Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ABOUT TO DIVE IN!

veg_frenzy

veg_frenzy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hello all,
After due consideration, I am close to placing an order for new Cali. I have a couple od questions that more experienced members may be able to answer. I plan to get a 180 DSG.
1. Are mud flaps, safety kit standard?
2. Standard spec indicates that parking heater (with remote) is standard. Dealer it wasn't.
3. Leather seats: Any views on benefits or negatives?
4. Tracker: Any views on benefits or negatives?
5. Premium Bluetooth: Does this allows auto iPhone use. I think so.

Many thanks.

1. Mud Flaps no, Not sure what the safety kit is, first aid kit is supplied
2. Parking Heater not sure what you mean by that but built in cabin heater is standard with one remote.
3. Leather seats get http://www.transcal.co.uk/portfolio?mod_id=219 £1200 you can order them takes a week and they can fit them in a morning stunning quality and great designs. An no I am not on commission :crazy
4. Tracker needs CAT5 for insurance reduction but its peanuts. It depends if you really need/want it the fob you have to have with you is a pain I use http://www.tracker.co.uk but cobra has one around the same price with a Credit Card size fob. But its horses for courses. Its quite handy if you can charge milage to your company as its stores the journeys on the website.
5. Premium Bluetooth: I think it does on mine it is part of the TV Media section it plays music as well as calls I would imagine they are the same but perhaps some else can answer that one.

Do buy one you won't regret it, I hope this answers a few of your questions. Tell us a bit more about your new proposed purchase what colour are you going for what extras. How exciting!!

best Curt

No mud flaps are an option but look to be easily added as an aftermarket item if you need them.
"Safety Kit" No or at least I have not found it. There are straps for the tying down of the roof in the event of a failure with the lifting mechanism and, randomly, an adaptor to allow hook up to continental electrical supply but not the hook-up cable itself. There will be the internal front window covers though we went for an external thermal cover from http://www.comfortzleisure.co.uk who also do an excellent topper for the lifting roof, and the mesh screen insert for the side sliding window. There is not a great deal of extras with the Cali but it does mean you kit it out to your taste. The Outwell Collapsible Kettle however is almost an essential and fits in the little sink basin as if it were designed for it.

2. Standard spec indicates that parking heater (with remote) is standard. Dealer it wasn't.
In the Cali SE the parking heater is certainly standard and with a remote, its an excellent bit of kit for the cold months and does make the Cali an all year round joy to use.

Leather is lovely but it'll down to you to know how the can will be used. For us waterproof seat covers were more important for practical reasons.

3. Leather seats get http://www.transcal.co.uk/portfolio?mod_id=219 £1200 you can order them takes a week and they can fit them in a morning stunning quality and great designs. An no I am not on commission

Gave me a price over phone yesterday of £1295 + vat for 2 front seats complete & rear bench seat.
Parcel shelf £100 extra as were each of the door cards.

Trackers are I believe an on going cost with yearly service / membership cost.
As some folk on here say if my cali gets stolen I'm not sure I want it back after some git has taken it for a ride.

I'm glad I've seen your thread ! I've finally decided to opt for leather. My quotation for the full Cali including 5th seat & parcel shelf cusion is coming in at £ 1800. I've been having doubts as a friend seemed to think the van could be done for £700. This sounds too cheap to me .
After seeing the Transcal estimate i feel the price I've been given is average.
Any advice ?

We have been quoted £1200 plus vat for seats including the 5th seat from refitter (Duncan Smith Automotive) recommended by our local VW; we have been sent the swatches which are all labeled Transcal leather.

That sounds like a good price. Does extra detail in the leather I.e ribbing etc increase the price ?

Not sure re extra for detail stitching etc...give them a ring to check.

I've now paid a deposit for my leather interior. Experience tells me it's the right choice. I'm very happy with designs & the service received. The vehicle is booked in mid feb so I will upload some pics when ready.

I've now paid a deposit for my leather interior. Experience tells me it's the right choice. I'm very happy with designs & the service received. The vehicle is booked in mid feb so I will upload some pics when ready.
Interested in how your seats turned out. Any pictures? I'm looking at this too.

Hi

Do you have any pics. I am looking at having this done too.

Thanks

Good grief, I read the thread title and thought that you had, like me, been overnighting somewhere and caught out by an incoming tide!

Safety kit is, flaps not to my knowledge

Auxillary heater remote is standard. An essential piece of kit for making sure the van is all warm and comfy for making that first cup of tea in the morning without having to surface out of the duvet.

Yes. I wish that I had gone for them.

4. Tracker: Any views on benefits or negatives?

If someone nicked Albert would I want it back? The benefits in insurance premiums seems minimal.

5. Premium Bluetooth: Does this allows auto iPhone use. I think so.

I have an RNS510 that takes over the telephone function.

It's an old post, think he got a van last year.

That's right folks! All done. have enjoyed a 1 year already. Just about to renew tax and insurance. Looking forward to season 2. Many thanks for all your help.