Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towing electrics.

That was my hunch too - that only the electronic bits like sensors etc. won't work before coding.

I do have another question. I think I'd actually prefer to fit a permanent tow ball rather than the standard detachable one but is it worth spending the extra £75 for the detachable one anyway, even if I just leave it attached?

Mark

The only question is if the fixed ball would interact with the rear parking sensors (it is the plugging in of electrics that disable the sensors).

I have heard of people who say that leaving in the detachable ball doesn't set the sensors off, so if that is the case then getting a fixed swan neck one would be cool.

Fitting a removable one might lead a potential buyer to think that it was a factory fitted towbar :eek:

I had parking sensors and a fixed, flange towbar on my old car with no problems but guess it depends on the position of the sensors on the cali.

Would be good if someone on here has a fixed towball and knows if it'll get in the way of the sensors?

helmguy said:
I had parking sensors and a fixed, flange towbar on my old car with no problems but guess it depends on the position of the sensors on the cali.

Would be good if someone on here has a fixed towball and knows if it'll get in the way of the sensors?

Mine came with a fixed bar and the sensors are temperamental in the summer but not this time of the year. The Westfalia guys at the show in October said the bumper plastic expands in the summer moving the sensors up a little. The centre ones then tend to 'see' the ball. Doesn't happen in the winter so they must be right.
Our wiring isn't the proper VW one so that may also be an issue.

One advantage is if you get shunted in traffic. Happened to me in the summer and the car came of much worse! The van didn't get a scratch.

Alan

Thats one of the reasons I wanted a fixed one. In my old land rover a car hit me from behind and hardly scratched my car but the one behind was written off ;-)

The car did end up with a smashed bumper, number plate and a dent in the radiator once I pulled away.

Initially my heart sank, as we were booked on the Poole ferry the following day, but carried on with a light heart.

Some times lady luck is smiling at you! :thumb

Just wondering how this all ended chaps! I pick up my 2014 tomorrow and have been doing some homework on towbar self fit, so very keen to know. :bananadance

Got mine sorted in the end. Took me some time but nothing too difficult.

Hi Mark,

What did you do in the end?
Do your rear sensors work properly? Mine are driving me up the wall again now!

Alan

I fitted the full detachable kit from pfjones and had no issues with parking sensorts. I haven't got around to having the software update done yet but all the towing electrics work fine.

The only thing with the parking sensors is that when you're towing they'l continuously beep unless you press te button to turn them off - is that the issue you have or something else?

Will I be able to reach underneath to install the additional part of the loom to the front passenger seat or does it need going over a pit or jacking up?

I managed without a pit or a back. I did use the ramps we have for camp sites just to left 1 side of the van to give a little more clearance. Bit hard work removing all the trim. Easy enough but plenty of time spent led on your back removing stuff.

I fitted the full detachable kit from pfjones and had no issues with parking sensorts. I haven't got around to having the software update done yet but all the towing electrics work fine.

The only thing with the parking sensors is that when you're towing they'l continuously beep unless you press te button to turn them off - is that the issue you have or something else?

You will need to get the coding done to stop that.

My rears continuously beep in the hot weather when in reverse. Only the fronts behave normally. The Witter rep said when the plastic gets hot the bumper expands, and so a couple of the sensors see the fixed ball. They certainly misbehave during the summer which is a real pain, so maybe he was right.

I am thinking the right electrics loom will make a difference as I have a non approved one installed on this van. Not by me I hasten to add. Was on the van when we bought it.

Alan

Has anyone any pictures of where their tow bar wiring looms connect to on a tow bar prep version. My 2015 180 SE has tow bar prep but I am now convinced that there is no easy connection point at the rear of the vehicle having looked in every hole, cupboard and under vehicle e.tc The nearest visibility of any towbar electrics appears to be the module fitted under the drivers seat. PF Jones provided me with quite a short cable for the wiring but it is obviously designed for a T5 Van where the tow bar prep terminates behind a panel on the passenger near side rear. this may exist int heCali but would require removal of wardrobe/cupboards etc and thats not the way to go. Can anyone tell me the part no of the official VW loom for the Cali with tower prep (ID7) and any fitting instructions/photos would be greatly valued.

Ian

Back