Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What mods to do whilst the van isn't moving.

Interesting. I have never really been that happy with rear suspension on my t5.1 but equally not wanted to go down the lowering route. I doubt they would take the cali over 2m as it starts at 1.96, i suspect has more than 300kg of kit and also potentially has stiffer springs than converted panel vans to start with. I wonder how different they are to a t32 spring which would be a cheaper way of doing it.
I’d considered that too and managed to pick up some springs for £30 off a T32 that had covered 8000 miles. Fitted them myself today...relatively easy and would have been easier with a longer trolley jack but I managed by lifting it off levelling ramps with a block of wood between my little trolley jack and the outer end of the anti roll bar. My son was luckily on hand to stand on the pole to force the wishbone down whilst I manoeuvred the spring out and in.

It doesn’t look so down on its bum now and the sparesafe doesn’t catch the drive when turning right. The ride seems the same, so hopefully a good job done.

18B64FC6-3AB5-40EE-8765-58149FB3F47E.jpeg

Last edited:
Been thinking about a set of these as ours always looks quite low at the rear despite only being 18m old and unladen. They look quite easy to fit...has anyone done it and what was the result. My only concern is going over 2m.

The body sheet metal rear wheel arches are stamped lower than the front ones, so when the van is level there will be a smaller tire to-body gap in the rear than in the front. If you try to make the gaps front and back equal, you will have to jack the van's rear up in the air, not a good look in my opinion.

It doesn’t look so down on its bum now and the sparesafe doesn’t catch the drive when turning right. The ride seems the same, so hopefully a good job done.

Nice work. Would love to see a picture of it with the improved rear ride height. I went as far as ordering some new rear springs & shocks from eBay but they didn't turn up. Do you know the part number of the springs you used and how many coloured stripes they were marked with? Having changed the springs do you think it would have been easy enough to do the shocks as well?

Back