Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What was your first VW?

Golf GTI Mk2 Big Bumper G342RRR...loved it

The first was 1964 1200cc Beetle, bought November 1968, sold 1970 or 71. Got bitten by the 'bug' and been afflicted ever since,.

As well as the current T5 we also have a 1946 Beetle which is being restored to as near original as possible. If the dream comes true it will be at Stanford Hall next year!

Owner a few other VWs along the way including some Transporters....

A Karmann Ghia 1500 Coupe. Bought in 1980 for £425! Wish I still had it. WGY619G if anyone has seen it.
Also had 3 Mk2 Golf GTIs one 8v, one 8v with GTI Engineering conversion, and one 16v, and a Corrado VR6, all of which were many moons ago but all were excellent cars in their day.

never rated the reliability of VW, had to have my arm twisted to buy this. Really glad I did, best vehicle I have owned 20150919_141646.jpg

A Mark1 Golf C around 1980, followed by Mark II Golf L, a Jetta, Passat GT, Passat GL, Polo C, a Mark III black GTI Golf, silver GTI Golf, then bizarrely... two Citroen Berlingos with rear seats removed which became our first camping cars, followed by the 'Van Rouge' Cali SE, best of the lot!

I had an old brown Passat about 30 years ago, my husband liked it so much he bought an old blue Passat estate that went like the proverbial brown stuff. Then the gearbox failed on the original one so I took over the blue one (yay!) and Mike bought a red automatic estate that was missing a door and a wheel. The dead brown one supplied those and we were both on the road again. We always meant to respray that brown door to match.........

Depends on the age of the Bentley, Lambo, Bugatti etc. If you have a 1929 Bentley Speed Six then no... :)

I've never had a Bugatti, 1929 Speed Six or newer!

Mk3 Golf GTI 8v, then Mk2 Golf GTI 8v, then VW Corrado, then Mk3 Golf GTI 8v again, then Polo G40, then Mk2 Golf GTI 16v, then Mk 7 Golf R (stolen with My Audi A6 Quattro - both under 6 months old). Replaced the Golf R with the Cali. I do like my V'Dubz....

I must say I'm by no means a VW 'fan' - have an irrational dislike of them much of the time and I think the Beetle is probably the most unappealing car I know ;) but in thirty years driving and twenty five odd vehicles I do seem to have owned a few VW's:

1979 Polo.
1990 T25 Leisuredrive Daytime conversion camper.
1998 T4 - self (me) converted camper.
1991 T25 German import Westfalia California camper.
2013 California Beach.

I had a mk2 Golf in white, good car, broken into a lot thanks to those badly designed door handles :) Lost about 5 stereos from that thing before I gave up replacing them.

My second VW was in 2012/13 a 1985 T25 :D

Black 1965 1200cc Beetle. Owned from 1975 to 1980, by which time it have covered 120k miles and had quietly rusted away.
As with modern VWs, my lasting memory is generally reliable, fun to drive, but really expensive to repair (little changes over time).
It took me nearly 40 years to come back into the VW fold.

VR6 Highline in purple violet with blackberry leather interior. Loved that car - best one I've ever had. Sadly with two children and three dogs it was just not practical. The idiot I sold it to wrote it off. Wish I had kept it.

I remember the first time.
72 Marathon Beetle, looked sexy but no good
for getting your leg over in the back.
images-186.jpegimages-185.jpeg
So i moved on.

VR6 Highline in purple violet with blackberry leather interior. Loved that car - best one I've ever had. Sadly with two children and three dogs it was just not practical. The idiot I sold it to wrote it off. Wish I had kept it.
Was that a Golf? Sounds like an amazing colour scheme.
My mate had a Golf VR6 - I envied it every time he gave me a lift home

I remember the first time.
72 Marathon Beetle, looked sexy but no good
for getting your leg over in the back.
View attachment 75818View attachment 75819
So i moved on.
911 wheels? :thumb

1954 oval window Beetle which I bought in 1975 for £50. Car was older than me. It had Porsche stamped on the engine and a single outlet exhaust unlike the later twin tail pipes.

1st VW was a Y reg Scirocco which was missing 1st and 3rd gears. Iirc it had LEDs on the dash which were high tech back then!

2nd was the air cooled 2000cc T3 in profile pic. Bought for 500 quid while drunk on eBay. Moved to Spain in it in 2008 with all my worldly possessions and three cats.
Couldn’t register it here because of homologation headaches and it eventually got towed and crushed, thankfully without cats inside! Obviously, given prices these days I regret that somewhat…

Mk1 GTI, which was my third car, late 90s. Was originally a 1600, but a previous owner had badly fitted an 1800. The car was an absolute wreck when I got it, including a single wiper conversion and a furry dashboard. Fitted a new dash etc, but was still a mess. Ended up getting traded for a 1990 XR2i.

Screenshot_20210327-174501_Gallery.jpg

It was my first car, a gold polo estate, reg. X360UPF, with a lovely brown interior....lush! I used to joke it didn’t need an alarm because no one would ever steal a car that colour!

A 1980 Mark 1 Golf diesel in Kermit green. A tractor was more refined but I loved it! Next was a new Mark 4 Golf V5 in 2000.

Back