Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2023 Ocean leaking roof fabric

Status
Not open for further replies.
The canvas shouldn't leak even without it being wetted. I wouldn't expect a modern material to let in water, they must have a coating etc on, they won't be plain cotton canvas of old.

Manufacturers don't wet Convertible cars before handing them over.
Don‘t know about soft tops, but some car makers do complete water tests. I visited the Nissan plant in Sunderland and the shop floor was littered with dozens of parked up finished cars. They’d failed their water tests and most were fitted with sunroofs awaiting seal adjustments. The water test bay could simulate every intensity of rain.

No seam will be 100% waterproof unless its also taped on the inside (similar to a winter wetsuit, heat tape is applied to the inside, and a liquid rubber seal applied over the external seam to prevent a cold flush). The older fabric would expand when wet so helped to seal needle holes.

Water will always eventually find a way through the needle holes. One of the issues might be the large front window as the more seams you have, the greater chance of leaks. The tighter the fabric, the more pressure you put on the seams when the roof is open. Also the seams on the front look to run long the horizontal...might have been better to have a slight slope on the seam to help the water disperse.

Best bet is to apply a waterproofing product focusing on the seams, as the fabric itself is not the issue. Only problem with doing so is that VW may refuse a later warranty claim due to use of a waterproofing product.
Totally agree, having used quality mountain tents for years snd waterproof jackets, all of these have taped seems. I suspect the seams are not taped as the roof fabric is subjected to repeated folding and stretching, tapes wouldn’t stay on.
Another solution to tape is seal sealer, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0009RP8HO/?tag=eliteelect-21 this would improve the situation for sure and is flexible but not look the best.
The fact the roof is s single skin tent means there will be condensation hence there are vent. I suspect the design brief takes the vents into account so sealing the seems was not a priority.

No seam will be 100% waterproof unless its also taped on the inside (similar to a winter wetsuit, heat tape is applied to the inside, and a liquid rubber seal applied over the external seam to prevent a cold flush). The older fabric would expand when wet so helped to seal needle holes.

Water will always eventually find a way through the needle holes. One of the issues might be the large front window as the more seams you have, the greater chance of leaks. The tighter the fabric, the more pressure you put on the seams when the roof is open. Also the seams on the front look to run long the horizontal...might have been better to have a slight slope on the seam to help the water disperse.

Best bet is to apply a waterproofing product focusing on the seams, as the fabric itself is not the issue. Only problem with doing so is that VW may refuse a later warranty claim due to use of a waterproofing product.
As you say be careful if you do apply a DIY waterproof… any opportunity for VW to get out of warranty. If I recall the California handbook specifically says you shouldn’t put any waterproofing on the “canvas”.

Don‘t know about soft tops, but some car makers do complete water tests. I visited the Nissan plant in Sunderland and the shop floor was littered with dozens of parked up finished cars. They’d failed their water tests and most were fitted with sunroofs awaiting seal adjustments. The water test bay could simulate every intensity of rain.
So on that theory...the VW would be fully water tested long before handover and the 'wetting of the canvas' is null and void.

The supplying franchise chain needs to sort the issue without 'wetting' fob offs. It's 2023 with modern material, not 1960 with cotton tents.

What does the California Suppliment Handbook say for the T6.1

Extract for T5.1

IMG_2153.jpeg

That's covers their backs...
Don't use in rain lol.

Get it soaked in Fabsil Gold, job done.

So on that theory...the VW would be fully water tested long before handover and the 'wetting of the canvas' is null and void.

The supplying franchise chain needs to sort the issue without 'wetting' fob offs. It's 2023 with modern material, not 1960 with cotton tents.
Nothing wrong with cotton, just saying !

I guess it depends on how you define ‘driving rain’?
I feel i would describe it as when rain is blown in thought the air vents.
It was never designed to be fully waterproof if its got unprotected vent holes, any descent tent would have flaps to prevent driving rain blowing in and any seams sealed , even a £85 argos tent (https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5023628) is better in this regard. I feel the roof in driving rain needs to treated like a double skin tent, the cali roof is an robust inner tent which needs a wrap to be properly water tight.

