Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About to take the plunge

peregrinus

peregrinus

VIP Member
Hello everyone.
I'm nearly finshed with the dithering and about to enter the fray.

Natural Gray
SE 140 manual
black awning
privacy glass
parking sensors F&B
dab radio
safe

I'm not sure about the following options and I'd be grateful for advice. Is it worth the extra?

mudflaps £115 - other than price, what is the difference between the factory fit options and the "add ons" at £37.50 x 2? = 75?

bluetooth £235 - What is the difference between this one and the premium £375 bluetooth?

Multi function steering wheel £195 - If I have dab and standard bluetooth do I need this? Is the standard steering wheel plastic finish or leather?

Is the tyre pressure warning worth £60?

Thanks

Multi function is a good option for future upgrades and it does feel so much better and will cost £700 to get as aftersales vw ... It has Bluetooth ,stereo and computer functions on it .standard is plastic and just a t5 one and not as shaped ...it's a no brainer in my eyes on a vehicle this expensive and looks so much better to .
Bluetooth I cannot comment as I put in after and works through stereo and on the mfsw :)
Mud flaps vw dealer are smaller and screw in from the outside and look cheap on the Cali .. The factory fit are better fitting no screws showing and are wider and slightly deeper worth extra cash ..:)

Tyre pressure warning light .. I would rather have a washer warning light ..
If not spend money on a set of mats

Hope this helps :)

choplee said:
Multi function is a good option for future upgrades and it does feel so much better and will cost £700 to get as aftersales vw ... It has Bluetooth ,stereo and computer functions on it .standard is plastic and just a t5 one and not as shaped ...it's a no brainer in my eyes on a vehicle this expensive and looks so much better to .
Bluetooth I cannot comment as I put in after and works through stereo and on the mfsw :)
Mud flaps vw dealer are smaller and screw in from the outside and look cheap on the Cali .. The factory fit are better fitting no screws showing and are wider and slightly deeper worth extra cash ..:)

Tyre pressure warning light .. I would rather have a washer warning light ..
If not spend money on a set of mats

Hope this helps :)

Agreed with all of this.

Have you not thought about cruise control? or the 5th removable seat - This is a very cheap factory option, that improves the versatility and re-sale of the vehicle, or you could just sell the seat on arrival and double your money!

Good luck with the purchase, they are brilliant vehicles :cool

As Oli says I would go for Cruise & 5th seat. MFSW as Lee says would be useful and factory flaps are much better than accessory.

Tow Bar if you ever think you might need it.

With regards to Bluetooth I've not looked to see what VW are offering this year but generally they offer two variants - UHV or rSAP. UHV works as a normal Bluetooth device and simply passes commands to the phone. rSAP works by totally taking control of the phone and often will have more functionality such as displaying text messages on the dash insert etc.

rSAP is limited to phones that support, most notably not the iPhone.

There are some units such as the ones Lee and I have fitted which support both protocol and this may be defined as Premium but its only a guess I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

looks like we've blown his budget out the water ,but thats what cali owners are for and do best :bananadance ....

All have valid points and someone will fight every accessory or spec in the book even xenons ;) ,but it's just if you can afford it and need it and if you don't get it lets hope it can be retro-fitted at a later date if you really did want it .. :smile

Your option choices are almost identical to ours and we 2 weeks ago, even the colour. The only difference was I ditched the safe for tyre pressure monitors .
I steered clear of Bluetooth as I have had compatibility issues in he past and thought it was a lot of cash if it did not work correctly . Also I change phones more often than vehicles so even if it works now it may not in the future. I am sure there are loads of people that have no issues but once bitten etc. If VW are like Audi updates and fixes are in short supply.

Looking to pick up ours in the first few weeks on Jan .

John

choplee said:
looks like we've blown his budget out the water ,but thats what cali owners are for and do best :bananadance ....

All have valid points and someone will fight every accessory or spec in the book even x***ns ;) ,but it's just if you can afford it and need it and if you don't get it lets hope it can be retro-fitted at a later date if you really did want it .. :smile

View previous threads regarding x***ns :laugh2 :laugh2 :funny

James :)

(worthwhile option though!)

Thanks all,

I have kept the (cheaper) bluetooth in case it works & the safe, have added cruise, mud flaps, leather MFSW and dropped DAB & tyre pressure to help pay. ;-)

I don't like xenons when they are behind me so I'm not encouraging the car industry by buying them. I don't think we will ever use a 5th seat, I don't want to ebay it and at this stage, I can't begin to think of resale values.

p.

[quoteI have kept the (cheaper) bluetooth in case it works & the safe, have added cruise, mud flaps, leather MFSW and dropped DAB & tyre pressure to help pay.][/quote]

Please re-consider the DAB option.
I would be lost without "Planet Rock" and it also "future proofs" your radio reception.
Just think, when you are waiting for the RAC to come and fix your EGR unit or the roof is stuck up, you can flick through all of these DAB channels. ;)
Seriously though, I was very sceptical about the reception quality of the small, door mirror mounted, DAB aerial but I have found very, very few locations where you briefly lose reception.
OK ..... Dartford tunnel is an exception, but it quickly switches to FM!.
Decisions decisions ...... good luck with your accessory budget and your new vehicle.
Bill

Agreed, you'll need DAB when the government switches off analogue radio an sells the freq bands

beardie said:
Agreed, you'll need DAB when the government switches off analogue radio an sells the freq bands

I don't see them doing that for some time yet. Too many vehicles around without DAB.