Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wild Camping

Smudge

Smudge

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We are about to invest in our first Cali. So to help me decide on which engine we choose I am asking your advice on your experiences and knowledge.

We are new to the campervan way of life as we have always spent all our free time under canvas. We have always preferred the wilder campsites, i.e. in the middle of nowhere and a five star luxury accommodation for us is if there is a tap with fresh running water.

In a tent (over the last 30 plus years) we have never had anything stolen or as a matter of fact any other issues.

My question is, have any of you experienced or know of anyone who has experienced any break-ins whilst you are in the thick of it. I would like to leave my van parked up next to a stream somewhere remote like in the Highland or the Lakes, spend all day in the mountains and then come back to my remote spot and enjoy the rest of the evening like i do in my car. Is it commonplace to find that someone else has taken a shine to your van and its belongings whilst you are away?

If so I go for the DSG and leave it on the nearest campsite under the watchful eye of all the other campers, or if not I go for the DSG 4motion so that I can get to these far away places, with the knowledge that I can also comfortably get back from them.

On the same note have any of you experienced this type of thing in places like pub car parks or supermarket car parks?

Hi Smudge,
I have no experience of this in a Cali because like you we haven't got ours yet. However I must confess that I too will be more than a little nervous leaving our new Cali in a remote spot whilst we go off walking. But I would be almost as nervous leaving a car as well.

From my limited experience I would say that sadly it is not uncommon. About two years ago my wife and I wanted to take a walk along the spectacular and stunning Cats Back in the black mountains. Having driven up the country lanes to the remote car park we were greeted upon our arrival by a distressed couple who had just returned to their car to find all of the windows broken. A similar thing happened to our family in the New Forrest when one of our party had parked their car in a remote car park. On our return it had been broken into and ransacked. My elderly father also had his car broken into whilst visiting one of the Roman Forts on Hadrian's Wall.
So I suppose its down to pure luck. You either keep going to these glorious remote beauty spots and living life to the full or you avoid them and give in to these poor, unfortunate souls who deserve our support and understanding!
I don't know what measures you can take to avoid this sort of thing happening. Even a suitable burglar bum biter Cali dog would probably be having its walkies with you, so wouldn't provide any deterrent.
As for your choice of Cali, all I can say is that I have bought a 180 SE dsg 4 motion and I intend to sally forth regardless.

Sorry to give such a gloomy reply but you did ask. I hope others can report better experiences. I will just add that in two of the examples that I mentioned we later found out that the locations were apparently known hot spots for this kind of thing.

Last edited:
It happens. Scumbags have existed since man first got off 4 paws and started to walk on his hind legs only to find someone had nicked his shoes. Even Roman chariot parks were not immune and in 114AD there were reports of scumbags nicking chariots and possessions from chariots at Mercato Traiano in Rome, although in those days the culprits if caught were sent to play with the lions in the coliseum.

I've wild-camped all over the UK in some very isolated places and never had a problem. I've left my vehicle in some very dodgy places, both here and in France and never had a problem. However I am never complacent enough to think that it will never happen..

It happens. Scumbags have existed since man first got off 4 paws and started to walk on his hind legs only to find someone had nicked his shoes. Even Roman chariot parks were not immune and in 114AD there were reports of scumbags nicking chariots and possessions from chariots at Mercato Traiano in Rome, although in those days the culprits if caught were sent to play with the lions in the coliseum.

I've wild-camped all over the UK in some very isolated places and never had a problem. I've left my vehicle in some very dodgy places, both here and in France and never had a problem. However I am never complacent enough to think that it will never happen..
Thanks GrannyJen,
A much more upbeat reply based on actual Cali experience in the Wild.

Not to worry you, but you really can't trust man nor beast these days - we made a VERY stressful trip up Hardknot Pass in the Lake District (think near vertical climb and horizontal switch backs). We reached the top and needed some air so pulled over, got our boots out and headed off for a walk.

Our beloved T5 ('Gurty') in Candy White with the standard black windows et al performed flawlessly throughout and we left her quite content.

