Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Top 3 Things You Wish You Knew Before You Got Your First Cali

t6.1

t6.1

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
As the title suggests, what are the:

"Top 3 Things You Wish You Knew Before You Got Your First Cali"?

GO!

:agreed:upsidedown
That it seems to asks for more attention than my 2 year old.
We are in a fortunate position that we can afford it but to kit it out with all the things you need to make your time in your Cali as comfortable as possible with an awning plus screen cover Cali topper etc wow

We are in a fortunate position that we can afford it but to kit it out with all the things you need to make your time in your Cali as comfortable as possible with an awning plus screen cover Cali topper etc wow
I have people coming to me saying wow we have always wanted one of these we want one. I think we fell into this bracket too. Being a VW buyer for as long as I can remember I think I were blinded by the image everyone thinks when seeing a VW Campervan. We wished now we had bought a 6 metre Van conversion as finding the room inside difficult to manage.

1) Wish i’d known how bad the standard Beach headlights were.

2) Wish I’d known that the upgraded H7 Headlights were part of the fairly cheap Exterior pack.

3) Wish I’d taken the decision to buy a T5 Beach when they first come out around 2011.

1) Wish i’d known how bad the standard Beach headlights were.

2) Wish I’d known that the upgraded H7 Headlights were part of the fairly cheap Exterior pack.

3) Wish I’d taken the decision to buy a T5 Beach when they first come out around 2011.
I had read about how bad the standard headlights were so we went for the full led front and rear option but so expensive

I have people coming to me saying wow we have always wanted one of these we want one. I think we fell into this bracket too. Being a VW buyer for as long as I can remember I think I were blinded by the image everyone thinks when seeing a VW Campervan. We wished now we had bought a 6 metre Van conversion as finding the room inside difficult to manage.
There’s always compromises to be made. We cannot afford 2 vehicles, and the van is perfect for daily use, so we’re happy. I figure I should count my blessings, being in a position to own one of these, given the current state of this world. I do complain from time to time, just not out loud. :embarrased After 3 months ownership I feel I’m slowly letting go of ‘resale value syndrome’ and frantically looking to keep it pristine.

I had read about how bad the standard headlights were so we went for the full led front and rear option but so expensive
Got the LED’s on my current Beach and they are worth every penny, especially if you do a lot of night time driving, which I don’t!

Got the LED’s on my current Beach and they are worth every penny, especially if you do a lot of night time driving, which I don’t!
hehehe same here never driven mine Cali Ocean at night yet

#1 ) That I would have 10 warranty claims in 10 months :headbang

TOP 3 THINGS YOU WISH YOU KNEW BEFORE YOU GOT YOUR FIRST CALI

1. Never never ever buy a black vehicle. Actually I knew this but the ex-demo T5-1 180ps SE 4motion was one of the very last T5-1s available and was my first and last black vehicle. As Henry Ford is once supposed to have said in reference to his Model T: " you can have any colour you like just as long as it's black". The only time it ever looked properly clean was just before we drove it away from the dealer. After that the hard water in our area meant that preventing white calcium deposits was a constant battle. Black also requires a very thorough and meticulous cleaning regime in order to avoid micro scratches. It showed every mark in a way that other colours don't.

2. Whilst we enjoyed that SE very much indeed, it was only after we had purchased a seven seater Beach to use as a family car to run alongside the SE did we realise it's limitations. Being a full on campervan with fixed facilities reduces it's flexibility considerably. Very few people go camping 365 days a year and for those that do, there are much better alternatives out there. By contrast the Beach fulfils most roles with consumate ease because it isn't hampered by fix equipment. I don't regret owning the SE but I do wish I had known just how much better the Beach would have suited our life style before buying it.

3. The third thing is that I wish I'd discovered the California earlier.

Last edited:
TOP 3 THINGS YOU WISH YOU KNEW BEFORE YOU GOT YOUR FIRST CALI

1. Never never ever buy a black vehicle. Actually I knew this but the ex-demo T5-1 180ps SE 4motion was one of the very last T5-1s available and was my first and last black vehicle. As Henry Ford is once supposed to have said in reference to his Model T: " you can have any colour you like just as long as it's black". The only time it ever looked properly clean was just before we drove it away from the dealer. After that the hard water in our area meant that preventing white calcium deposits was a constant battle. Black also requires a very thorough and meticulous cleaning regime in order to avoid micro scratches. It showed every mark in a way that other colours don't.

2. Whilst we enjoyed that SE very much indeed, it was only after we had purchased a seven seater Beach to use as a family car to run alongside the SE did we realise it's limitations. Being a full on campervan with fixed facilities reduces it's flexibility considerably. Very few people go camping 365 days a year and for those that do, there are much better alternatives out there. By contrast the Beach fulfils most roles with consumate ease because it isn't hampered by fix equipment. I don't regret owning the SE but I do wish I had known just how much better the Beach would have suited our life style before buying it.

3. The third thing is that I wish I'd discovered the California earlier.

Just bought a black one, looked great drivin from showroom buy boy does it take som cleaning.
Still would have bought it though

Just bought a black one, looked great drivin from showroom buy boy does it take som cleaning.
Still would have bought it though
Make sure you use the two bucket method to clean it having first jet washed it off thoroughly. Always towel it off afterwards and never leave it to someone else to wash, especially your dealer.

Back