Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What other sports/activities do you guys enjoy?

VW Cali

VW Cali

Guest User
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Given that Cali ownership is all about being "outdoorsy" (word not in OED) wondered what other sports/activities people here enjoy.

Hiking, biking, sailing, golf etc? Keen to hear it all.

Start off with my somewhat mixed/uneven baggage and experience.

It was cricket initially, at decent level, decades back. But decided to go to US for college (university) which ended the cricket. Took up tennis one summer oandut of sheer boredom at least at club/college level found it very easy after cricket, but missing some element that attracted me to cricket. Physical danger was one element I missed, and also that the ball moves much slower than in cricket. Its more a game of movement than of reflexes.

Generally ball games with fast moving balls are relatively easy games for me. Table tennis came easily too.

Racquets of course is different to tennis in speed. Ball moves fast, and tad harder too. Unfortunately never really played it.

Played tennis very sporadically after leaving the US. Not easy to play when you live next to Royal Albert Hall and work 70 to 100 hour weeks every week for years.

Took up running and loved it, primarily because of how magnificent place Kensington Gardens really is. I could run 10k in 40 minutes before work put paid to fitness. Plus as I moved further from Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park discovered that it was not running I loved as much as those wonderful parks.

Tried hard to like golf, and could probably play and improve but find it very slow and boring.

Took up tennis again after retiring early a few years ago, but heart not in it. Still have the big shots but the eye no longer sees the ball as it used to and movement is laboured. There are good days though, but the range from poor to good is rather too wide, with poor my default form.

Some days it comes back and a few aces and passing shots appear from nowhere. Sadly, always seem to disappear next appearance in court.

In sport, I like playing to high standard rather than playing to win. In fact would prefer to lose every match long as it hard and challenging as opposed to easier wins. Noticed though that oldies at my club seem to play mostly for the opposite motivation.

For some reason, love boxing. As I have grown older can no longer deny that it shouldn't be allowed. Nevertheless once you put on the gloves nothing engages mind, lungs, heart as much as boxing does. Closest that came to it was facing fast bowlers without helmet at Lords indoor nets and asking them to try and knock your head off. Because they come in one after the other it was more intensive than say when someone bounced you at the Oval in the middle.

But batting came easily to me. Boxing I have so much respect for.

Because of an injury in 2009 had to do some strength training. Always thought it was somewhat for the vain...unfair though the thought was.

But it reaped unexpected benefits. A few years ago a visible 6 pack arrived that I hadn't seen in 2 decades, plus can do 10 full chinups, lift 120kg etc, do 40 push ups etc. Plus stamina good too - cam keep going high intensity workouts for an hour.

But that is fitness, not sport....

Tad back into hiking now, and want to do mountaineering. Something that challenges physically, intellectually, and engages all senses and emotions simultaneously l...

Mountain bike has not been used much since it was bought.

Wanderlust for 7 plus years has been huge, but with young children there are obligations and responsibilities first.

Ideal holiday would be tough physical challenge during day, and falling asleep in Cali to one of 279 unread/partially read books on my Kindle.

Oh, and to help those less lucky than this lucky loser. So far most initiatives have come to naught through nothing but lack of persistence.

Strongly believe that if kids from disadvantaged backgrounds had access to more sport and outdoors would do wonders at both individual and social level. Maybe one day can do tad more to help.

Mountains were always my great love, but I no longer climb.

My running shoes always travel with me.

My bicycle is often used for a terribly elegant and genteel ride around the flat roads of the West Sussex coast. She is called Geraldine, A Pashley sovereign princess in Regency green. Syd Barrett once wrote a song that could well have been about her. It's got a basket, a bell that rings and things to make it look good.

Mountains were always my great love, but I no longer climb.

My running shoes always travel with me.

My bicycle is often used for a terribly elegant and genteel ride around the flat roads of the West Sussex coast. She is called Geraldine, A Pashley sovereign princess in Regency green. Syd Barrett once wrote a song that could well have been about her. It's got a basket, a bell that rings and things to make it look good.

"A big thumbs up emoji"

Mr Speleo is as the name suggests a caver, to be found at times down in the depths of the mendips,South Wales and Yorkshire. Also a avid hill walker and kayaker ( not a the same time!). Can also be found cycling. Mrs Speleo will walk a hill and cycles, in training for ride the night 100k overnight ride in May for cancer. Happy to abseil down anything and wanting to do a parachute jump, having paraglided over the Alps this summer at Kandersteg. Also a Guide leader so any activity the Guides are expected to do I will also do!

Kitesurfing (a lot) and mountain biking (not that much).

And we often bring the bikes just to be mobile when the cali is camped. Last weekend we drove 40 km around the Danish island Samsø. Sometimes I bring my electric skateboard for the same reason.