On our way back we reached a vantage point overlooking our Gurty and noticed she was surrounded by Cows - BIG cows. They clearly thought she was a Cow terrorist. Not only had they surrounded poor Gurty but in a Strictly Come Dancing formation were reversing their Kardashian arses in to the side panels.

In a manic parental fashion we charged the poor cows who wondered why we were protecting BIG cow and moved away snorting. Thankfully Gurty only suffered from a light coating of Cow excrement.

Hello,

Being a bit of a wuss I was not entirely sure about wild camping. I have wild camped a few times and have slept with my pants on and with the van pointing towards the exit route just in case I needed to make an emergency exit. I have found a good compromise between wild camping and fussy soulless camp sites, namely Britstops. I regard Britsops as training exercises for proper wild camps of the future. I hope to make it into the hardcore wild camping brigade soon.

Kind regards
Mike

Hi I've wild camped all over Britain touch wood never had a problem the job I'm on at the minute 9 months with at least. 5 days a week wild camping join the local gym keep in shape and shower my van however not a California has a two week capability for power Eberspacer for heating I am at work for 12 hours might be different if I was on my hols but the odd night won't hurt you gaining confidence I mix in with the lorry drivers they do it all the time regards

Thanks GrannyJen,
A much more upbeat reply based on actual Cali experience in the Wild.

Now,

Lets talk positives,

wake up on the Mull of Kintyre, miles from the nearest through road, 5am, and you will experience something that very few in their lives will experience, peace, solitude, glory of nature alone and wild ...

Park up in the teeth of a raging storm, shelter, anywhere, and a big tick on the "done it" list...

Drumbeg, wild, only deer eating grass outside your door ....

John o'groats ... big car park ... the gorgeous sunrise

This is Cali country. Leave the comfort zone behind at the nearest all-facility campsite, your all enclosed survival module can take you anywhere, will take you anywhere and you will survive .....

Had loads of nights wild camping in our Cali. Small coastal car parks etc. We tend to arrive late and leave early to avoid fuss.

I pretty much always wild camp but much more in Europe. I do leave the van and always hope for the best. Fortunately I have been lucky. I think its a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and so far I've been ok.
Get the 4wd and follow your instincts and get the very best from your Cali.

We have a belt and braces approach. If we are miles from anywhere and it would be a disaster if the van wasn't there we put the steering wheel lock on. We always carry all our valuables with us. Fingers crossed.

We have the 4 motion so we can always get of the dodgy verge or mud bath that is the only option for parking :Grin

You are all right, there are toe rags in all walks of life. I have had my vehicle broken into 3 times and my house broken into twice. All of them were secure. However I have had my tent up in hundreds of sites all over the world protected only by a zip and nothing has happened. But that's not to say that it won't happen the next time I go camping.

As nobody has said that they have had their vans specifically targeted, the stealing from them in particular is not as commonplace as I was first lead to believe. I am however aware that the spare wheel does have a nasty habit of going missing.

I would like to leave my van parked up next to a stream somewhere remote like in the Highland or the Lakes, spend all day in the mountains and then come back to my remote spot and enjoy the rest of the evening like i do in my car. Is it commonplace to find that someone else has taken a shine to your van and its belongings whilst you are away?
You're more likely to have your van stolen while it's outside you're house, as low life would be aware where it was always parked and therefore be able to plan a theft.

You would be extremely unlucky to for someone in a remote spot to chance on your van and have the equipment and know how to be able to steal it. In reality you would need the keys or a transporter (no pun!) to be able to take it.

As regards the contents, we normally put the blinds up so people may be unsure whether there is someone in the van asleep or resting. And don't leave anything valuable in there!

Just enjoy the van and don't worry about things that may never happen :thumb

Just enjoy the van and don't worry about things that may never happen :thumb[/QUOTE]

That's a fair comment if ever I have heard one.

