Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What winds you up about other drivers

Mobile phones in the hand and middle lane drivers.
What really is annoying is driving at 60 or 70 on the motorway in the inside lane and then coming upon someone in the middle lane doing 50. Legally you have to pull out to the outside lane to overtake, but why?
Dual carriageways don't have an overtaking lane as such.

Mobile phones in the hand and middle lane drivers.
What really is annoying is driving at 60 or 70 on the motorway in the inside lane and then coming upon someone in the middle lane doing 50. Legally you have to pull out to the outside lane to overtake, but why?
Dual carriageways don't have an overtaking lane as such.
Not so sure it is illegal to undertake if you are already in the inside lane and haven't moved there specifically for the purpose. That's what I was told by a policeman friend anyway

Uk Gov has this to say.Screen Shot 2015-06-12 at 21.17.01.jpg

So is a Middle Lane hogger = Congestion!!!!!

People that don't move over, when there is no one in the next lane, when you are trying to join a dual carriage way from a slip road.
Then, conversely, when you let someone in by moving over to the next lane, they don't let you back in and you get stuck in the outside lane with the choice of an Audi up your chuff or accelerating to 85mph to get out of the way :headbang

People that take their time whilst at the fuel pump, they then go in to pay and do their weekly shop whilst at it, when they do finally get back in car they take 5 minutes to drive away.

At least in a Cali you can make a nice cup of tea whilst waiting :(

Surely nothing beats an Audi up your chuff followed by a nice cup of tea :veryfunny

Middle lane flids - empty motorway, some brain dead idiot who hasn't a clue what's happening around them. They are also the ones that sit in the outside lane of a dual carriageway for miles because they want eventually to turn right.

Worst though are the idiots that park next to the van when I've found a place miles from anyone else and proceed to put a jealousy ding on the side with their door. We've done 3000 miles in ours since new and this has happened twice now.

Mind you we should know better my wife bought a Saab convertible a few years back and that is covered with dings down the side.

I tend to find poor driving from others more amusing than anything else these days. It just isn't worth getting upset about.

I'm in the same frame of mind here... I used to get wound up by so many things.

Now, perhaps it's an age thing (or driving the bay which tops out at around 65 and takes an age to get there)... I tend to be so much more relaxed and simply find things amusing.

Although I don't drive for a living, I tend to work around 100 miles from home and as such do around 1000 a week. So plenty of entertainment.

I really must get a dash-cam to share the enjoyment

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show... :)

On the Autobahn you don't stay in the outside lane unless doing at least 160 mph.:thumb and there are normally only 2 lanes except near major towns when there is usually a 130kph limit and possibly 3 lanes.

I agree with James that it seems the Cali is perceived to be slow and I find that there is a bit more daft overtaking when I am driving my Cali than in other cars. The good news is that I feel happier and more relaxed in my Cali so it's not a problem!

I have had to pull over to let faster traffic pass on the Autobahn before now when showing 140+ on the speedo (not in the California... Nor on four wheels...)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Three things:-
  1. Those who dislike being overtaken. I am no racing driver, but I will overtake on motorways and A roads when its safe to do so. This seems to incense some people to the extent that I am re-overtaken - then they slow right down again - and so it goes on……I wish to travel faster than you - deal with it..
  2. Phone users. I regularly use three different UK motorways and the number of people with heads slightly dropped gazing at their laps scares me. Especially at motorway speeds. If the law is not going to be enforced then my only hope is Darwin - that these people will self select themselves out of the evolutionary chain - preferably without taking anyone else with them or leaving any bereaved family;
  3. Slammers. Those who are travelling at high speed in the outside lane of the motorway and whilst you have been beetling along in the slow lane queuing to leave the motorway, they suddenly turn the steering wheel , shoot across all three lanes of motorway leaving skid marks everywhere and slam into the braking distance gap you have left between you and the vehicle in front. See earlier point regarding Darwin.
That said, my mantra is 'drive to stay alive' so I try not to get bothered by these things - so long as I get home alive the day has been a good one!

Oh and on the Autobahn I have found that remembering that speck in your rearview or side mirror is not dirt…its a high speed vehicle approaching rapidly!

This could be a very very long thread Kev.

For me it is people who do not drive at a constant speed on the motorway meaning i have to keep resetting the cruise control, also other cali drivers that do not wave back to me !

You need a T6 with adaptive crusie control Martin - I have it on the Golf if you get DSG as well then you can have a little snooze - Then Kev will be moaning about people snooring while driving :)

Everyone on the road irritates me.

how dare they occupy my space when I want to get somewhere. Can't they all wait?

People wearing hats

Ha ha ha. You should visit the singles festival at Lisdoonvarna (we just happened to be doing a navigation rally at the same time that's was on, honest) in the main hotel there are loads of signs saying "No hats". The no hat rule is strictly enforced. Apparently unscrupulous singles used to attend with hats with signs on, detailing how many acres their farm had how many combine harvesters etc. it gave them an unfair advantage! I've visited some challenging environments but Lisdoonvarna when the singles are Slitherin' has been one of the most disturbing. :cool:

People with 'except me' number plates….
Speed limits apply - except to me
Red lights apply - except to me
Minimum braking distances apply - except to me

You get the idea!

Why the place never stop them I don't know - I guess either the number plates are cloned or simply they don't care - but thats why they should be pulled over!

My latest rant is toll booths in the south of Europe.

I am happy to pay €20 for 200 miles of 130km/h motoring, but what really winds me up is a 4km queue at the end of the AutoRoute or AutoStrada to pay your toll. Kind of completely defeats the point of paying.

Appears to be a problem for southern Europe in the summer.

In this country motorists seem to be incapable of dealing properly with overtaking cyclists. Had several near misses with people just pulling out into the middle of the road irrespective of what is coming the opposite way.

Also why don't people indicate, but instead leave you waiting there like a lemon. When it happens to them don't why doesn't it resonate?

Back