Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What was your first VW?

Original paint 1953 RHD double door 23 window samba... it was passed down in our family .....

Perfect view of the air show at farnborough. Finally died of lack of oil and seized engine. Replaced with a beetle and then a 6volt splitty followed by a beetle, polo, touran, and now t6 cali. The original van did many trips to croyde bay with tea towels for curtains and a matress in the back, floor was so rotten you could watch the road go by between your legs while driving and you could drive down the M3 with the side door open, such fun and I'm still alive.

9A16F55F-B397-4E04-836A-7C3DAD8AC2E8.jpeg

A 1968 VW Beetle 1300, colour Maroon. Registration number LRD 91F (if anyone still has it. Unlikely). For cricket enthusiasts the previous and 1st owner was Pat Pocock (England and Surrey).
I knew it was time to get rid of it when after a long drive discovered my nostrils were caked in soot. Apparently the ‘baffles’ had gone on the exhaust which provided the p@#*-poor heating and I had been breathing exhaust fumes for hours. Great car though.

Last edited:
Perfect view of the air show at farnborough. Finally died of lack of oil and seized engine. Replaced with a beetle and then a 6volt splitty followed by a beetle, polo, touran, and now t6 cali. The original van did many trips to croyde bay with tea towels for curtains and a matress in the back, floor was so rotten you could watch the road go by between your legs while driving and you could drive down the M3 with the side door open, such fun and I'm still alive.

View attachment 75833
just found these photos of previous vws

5B530B67-F357-4027-B824-2194E058FAC8.jpeg

863CA579-DAD7-49DA-BC66-9D23C7DD9A4B.jpeg

Golf GTI Mk2 1990 big bumper - I bought it in 93, passed it on to my father after a few years and he eventually sold it only last year. Loved that car :)

Golf GTI Mk2 1990 big bumper - I bought it in 93, passed it on to my father after a few years and he eventually sold it only last year. Loved that car :)
I had a red GTI MK 2 1988 I think, had it when she was 10-20 years old, fantastic car completely unmodified. I put it on autotrader for £400, a boy racer type drove 2 hours and bought her straight away, zoomed off into the sunset. My phone didn't stopped ringing with collector type people wanting her, I was gutted, i had no idea what a desirable car she was :(

mine was lhasa green metalic loved it also owned 3 more mk1"s and a vr6 mk 2

1971 Sky Blue Beetle 1302S.

Purchased it in 1973, for some inexplicable reason I traded it in for an Austin Maxi.

1969 Vw beetle,83 mk1 gti ,first camper was a t2 71 bay window

silver Mk1 VW Golf 1600LS
Inner wings rusted through ... VW scrapped the car and gave me an allowance to replace it with a new VW .... got a Mars Red Mk1 VW Golf GTi .... which I sadly sold a number of years later :(

No other Passat owners? I loved those cars (apart from the understeer which turned into oversteer on long fast bends)!

Mk4 Golf 1.6SE. Good looker at the time if a bit overweight.

Bora followed. 2.0 Tdi. 130bhp. Brilliant little runner. 60mpg easily done. Such an easy drive. One of my wifes favs.

My first VW was actually my first car. Brand new VW 1303S in 1974. Here it is (and me) at Interlaken Station.

View attachment 77743
The 1303 - is that the one with the curved windscreen? My grandmother always had Beetles when I was little, and I always thought I’d have one as my first car but finances didn’t allow. I loved the curved screen of her last one and am sure it was a 1303; happy memories.

The 1303 - is that the one with the curved windscreen? My grandmother always had Beetles when I was little, and I always thought I’d have one as my first car but finances didn’t allow. I loved the curved screen of her last one and am sure it was a 1303; happy memories.
Yes that’s right @Dr-Snickers , curved windscreen. Loved that car.
I seem to remember it was about £1,200.00 brand new, and my wages were about £70 per week. How times change - Cali £74k and wages £0 :)

Yes that’s right @Dr-Snickers , curved windscreen. Loved that car.
I seem to remember it was about £1,200.00 brand new, and my wages were about £70 per week. How times change - Cali £74k and wages £0 :)
you get a bit more tech and comfort with the Cali :cheers

your styling it out in those aviators :Stig #skinny / jeans:Iamsorry

1984 Mk1 Golf GTI. 2nd gen 1600cc motor. Whata great little runaround that was. Probably the one vehicle I've owned that's stuck in my memory. I was living in Italy at the time so maybe that has something to do with it.

Back