Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

£82,000 for a Cali!

I love a good VAT thread :)

Firstly, I do agree that non-VAT registered sellers - probably most Autotrader users - won't charge any VAT on any sales of anything, so yes the Margin Scheme is only relevant to dealer sales. However, given that most (all?) the examples changing hands on this thread have involved dealers, I'd forgive myself for not saying this explicitly in my last post.

As a preamble, it's worth being clear on what "ex VAT" means, because it's a common area of confusion. I'm sorry if anyone thinks this is insulting to their own intelligence but a lot of people (including some commercial solicitors who ought to know better) don't get it right:

"Ex VAT" is short for "excluding VAT", which in tax-world means "any VAT chargeable on this sale is due to be paid by the buyer to the seller in addition to the price stated". It doesn't matter who paid/recovered what earlier in the supply chain, the term refers entirely to who bears the cost of any VAT to be accounted for on this sale.

Based on the above paragraph, it's plausible that a VW California could be subject to VAT when sold by Dealer 1 to Driver 1, then not be subject to VAT when sold by Driver 1 to Dealer 2, but then be subject to VAT again (but see below) when sold by Dealer 2 to Driver 3. This thread seems mainly to be concerned with the sale from Dealer 2 to Driver 3, i.e. a second-hand, used, vehicle.

The reason I said we need to consider the Margin Scheme is this:

If I see an advert from a dealer, such as most of the examples above, which says "75k ex VAT" I want to know if the dealer's going to charge me any VAT on top of my 75k. I also want to know how much VAT, particularly if I'm going to be indignant about the final price on the internet. Without knowing if the sale comes into the Margin Scheme I don't know how much VAT, if any, will be charged to me on my purchase. It might be £0 if the dealer bought the same vehicle for <=75k and made no margin. Or if he bought it for 60k, I'd pay VAT on the 15k margin, i.e. 3k of VAT. So in this example, the selling price would be 75k ex VAT, but actually £78k inc VAT.

To make it even better, because the Margin Scheme is optional, the dealer might charge me VAT at 20% on the full 75k, so I'd end up paying £90k in total.

None of this is affected by what tax the first buyer ("Driver 1" in my earlier paragraph) paid, so we can't say "the price probably includes VAT because the first buyer paid it", because there are too many other, more relevant, variables which affect whether any VAT will be charged on top of the quoted price where we're looking at the sale of a second hand vehicle.

Is anyone still reading...

As I said its simple - if you are a private buyer from a dealer just check if it includes VAT.

The margin scheme is irrelevant to you as a private buyer.

On the Listers website (and applicable to this £75k Coast) they show a finance example and the vehicle price is down as £90,000.

On the Listers website (and applicable to this £75k Coast) they show a finance example and the vehicle price is down as £90,000.
Yes I’ve seen that too. It means they intend to charge £90k for that particular vehicle, so £75k + vat.. that definitely can’t be right unless they know something all of us on here don’t know.

I never quite understand the 'shock-horror' reaction to Cali prices on here as I presume that all those commenting already have a Cali.

I think of it as good news that my Cali value is remaining static or improving over time.

I think the point being.
It even raises an eyebrow with us Mugs…

I tried to buy a third van from Worcester couple of years ago. Repeat customer(mug) and they wouldn’t budge on price.
From experience they are always way over market value. I’ve often wondered how they sell anything…???

Yes I’ve seen that too. It means they intend to charge £90k for that particular vehicle, so £75k + vat.. that definitely can’t be right unless they know something all of us on here don’t know.
£90 is usually the total purchase price including deposit and interest, many purchasers tend to quote the forecourt price not what the actual cost was including the finance.

eg purchase was for £60K taken on finance deal for 5 years with an end cost of £70K (notional figures).

£90 is usually the total purchase price including deposit and interest, many purchasers tend to quote the forecourt price not what the actual cost was including the finance.

eg purchase was for £60K taken on finance deal for 5 years with an end cost of £70K (notional figures).
If you take a look at their website you will see the PCP deal Has a total cost of £103,047,04 . So it looks very much like the price IS £90k.
ONE HUNDRED AND THREE THOUSAND QUID...

If you take a look at their website you will see the PCP deal Has a total cost of £103,047,04 . So it looks very much like the price IS £90k.

What’s the monthly’s on that…?

1- this is a bubble. No doubt.
2- this vw dealer should get a dressing down by vw. They should not let their dealers behaves like crooks.

Could be just a sales ploy as if the buyer negotiates a 10>15% discount they'd feel that they drove a bargain purchase.
Smoke & mirrors?

I think, despite popular opinion, I am not totally stupid.

Why would I not pay £100k for a Cali that I reason I can use for 3 years, go where I want whenever I want, stop over for about one fifth of the price of a hotel, cook in for £10 rather than eat out for £50, enjoy almost unlimited freedom and sell for £80k at the end of a. 3 year blast that has saved me thousands?

It's not stupidity, it's gold star common sense.

Why would I not pay £100k for a Cali that I reason I can use for 3 years, go where I want whenever I want, stop over for about one fifth of the price of a hotel, cook in for £10 rather than eat out for £50, enjoy almost unlimited freedom and sell for £80k at the end of a. 3 year blast that has saved me thousands?

and you can use it as a car, so you'll save the insurance , depreciation, maintenance and tax of a second vehicle.
At 100k only I feel like I'm robbing the dealer!

Everything is relative. Take a walk around the harbour in Monaco. Those people with the small mega yachts must think those with a pool on the third deck have more money than sense.

Everything is relative. Take a walk around the harbour in Monaco. Those people with the small mega yachts must think those with a pool on the third deck have more money than sense.

Jeff Bezos new $1.2 Billion Super Yacht has a small support Mega Yacht with helipad.
If reports are correct, that’s only half his monthly salary…

In theory this may well be true but in practice no. People have very short memories that for the past year+ we have not been able to do anything, travel ANYWHERE. Overseas travel banned even inter uk country banned. Things are NOT back to normal so just hold your horses...Everyone has the right to spend their own money the way they want but £100k for a camper van ? Psychiatrists are having a field day..

A LOT........

I just went to have a look.
The add has disappeared. The dealer must’ve saw this post or it’s sold to some Mug…

Back