The 2022 Ocean we hired didn’t let a drop of water through in rain. When the rain gets driven hard enough to blow through the roof vents I reckon it’s close to top-down weather anyway (maybe that’s VW’s thinking?)

The 2022 Ocean we hired didn’t let a drop of water through in rain. When the rain gets driven hard enough to blow through the roof vents I reckon it’s close to top-down weather anyway (maybe that’s VW’s thinking?)
Yes I feel you are correct or add the external cover.
Making a truly waterproof roof and it being durable from the repeated collapse and stretching would probably not be possible so VW didn’t. I guess we can agree its very water resistant so VW did a good compromise. .

If it’s possible to make a car soft top waterproof I wonder what the problem is with the Cali roof? The only obvious difference is the car roof seems a heavier gauge material.
I wouldn’t be too impressed if my car handbook said I shouldn’t go out in the rain! Touchwood, my car doesn’t leak.

If it’s possible to make a car soft top waterproof I wonder what the problem is with the Cali roof? The only obvious difference is the car roof seems a heavier gauge material.
I wouldn’t be too impressed if my car handbook said I shouldn’t go out in the rain! Touchwood, my car doesn’t leak.
Totally, wonder why, perhaps VW decided as its a habitat area with cooking etc ventilation was required to reduce undesirable condensation and the consequences and in doing so it wasn’t worth making it more than water resistant.

And update on this issue, especially from VW dealers?

And update on this issue, especially from VW dealers?
Thanks for the reminder, as we haven’t had any rain recently I’d forgotten all about this. We’ve emailed our dealer today to ask if they’ve heard anything about others experiencing this, or have any suggestions.

I seem to recall from this thread one or more people were booked in in early June, so will be interested to read their updates.

So the issues with our brand new Cali continue. After having to have a brand fridge fitted as the original never worked, we have now discovered that a seam in the roof fabric leaks water when it is raining.
Yesterday was the first day away in the van, when we have encountered rain. Whilst sat looking forward, I noticed water dripping onto the seats. When I looked up, water was running in all along the seam that runs along the bottom of the semi circle window (photo attached). The ledge at the bottom where the light switch is was soaked with water. My local van centre have stated that there is a £320 charge for investigating water ingress, which will be payable if the issue isn’t covered under warranty (I’m pretty sure it will be).
Has anyone else had issues with leaking bellows on an Ocean 6.1 with the new fabric?

View attachment 108249
Hi we have a new a (april23 ) Cali ocean 6.1. First outing of pop top in light rain it leaked along the front seams. Dealer collected and replaced bellows. Still not tested if it leaks as we have not had any rain. It did take a week or so for the dealer to action the replacement but I think that was down to a communication mix up on their part. I hope you get yours sorted. I wonder if it was a duff batch of bellows? !

Hi we have a new a (april23 ) Cali ocean 6.1. First outing of pop top in light rain it leaked along the front seams. Dealer collected and replaced bellows. Still not tested if it leaks as we have not had any rain. It did take a week or so for the dealer to action the replacement but I think that was down to a communication mix up on their part. I hope you get yours sorted. I wonder if it was a duff batch of bellows? !
Was it replaced with the new style bellows material. Can you detect any obvious differences along the seams?

Was it replaced with the new style bellows material. Can you detect any obvious differences along the seams?
As far as I can tell it was replaced like for like with the bellows which are light on the inside. As soon as it rains I will report back

As far as I can tell it was replaced like for like with the bellows which are light on the inside. As soon as it rains I will report back
Might be worth doing the hosepipe test. With the current hot weather it will dry out pretty quick.

Hello, our van is still at the local van centre...the van centre have been great but vw technical denied all knowledge of leaking seams in the new bellows and said there have been no technical faults registered...they were refusing to do anything (even though we'd sent pictures and videos of the leaks, drips and water pooling). We've had to escalate to vw customer care for resolution..the van centre is now replacing the bellows. But very dissapointed in response from vw technical

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.