Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towing electrics

L

Leigh and Lucy

Need help solving an electrical problem with the towing electrics.
Have a trailer with 7 pin plug and Cali with 13 pin so we bought the 13 pin to 7 adaptor but the electrics do not work at all. However, the trailer lights all work perfectly connected to two different cars which have 7 pin sockets. Assumed it was either the Cali electrics or the adaptor, however, Cali works connected to 13 pin caravan and to the VW garage's 7 pin tester board with the adaptor. Have now tried 4 different adaptors with Cali and the trailer none of which work. Also tried the trailer with another 13 pin car and that does not work!

So in summary 7 pin to 7 pin works (i.e. not our Cali), 13 pin to 13 pin works (i.e. our Cali connected to 13 pin trailers) but 13 pin to 7 pin with adaptors does not work. Any idea why and how to solve this? VW not prepared to get involved as their tester board works fine, which in fairness is understandable.

Have you looked on towing trailers websites, i had a similar problem with my thule bike rack, it was incorrectly wired, found loads of info including wiring diagrams on google.

If "7 pin to 7 pin works, 13 pin to 13 pin works" then it looks like the 7-13 pin converter is duff - can you borrow one to try? (or try a squirt of WD40 on your current converter, sometimes a single bad connection can cause mahem with trailer electrics)

T

I've got an adapter that I know works. Where abouts are you?

That said, they're only a couple of quid and you'd probably be better off getting a new 13 pin lighting board!