Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

£82,000 for a Cali!

When I parted with £58 K three years ago made me feel sick can’t imagine upgrading to over £80K - TBH seams very overpriced - mine had all the bells and whistles @the time, with similar mileage.
Have they really increased in price this much ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were two new Beaches in VW Van Swindon mid week for about £58k. Don't know the spec.

It’s a nice spec van.
But... It’s a van...!!!

For the first time in a while I think the better converters have a chance to offer something similar at a much lower cost.
Without it being to much of a compromise.

It’s a nice spec van.
But... It’s a van...!!!

For the first time in a while I think the better converters have a chance to offer something similar at a much lower cost.
Without it being to much of a compromise.
Exactly. We all love our Calis, but it is a small, posh builders van. I thought the £56k we paid last year was a huge amount but £82k is just daft. No way we would, or could, spend that on a van.

Massive ‘available now’ premium at the moment. Wait 6 months and save 10k. Still expensive, but that’s the choice. Bet it sells though.

Exactly. We all love our Calis, but it is a small, posh builders van. I thought the £56k we paid last year was a huge amount but £82k is just daft. No way we would, or could, spend that on a van.

Agree.
I would consider a conversion based on the California parts, which a few of the good converters now seem to offer. But would need front and rear AC.
My last van didn’t have rear AC and I wouldn’t buy another without this option.

I wonder if kombi vans have this option...?

There were two new Beaches in VW Van Swindon mid week for about £58k. Don't know the spec.
That makes me feel better. Just dropped this on a beach with a great spec and 4motion, so I suspect if what I had purchased was available in the U.K. it would be more.

I’m sure I’ve seen post in previous years, such as “£62k for a Cali, I paid £47k for my SE” etc.
Yes they are a lot of money, but if you look at the price of a well spec’d Kombi they are a lot of money too, as a decent base vehicle.
VW don’t seem to have a problem selling them - just building them quick enough, although I’m sure that’s all part of the plan.

Is it the Diff. Lock that makes it so precious ?
Haha you got me! Availability was the key. Being able to walk in to the show room and see what I was buying and at a price that was only a little above my 2020 order price. May still be time to go find some snow in the mountains too next weekend.

Agree.
I would consider a conversion based on the California parts, which a few of the good converters now seem to offer. But would need front and rear AC.
My last van didn’t have rear AC and I wouldn’t buy another without this option.

I wonder if kombi vans have this option...?
Exactly the same issue for us. The lack of aircon in the back was a real headache in Europe.

Good morning,

As long as people are willing to pay that sum for a California, VW will charge those high prices.

I speced a California Ocean on the German web page. My preffered configuration came over EUR 96.000. OK, there was a lot of technology in there, but at the end it is a small camper.

Just for fun I look at campervans e.g. Hymer, Poessel, Hobby, Westfalia or Sunlight. It is amzaing what one could get for EUR 80 to 85.000 (to keep specification a wee bit similiar to the California). But even for EUR 70.000 would give you a decent campervan. Have I said that that is still an awfull lot of money.

I try to focus on campervans which would be able to buy in Ireland. In camparison to Europe or UK the options are limited. In Germany there are a few more manfuacturer I would be interested (e.g. La Strada) but they are not available here. Have I said that, a decent speced German camptervan is not cheap either. It must be a German thing to charge a lot (to be fair, for good technology and a good product).

But all this is dreaming. At the moment it seems the waiting list for a campervan with the specification of choice is around 12 month! So we will enjoy our van as much as possible as soon as the lockdown is over.

Happy California,
Eberhard

So, no admin fees! What's that all about, you pay £82k and then you're expected to pay extras?

I'm quite happy with prices at that level.

It justifies my keeping my now low use Cali.

Depreciation is vastly reduced on mine.

When looking at cars, 4x4's that offer comparable spec and carrying capacity currently, the price seems more normal.

When looking at cars, 4x4's that offer comparable spec and carrying capacity currently, the price seems more normal
Agree; price of any half way decent vehicle has rocketed in the last few years. Availability of finance and the PCP culture has had an effect - more interested in the monthly cost than the real bottom lone.

Agree; price of any half way decent vehicle has rocketed in the last few years. Availability of finance and the PCP culture has had an effect - more interested in the monthly cost than the real bottom lone.
Known of a few you were singing the praises of PCP until they hit the mileage limit and couldn't afford the surcharge, parked up then. Also had no asset to trade in for the next vehicle and had to downsize or get an old vehicle.

Back