Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear parking beeper and reversing with boat trailer into water

Phil Hall

Phil Hall

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
When reversing my boat / trailer into the water I do not have the towing electrics trailer board connected. The rear parking beeper is sounding all the time. If electrics connected VW electrics intelligent enough to turn off beeper. Does anybody know what pin is sensed for the electrics to detect towing condition please? I can then make up dummy plug. New 13 pin version.

As you have the 13 pin electrics, there is a small microswitch in the body of the socket, so you could just buy a plug and wire it to nothing and plug it in just for reversing into the water.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Brills
As you have the 13 pin electrics, there is a small microswitch in the body of the socket, so you could just buy a plug and wire it to nothing and plug it in just for reversing into the water.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk[/QUO Brilliant, thank you and will do.

Are you sure? I leave a 13pin to 7 pin adapter plugged in most of the time & that doesn't affect the reversing sensor.

When reversing my boat / trailer into the water I do not have the towing electrics trailer board connected. The rear parking beeper is sounding all the time. If electrics connected VW electrics intelligent enough to turn off beeper. Does anybody know what pin is sensed for the electrics to detect towing condition please? I can then make up dummy plug. New 13 pin version.

Cant you just press the "P" switch on the dashboard to turn them off?

The switch on mine keeps it silent until reverse is selected again - i.e. you have to come out of reverse and then go back into reverse for it to start beeping again.

Are you sure? I leave a 13pin to 7 pin adapter plugged in most of the time & that doesn't affect the reversing sensor.
I am not sure now you have posted that. I diy fitted my electrics and that is what the instructions said. I think it said you shouldn't leave an adapter in place for that reason.

If you leave you 7-13 adapter in place - does the vehicle know when you plug a 7 pin device into the adapter?

Mine are factory fit electrics, the adapter on its own is not detected, once the trailers plugged into it, instead of the reversing sensors it shows a trailer icon when reverse is selected.

There isn't any microswitch in a standard 13 pin socket, most 13 pin plugs short across pins 12 and 3 (lighting earth), pin 12 is the one that sends the message to the ecu that activates the "towing mode"

It could be that your adapter has this short built in.

On the 7 pin socket, that switch breaks the feed to the vans reversing lights. The 13pin socket may be the same.

Alan

on numerous cars with towbars Ive never seen a microswitch built into the socket

On my previous van, I got my local car guy to install a switch, so I could mute the buzzer foot this exact reason.

"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so"

The cali comes with a switch marked with a huge P on the dashboard with a factory install for that exact purpose

Ok I said I've never seen one! I've only had porsche, vw, landrover and ford with 13 pin plugs and none of them had microswitches.

on numerous cars with towbars Ive never seen a microswitch built into the socket

My van is 2010 so this may also be a factor as the wiring harnesses you can buy differ between the years. I suspect it also differs between manufacturers.

It is a small plastic pin (bottom right if I remember correctly) that is pushed on by the edge of the plug. The pin breaks a contact at the back of the socket by the connectors. I puzzled about it until I poked it with a screwdriver and found the vans reversing lights went off. Later Cali models may well have the computer doing the control.

Alan

Back