Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

£82,000 for a Cali!

I seriously cannot comprehend that anyone could be that desperate to own a VW Campervan. That price is more than My house. My van and my car cost altogether. Must be lovely to have that much money....Or borrow that much money.

whoever said Calis have very low depreciation was wrong. They don't have depreciation, they have appreciation!

Just been speaking to a friend with a Bailey motorhome. He knows someone who has been waiting for his Bailey m/h to be delivered. The guy has had the dealer on the phone asking if he wasn't really going to use it this year would he be interested in cancelling the purchase for £3000 cash. Crazy.

It’s certainly time to bail if you’re not going to get much use out of your van. The supply issues will sort themselves out. A figure was suggested for ours by a chap who converts and sells campervans, surprising.

think I might flog my 19 plate Beach (9k miles) and order a brand new one , I suppose I could wait for delivery and still have £10k pocket money or wait and buy a 2nd hand one next year :cheers

think I might flog my 19 plate Beach (9k miles) and order a brand new one , I suppose I could wait for delivery and still have £10k pocket money or wait and buy a 2nd hand one next year :cheers
Just seen a post for a Beach ordered in Feb to be built in June, so you might not have to wait too long

If you're serious then I'd wait until next year. Current used prices are ridiculous, just plain bonkers. You could argue the prices for new ones are equally as mad.

People are free to spend their money as they see fit and what seems poor value to me, won't be to the next person who sees this purchase as their only way of getting a holiday this year.

That holiday will come to an end and I fear will be one of the most expensive some people will ever make.

Buyers getting caught up in the madness need to remember that drive the deal are today offering Coasts at £52.6k and Oceans at £60.5

I accept they won't be here for a year, but given the hyper inflation we have in some areas, not a bad hedge.

82K buys 10 years of 5 star holidays!
The cost would be the depreciation on that initial payment, currently my 2016 Ocean is valued by WBAC at £48 k, that is just over £1000 for 4.5 years use, perhaps half of a one star holiday in that time.
I know we live in unusual times but...

A camper van is a camper van and could not in any way be compared to say a 5 star hotel. on a campsite you have at least some facilities, some good some excellent some awful. I wouldn’t expect a 5 star experience on any campsite in a VW camper. People are paying ridiculous amounts for camper vans and motor homes because they have been deprived of any holiday experience for the past 15 months and they think that a camper van is the answer. Yes for some it is and for others it’s can be a massive expensive mistake. When all this mess calms down and VW ramp up production instead of cutting production the prices will come back down to what they should have been if Covid hadn’t happened. I think my VW Camper is great but my life doesn’t revolve around it. If I’d paid £103k at over £1000 per month with £25k deposit and after all that a huge balloon at the end that would be a be a different matter. Twice in my life I got into that kind of debt and that was to buy a house. For a camper van Er I don’t think so.

A camper van is a camper van and could not in any way be compared to say a 5 star hotel. on a campsite you have at least some facilities, some good some excellent some awful. I wouldn’t expect a 5 star experience on any campsite in a VW camper. People are paying ridiculous amounts for camper vans and motor homes because they have been deprived of any holiday experience for the past 15 months and they think that a camper van is the answer. Yes for some it is and for others it’s can be a massive expensive mistake. When all this mess calms down and VW ramp up production instead of cutting production the prices will come back down to what they should have been if Covid hadn’t happened. I think my VW Camper is great but my life doesn’t revolve around it. If I’d paid £103k at over £1000 per month with £25k deposit and after all that a huge balloon at the end that would be a be a different matter. Twice in my life I got into that kind of debt and that was to buy a house. For a camper van Er I don’t think so.
You are right in someways but you might find the price of everything now stays up,for example labour costs are rising component prices are now much higher if inflation starts to rise bank borrowing rates will increase this will mean the manufacturers operating costs will rise and that means the product selling price will increase.When interest rates do start to rise and they will the work force will start to want pay increases to cover increased living costs.As for the California price it is a lot of money but look at the new defender90, spec one up it takes nothing to spec it too 90k and that is for a 3 door 4x4 so I think the California ocean and coast are probably about right.I always remember the old guy next door when I first moved into my first house saying he paid 5k for his house I told him I paid 55k he nearly fell over lol exactly the same house.

You are right in someways but you might find the price of everything now stays up,for example labour costs are rising component prices are now much higher if inflation starts to rise bank borrowing rates will increase this will mean the manufacturers operating costs will rise and that means the product selling price will increase.When interest rates do start to rise and they will the work force will start to want pay increases to cover increased living costs.As for the California price it is a lot of money but look at the new defender90, spec one up it takes nothing to spec it too 90k and that is for a 3 door 4x4 so I think the California ocean and coast are probably about right.I always remember the old guy next door when I first moved into my first house saying he paid 5k for his house I told him I paid 55k he nearly fell over lol exactly the same house.
Yes of course I understand we will always have inflation. But VW are not stupid and know that if they make their waiting lists longer then they can raise their prices and the spiral goes on. The reason why inflation is rising is because companies are trying to get some of the money back they have lost over the past 15 months. Our first house was bought by the first owner for CASH in 1938 for £500. We bought it for £9250 in 1975. It’s now over half a million..Crazy Crazy.

Yes of course I understand we will always have inflation. But VW are not stupid and know that if they make their waiting lists longer then they can raise their prices and the spiral goes on. The reason why inflation is rising is because companies are trying to get some of the money back they have lost over the past 15 months. Our first house was bought by the first owner for CASH in 1938 for £500. We bought it for £9250 in 1975. It’s now over half a million..Crazy Crazy.
Not sure if they are making them longer deliberately,a lot of companies make the money on units sold the more units sold the better the conversion cost,but they are probably taking advantage of the market just like homeowners are now and holiday companies will when restrictions are fully lifted.My concern is these prices stick going forward due to new wage and other costs and I believe you will see nearly all the new prices for everything we buy stay at this new level unfortunately

That cali isn’t £103k it’s a mistake that vw commercial/autotrader listing happens all the time. Yes they are crazy prices now but not that crazy :thumb

Having had the opportunity previously to have stayed in both 4 & 5 star hotels I can from experience say the Cali falls short on the experience, that said it offers many other benefits, which we are all aware of, hence why we own them. But it’s not a 5* hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having had the opportunity previously to have stayed in both 4 & 5 star hotels I can from experience say the Cali falls short on the experience, that said it offers many other benefits, which we are all aware of, hence why we own them. But it’s not a 5* hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. Before the Cali just fancy 5* hotels for me and the girlfriend somewhere to be reached by plane.
I’ve bought the Cali 2 years ago because it would enable better holidays, experience and memories imo for my little daughter. But it depends how and were you camp.
In summer I spend 2-3 weeks camping by the Adriatic sea in Italy. There are some 4 and 5 star camping sites there.
Apart from pitches with ALL hook ups (water, waste water, power + tv, and wifi), there are some pitches with your own private bathroom in the pitch itself. There are several restaurants where you can book half or full board if you like. Or just show up whenever you want. Swim parks (not pool, parks!) with slides etc that you would dream of in the top 5star hotels. sauna and Spa. Several shops including optician, hairdresser, clothing, you name it. All inside the camping.
Evening entertainment with piano bar for adults, Baby dance for younger.
They won’t do your bed everyday but they certainly shorten the gap a lot vs a 5* hotel.
And in fact it’s a lot better than a hotel room. I’ve got my own bed and sheets, and 80 to 100 square meters just for us, for our bikes, kajak, much bigger private dining area. And my minibar filled with what i like at supermarket prices ;)

Back