Our latest investment, is a small compact inflatable boat with an electric engine. Takes a few minutes to get all up and running, and we use it for small relaxing trips around the waters where we camp. Splendid for visiting the bay or beach "next door". Going up a canal og small river - or just float around with a glas of wine … well not much sport – but still counts as an outdoor activity I hope ;-)

I imagine we will also use the cali for cross country skiing this (our first) winter … if we get sufficient snow.

Mountainbiking (a lot and the house is full of bikes); windsurfing when the wind cooperates; running (used to run a lot but the biking took over and now lower leg injuries plague me when I try to push the running)

Canoeing and cycling but not as often as I would like. I get distracted by chores in the garden!

Confirming the alternative "outdoorsy" rather than "old fart" theory here..

Sailing (a lot), MTB & surfing.

We have a Sport Commission over here that is part charity, part state-funded, which runs various programmes (eg; street basketball / football leagues) for kids from disadvantaged backgrounds. Has been running a few years, seems to work well and is something we've actively supported before.

Sailing (a lot), MTB & surfing.

We have a Sport Commission over here that is part charity, part state-funded, which runs various programmes (eg; street basketball / football leagues) for kids from disadvantaged backgrounds. Has been running a few years, seems to work well and is something we've actively supported before.

Brilliant!

The kind of thing I'd like to sponsor/help with locally.

When I made a suggestion to the local tennis club with 22 courts that we consider getting kids from disadvantaged backgrounds access and coaching the suggestion was not well received.

Kids deserve so much more than just the accident of birth.

Cycling is my main sport (might guess that from the Avatar anyway). Mostly road but also enjoy the XC and adventure side of mountainbiking. Got into running about 10 years ago and then triathlon. Preference towards the trail running and open water swimming side of these sports.
Also used to do a fair amount of sailing and windsurfing but less so now. Actually at the moment I'm not able to do any of the above as lower leg and foot is in plaster after a crash on the windsurfer tearing ligaments in my midfoot :(. Six weeks so far and at least another 4 to go before they let me put any weight on it. (should have bought a DSG gearbox).

Cycling is my main sport (might guess that from the Avatar anyway). Mostly road but also enjoy the XC and adventure side of mountainbiking. Got into running about 10 years ago and then triathlon. Preference towards the trail running and open water swimming side of these sports.
Also used to do a fair amount of sailing and windsurfing but less so now. Actually at the moment I'm not able to do any of the above as lower leg and foot is in plaster after a crash on the windsurfer tearing ligaments in my midfoot :(. Six weeks so far and at least another 4 to go before they let me put any weight on it. (should have bought a DSG gearbox).

Oops. I had something similar to your injury 7 years ago (actually worse) and it is worse than it sounds.

Doing your rehab will be very important. Part of it eill involve rolling and trying to wedge tennis balls in the arch of your foot.

Mine never recovered, and foot somewhat deformed not visibly but enough to require orthotics and cause other issues.

Good luck and be careful.

Hashing (Hash House Harriers) usually a couple of times a week, with campouts and national and international events. Gets us out and about. Had a go recently at mountain biking with a local (and very good) club but think might be to old to develop the skills or recover from the inevitable injuries.

Sliding down mountains. I just love it and this winter I'm hoping to do some ski-camping in the Cali.

Another kitesurfer here! Mountain bikes, longboard (skate) & an inflatable kayak also accompany us on our trips too :thumb

As my Avatar suggests, I go up to Snowdonia a lot and work on a Heritage railway up there. I work on one of the track gangs and get to carry heavy bits of metal through amazing scenery in all sorts of weather.
I used to do a lot of hill walking but that is reduced following a knee operation.
Recently retired, I'm now spending more time up there and find the Cali a fantastic base to come back to after working outdoors all day.

Am i the only non-sporter on here?
We just like to (dog)walk , specialy on trips , just done 10 km today.

I go out on my motorbike (Triumph Tiger 800 at present) or go green roading in my Landrover Defender that I have had for 15 years.
I have always been a petrol-head. I could tell what car was coming towards me from behind at the age of 7, just from the sound of it, much to my parents amazement. If I won the lotto, I would probably buy a warehouse and fill it with my dream cars; I know, that would be very selfish.

Rock climbing, hiking and generally chilling with a glass of wine. Love skiing too but prefer a hotel for that holiday.

787a7a3ccac677436144c0ed5bb60a9e.jpg

I like hiking&mtb, skiing and snowboarding and I tried to surf a SUP this summer. Tried. Hahaha:
91fb4a3243dc44f85fd52cd4a2ea891c.jpg

And now I am tempted do buy one..I also
do some Pilates to stay smooth (indoors).

...I tried to surf a SUP this summer. Tried. Hahaha (next pic is me falling :)

Am i the only non-sporter on here?
We just like to (dog)walk , specialy on trips , just done 10 km today.

Feeling a bit inadequate here!
Love walking, nordic walking and doing classes at the gym.
Oh and my other hobby which is where I have been tonight is.....drum roll....belly dancing!
Just don't ask me for a demo at club meets, unless you give me a few glasses of wine first that is lol.

Back