

it may be a double skinned, better blackout material, but it seems to be very air permeable to me.
Thats 99% due to the big mesh vents in the top corners, make yourself a couple covers for those ( or at least one for the windy side) and it makes a huge difference.
As you have the opening front window, you can get to both sides of the mesh & hold something in place with magnets.

Has anyone’s leaked anywhere else other than the seam along the bottom of the front window?

We were away at the weekend and there was a small chance of rain overnight, so we put a load of cloths out (similar to @bullibuskombi above) and covered the front seats. Thankfully it didn’t rain, but it got me thinking if I should be covering up other areas just incase.

Has anyone’s leaked anywhere else other than the seam along the bottom of the front window?

We were away at the weekend and there was a small chance of rain overnight, so we put a load of cloths out (similar to @bullibuskombi above) and covered the front seats. Thankfully it didn’t rain, but it got me thinking if I should be covering up other areas just incase.
After the first leaks I attached some plastic bags to the bungie cord over the window area. stopped the leaks.
Mine has the new material.

My Cali was registered Nov22. Light inside bellows.

Last night was the first night in hours of constant rain (not much wind at all)

Leaking as others along the seem. Luckily, moped up before it could get down behind the centre display.

Will have to see where the nearest Cali VW dealer is to me and see what they say.

Phil

IMG-20230629-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20230629-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:
My Cali was registered Nov23. Light inside bellows.

Last night was the first night in hours of constant rain (not much wind at all)

Leaking as others along the seem. Luckily, moped up before it could get down behind the centre display.

Will have to see where the nearest Cali VW dealer is to me and see what they say.

Phil

View attachment 110418

View attachment 110419
Any idea of build date? If registered in Nov that suggests a late Sept early Oct build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back