Unlikely that it will be stolen in the wild as Motacyclist states above. Might be keyed, or dented in a car park shunt perhaps.
Most likely option is for a break in to steal anything of value, although that will set off the alarm. You can help yourself by getting some Smartwater. (£15 for a car kit) The stickers may be enough to put someone off the idea (if they can read of course)
Also take your valuables with you, and hide any charging wires, bags etc as they suggest that you have stuff worth nicking.

I still think that a Cali theft register should be created to record these unfortunate events to help others AND to show the lack of event frequency in the first place.

Hi,

We got our Cali just over a year ago and have done about 60 nights in total (last night included) - All but one of them has been wild, most in scotland where we stay but a fair way across the border.

Never had a problem and don't anticipate one. We're careful to pick spots that shouldn't cause irritation to any locals / landowners etc. We keep things tidy, wave and smile a lot and things are good.

Like some other members have said there is always a chance of something happening but we firmly believe its a very small risk that is very worth taking for the tranquility and beauty of the undeveloped landscapes we stay in.

(Being Scottish we also have the view that we spent over 40K on the van "bu**ered if we're going to pay for a campsite as well"! )

Use common sense but go for it !

Hi smudge,
I think you have to accept theft from vehicles and of vehicles can happen anywhere. I prefer wild camping to camp sites, getting away to remote spots appeals to me more than sharing a crowded campsite with my fellow man his kids, dogs, noise and mess ..
Here's some of my thoughts on VW T5 camper vans and wild or remote camping. The T5 range are I believe almost impossible to start up and drive away without a programmed key, (they can however be winched onto a low loader and transported away), so, park with front wheels turned on a lock. Driving wheels and spare are easy to remove and steal, so, locking wheel nuts and spare wheel lock. All vehicles can have windows smashed, jemmied, to steal belongings from inside, so don't leave valuables on show / hide things / hidden safe for documents, decent audible alarm on separate battery, VW factory alarm offerings seem pretty good with vehicle movement sensor, habitation space movement sensor, immobiliser. Fuel can be contaminated, immobilising your vehicle, (the fuel flap is easy to force open), buy a locking fuel cap, plastic fuel tank can be punctured from below to steal fuel, no solution to this.
If you make your California vehicle 'self sufficient' with a porta poti toilet and 200w worth of solar panels you can if you wish to, choose very basic camp sites, just cold water and toilet, no hook up, no bar, this eliminates many of the more annoying campers / kids / dogs / tv's, etc ..
Wild camping, Choose carefully were you wild camp, arrive late, can you choose 'out of sight', if no one knows you are there, no one will bother you, theft is less likely. I don't have a bright orange or yellow campervan ..! I do have blackout curtains. 4 motion if you can + block tread off road capable tyres for mud / snow and sand, (keep to a high load rating they seem more puncture resistant than lower load rated tyres), take a look at Goodyear Cargo Vecta there's two tread patterns available, 'linear road summer', and said 'mud and snow' block tread, I'm on 215/65 R16C 106/104T MS, ... its nice to get back off that remote beach when the tides coming in. If you do get really stuck somewhere remote, consider a rear tow bar, more robust chassis mountings than the rather flimsy front towing eye, then find a farmer and tractor and rope. Consider hard wiring in front and rear dash cams, 64Gb micro SD will give 9 hrs HD continuous loop recording. I'm using Transcend Drive Pro 220's. Will some one break in to steal my dash cams ? lol. and finally, a tracker .. I'm just fiddling around fitting a cheap chinese tracker GSM/GPRS/GPS, internet market is flooded with these just now, e.g. Sainspeed TK102B, £20.00 direct from china, plus will need a £10.00 M2M GeoSim 'pay as you go', This facilitates tracking location UK and Europe on Google maps on your smart phone, and allows setting up a 'geo fence', to notify your phone if your vehicle moves out of a pre determined spot. In 50 years of camping and now Campervanning I've never had anything stolen, probably been lucky, but a random pattern of wild camping the more remote the spot and the worse the weather lol, doesn't attract low life with a 'plan to steal', opportunist theft if you're unlucky maybe.

Good luck with your Cali purchase and enjoy the freedom.

Rob H.