Days out

Days out

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
My Cars - 00427.jpg

My Cars - 00426.jpg
For fun, what was your first vee-dub?

California or other?

This was mine. A VW beetle 2.0 petrol with cream leather interior. Photos were taken back in the days when I had to sleep in a "tent". This was Three Cliffs campsite on The Gower. Also pre-kids! The boot as anyone who has owned one of these is practically non-existent! Can't remember now how I fitted all the camping stuff in!

My Cars - 00434.jpg

Then I also had a rag top version as well. That had an even more amazingly tiny boot.

First one on the way. It could be many peoples last the way they seem to hate VW ;-)

Had a 1300s beetle I bought from my dad.. One Christmas went for some Christmas shopping .. Back seat was full if the usual, food drink and a couple of presents.. Then as we were heading to the next shop.. A smell of burning from under the rear seat , and then the battery caught fire. More worried about the shopping as that was worth more than the car ..

Golf VR6 Highline in purple violet with blackberry leather interior. Oh how I loved that car! Sold it only when dogs and children meant that I needed more space and cried when it left. Bitterly regret selling it, especially as the idiot who bought it crashed it shortly after :(

Mk1 golf GTI. Bought it at 3 years old from believe it or not an undertaker. I was dead lucky
Went to view it and he had it in triple garage with two hearses. Did the deal in a heartbeat and kept it for 12 years. Went beautifully and rubbish brakes kept me sensible. Lovely!

Mike

Mk1 golf GTI. Bought it at 3 years old from believe it or not an undertaker. I was dead lucky
Went to view it and he had it in triple garage with two hearses. Did the deal in a heartbeat and kept it for 12 years. Went beautifully and rubbish brakes kept me sensible. Lovely!

Mike

How much hearsepower did it have?

Sorry :sad

Been a long day .....

Went like hearsesh*t off a shovel

Very long day

Mike

Mike
Wow you were driving at three ! ;)

Guess that would be a ......2012 California SE ......:D

Same as you Mike, white Mk1 Golf Gti. I think it's strength saved my life in a very bad non fault crash, walked away from a mangled wreck :(

Funny. We were just discussing Mk1 Gti brakes yesterday.
Right hand drive units with the bake master cylinder still on the left and connected to the brake pedal via a torsion bar!

Not ideal was it!

Still, at least my big ends failed before I crashed it.

A mid 80's Golf GL, hand painted black, with three wide wheels (the owner swore he would deliver the fourth, but it never turned up!) and a lightly moulding interior.

Since then, have had a '78 bay-window camper, a cal-looked '76 beetle, a recent Polo, and a '91 T4 Westy.

13312626_10154190282087716_2247978844814445934_n.jpg

My first VW was a homebuilt camper based on T2 (no elevated roof). We had fun with it for a year, touring Sweden and Finland the summer of 1991.

VW Polo GTI - only had it a year before moving on to it's big brother, the Golf GTI 1.8T. Both good fun cars in my early twenties.IMG_2140.JPG

Another Mk1 GTI owner, mine was black with black go faster stripes, so cool! No brakes though, rock hard ride and horrendous torque-steer made me swap it, three tears later, for a Mk2 which was more civilised but less charismatic. Wish I'd kept it!

My Cars - 00437.jpg
VW Polo GTI - only had it a year before moving on to it's big brother, the Golf GTI 1.8T. Both good fun cars in my early twenties.View attachment 16875

My first Golf was a mk4 GTi 1.8T. Nice car but not as good as the mk5. I had. Managed to get one of the first mk5 GTI in the country. Everyone liked that car. One snowy morning someone even wrote on the bonnet how much they loved it!

Mk 1 golf gti for me 1979 1.6 4 speed with the round clocks in green loved it i do have a picture somewhere i was 22
I also had a brief spell with a lhd golf rabbit

1977 VW Polo Mark 1 in lime green for me... 895cc of pure power! :)

1961'ish split screen. 1200cc. Lower parts orange and upper parts white. £175

Used to get high on exhaust fumes from the heater. :confused:

Parked it at the side of the house which shared boundaries with 2 or 3 neighbours. They complained it was an eyesore, so I hand painted the orange bits green!

Sold it for same price I bought it and "upgraded" to a 1970 Bay, a Dormobile D4/6. This had a novel cooker which folded up behind the passenger seat. At night condensation used to drip on us from the PVC bellows in the roof. Or maybe it was rain ...:D

Dinky Beetle in the 1960s and a Matchbox camper
But dad had a real beetle after he sold his split screen camper.

Last edited:
Do Bentleys, Bugattis, Lamborghini, Audi, Skoda, Seat also count as VWs?

Golf VR6 Highline in purple violet with blackberry leather interior. Oh how I loved that car! Sold it only when dogs and children meant that I needed more space and cried when it left. Bitterly regret selling it, especially as the idiot who bought it crashed it shortly after :(

Sorry about the car. What happened to the idiot? Survived, chastened, blamed the European car manufacturers, or women who sell on and get sensible cars?

Everybody I know loves a Golf GTI or R32 no matter their political persuasion. Actually more so if they are to the right of the political spectrum...

Back