Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towing electrics.

Hi Stu , I do not think there is anything wrong, but just wanted clarification as to what I see on the screen is correct .

Ahh, OK - Sorry I'm not fortunate enough to have a reversing cam :censor

Hi stu . A update for you, towing electrics all sorted now, apparently all cali's from 2012 have been fitted with Vw pre wiring kit, so when the tow bar fitter fitted the right connections kit ( totally rubbish IMO) it would not operate properly although it did not show on electronic checks all ok, now have fully fitted vw spec everything works as it should, further more Vw technician explained everything hope fully happy days ahead, thanks for your input re my probs :thanks ;) :D

Excellent. I'm please you got it sorted in the end.

I think I said before I have some experience of the 'Right Connections' wiring kits. Never again. :censor

california kid said:
apparently all cali's from 2012 have been fitted with Vw pre wiring kit,

Not sure how true that is - it is still an option in the brochure?

california kid said:
Hi stu . A update for you, towing electrics all sorted now, apparently all cali's from 2012 have been fitted with Vw pre wiring kit, so when the tow bar fitter fitted the right connections kit ( totally rubbish IMO) it would not operate properly although it did not show on electronic checks all ok, now have fully fitted vw spec everything works as it should, further more Vw technician explained everything hope fully happy days ahead, thanks for your input re my probs :thanks ;) :D

Does that mean that the wires are in place front to back terminating somewhere behind the rear bumper and all that is needed is a short connection piece from the new 13 pin connected to this termination?

Hi Historybob, I believe so mine was wired up originally with the wires ending up by the battery under bonnet with a trailer module relay , the Vw tech guy informed me he had taked everything off because it was causing conflict with the Cali's electronics. That is when he told all Cali's from 2012 are fitted with wiring in please for easier fitment of electrics if needed. Hope this helps with your question .

Thanks California Kid. I wish I'd known this back in April. It would have saved a lot of aggravation with my fitter not to say also saving the expense of buying a wiring loom.
You win some etc
Have fun.

Sorry to drag this thread up again. I'm picking up our 2014 Cali on Saturday and interested to read above that all calis from 2012 have towbar prep? I did ask our dealer if it had this but they say no. I guess I'll just have to wait till I get it and have a look myself.

I know to look at the sticker under the seat but also, how can I physically check on the van. I presume I need to remove some trip on the back to get to the connections?

Mark

Also, if I do decide to fit the towbar and electrics myself, how would I handle getting the car coded. Will VW do it if I've done a DIY job? Will they charge me a fortune?

Mark

Hi Helmguy, I can only give you my own experience re the electrics on our 2014 Cali was as follows, no problem with tow bar itself, detachable westfalia . Our probs started when the tow bar fitter, placed all the electrics to finish under the bonnet with a trailer module in the connections, further more when the electrics were connected to our caravan the reverse sensors would not switch off automatically, also the rear fog light would also stay on therefore giving red glow on the caravan, we also have the 510 head unit radio so when connections made to the caravan it should show a picture of the Cali with an a frame outline to show everything is connected , in our case it would flash then dissapear , when we contacted our dealership they did get there vw electric wizard to sought things out. It was then I was informed all Cali's from 2012 were fitted with electrics for more convenient connections, also the Cali has a very sophisticated electronic system, so if the electrics are not fitted correctly it can lead to rear brake problems, my advice get proper vw electrics if possible have them fitted by someone who understands the system on california's. Further more our connections for fuses are under the passengers seat, since having our fitted properly everything works as it should . Hope this helps . It did take a few trips to our dealership to sought things out but worth it . Good look . :D

See I'm getting conflicting advise at present with some saying the tow bar prep is on all Cali's from 2012 on which seems to match with details on pfjones. However dealer insists our 2014 won't have the prep and I can see it's an optional extra in the broucher on new calis.

I could be wrong but I cannot see VW throwing in a complete wiring loom etc, free and gratis, on every California unless someone specifically asks for it and pays for it. The accountants would have a fit.
The VW Towbar loom is a significant piece of kit. Unless of course it is more cost effective to make just 1 loom to include the towbar wiring and what you are actually paying for when ordering the Towbar/Towbar prep , besides the actual Towbar, is the reprogramming of the vehicle computers.

As it's a paid option on new Cali's I doubt its included for free. If it was it's a bit sneaky charging for it an an option ;-)

Assuming that's the case I just have to decide whether to install the full wiring kit myself. The fitters I've contacted so far only want to fit universal kits I guess because of the complexity of removing seats etc. I'm a little worried about doing it myself but sure I could do it and not in a rush so could take my time. The main issue I'd have is re coding the car once fitted.

I would also be interested in knowing if new Calis come with partial loom. I also have a 2014 SE and have been put off fitting towbar assuming you need to install loom, pull out interior etc. I have previously fitted Westfalia towbar to a Touran with aftermarket electrics and the job was simple with the exception of running a power cable to the fusebox, resulting in some minor damage to trim. I would have a look for the existence of a loom, but van is currently with bodyshop, to replace failed roof hydraulics, but that's another story.

Westphalia have designed a loom that goes under the van, so the interior trim does not need to be removed. The loom comes up through a hole under passenger seat then goes under carpet & driver seat then up under dash, where you use supplied 'piggyback' connections to connect to relevant looms. Only need to remove both front seats & handbrake.

Both this loom & actual bar are available from http://www.pfjones.co.uk they are the best priced & have a technical phone line for diy assistance. Cost is around ÂŁ320.
Several of us have bought from them & fitted ourselves. They do have a network of fitters across the country
As for coding, there are several members with VCDS who maybe able to do this for you. Or dealers should charge about half hour labour.

Do not fit third party universal wiring. This will probably end up killing your rear brakes if you tow any weight.

Search the forum for more info & part numbers.

Thanks. Seriously thinking of having a go at fitting myself. The coding was the only thing putting me off.

Coding is the easiest bit :) There are quite a few of us on here with VCDS, so when you are ready to do the deed then let us know, there will be someone nearby.

Wow that would be great. What the kits cost by the way? Sort of thing I'd be interested in getting at some stage.

Right, I'm about to go order the parts for PFJones to fit this myself. I did have a couple of questions that someone might be able to help with.

The instructions online are picture only without any words. Is that what you get in the kit? I can sort of understand from the photos and will probably make more sense when doing the work but some explanatory words might be nice ;-)

If I fit the electrics as per the instructions but don't get around to doing the coding for a while will things still work? I mean will all the van's normal lighting etc. work ok? Would the towing electric lights work ok or not until the coding is done?

Cheers,

Mark

Yep - the Ikea multilingual instructions are the ones you get in the box. When it comes to the wiring bits I was fine it all makes sense. I did struggle a bit with some of the more physical bits like removing the bumper, the Westphalia instructions are a bit vague, but in those instances YouTube will be your friend just search for T5 bumper removal and there are a few videos for inspiration.

You will spend a good bit of time removing the plastic protective covers under the van, and I found it more comfortable to jack up one side of the van and put it on axel stands, but I am a bit of a lump!

Final thing is removing the light switch from the dash board isn't necessarily obvious from the picture, but you push in the turney switch thing and then the whole switch pulls out of the dashboard - very funky. Again youtube is your friend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjyrcwYyiVA - if yours is like mine it has about a million more wires than the one on the video - but the principle is the same.

On the coding thing - I haven't tried it, but my hunch would be that the van would work correctly, and I also suspect that most of the towing wiring would work correctly, but it will be some of the subtle stuff that wouldn't work, like the reversing sensors turning off, and the ABS setting changing, so I wouldn't use it until the coding is done.

Let us know if my hunch is correct.

T

Back