Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Top 3 Items You Wish You Had When You Got Your First Cali

I wouldn't be able to get up top with my arthritic knees lol and if I did I wouldn't be able to get down.
So, you guys and 3 dogs downstairs at night? Cosy. Does it work out okay?

We only have one small dog and he has the passenger seat facing forward always for his bed and daytime chillout space. He likes to go to bed early and retires at about 8pm in the van. Even did as a pup when our older dog would stay up in to the small hours. Never had a dog that's like it before. Certainly not a "party animal"!

We only have one small dog and he has the passenger seat facing forward always for his bed and daytime chillout space. He likes to go to bed early and retires at about 8pm in the van. Even did as a pup when our older dog would stay up in to the small hours. Never had a dog that's like it before. Certainly not a "party animal"!
We haven't got it yet!! Heaven knows how it will work but we will figure it out somehow

Apocryphal story of a couple visiting aristocracy in their freezing cold castle being told that if they felt cold in the night to call another dog onto their bed.

Hello to you all - you seem a very friendly bunch! This is my first post on here. Wanted a Cali for 2 years and the other half has just agreed to it - Woo-hoo!! I have done loads of research by reading hundreds of the posts on here but I thought it would be a good idea to get anyone’s thoughts on things you’d wished you’d got factory fitted. We’re going 4motion as we will sometimes use it to tow our Eriba caravan and we live up a hill in Yorkshire which gets bad weather. I have a spec in mind and would reaaallly welcome anyone’s thoughts. Thank you!

Hello and welcome along! Very exciting times ahead for you both :) :cheers

The one item I wish we'd ticked was the larger fuel tank. At 30-36mpg the standard tank doesnt quite go as far as Id like between stops.

Welcome on board Lucy. Exciting times indeed.

If you do not spec somethings, they cannot be retrofitted and for some others there are always alternate options.

I would not go without ACC as that is an option that cannot be retrofitted. Along with dsg, it makes for a very relaxed ride on the motorway.

LED lights are another option. Though they can be retrofitted, they come as an expensive option.

The 80l tank - you can always carry a 10l fuel tank, especially if you are planning to go to the back of beyond where you will struggle to find a fuel station (maybe Kazakhstan or Morocco)

Diff lock - cannot be retrofitted, so again, with 4MO, see if you want that. Again, depends on where you plan to take the van as it can get quite expensive ticking off all the options.

For most of the options, you can retrofit if you see something that you think you very badly need.

Enjoy the spec-ing experience. It can become quite stressful

The good thing about the new T6.1 is that most of the must have options have become standard now.

Bigger Fuel tank is not expensive so get that. You’ll be getting the tow bar anyway. Paint and wheel choices are personal preference. I’ve just had a look at the configurator and it seems like most options now are driver aids.

Stereo upgrade might be nice but certainly not essential. I prefer the alcantara seats, but again, not essential.

Having owned a lower spec van, and now owning a high spec one, most of the options are not needed really. I rarely use those things that I thought I really wanted (Shower attachment, safe etc).

On the configurator spec everything you would like and if the price works for you go for it. If it comes out as more than you are willing to pay start removing things one by one with things that can be added later like two-tone colour options, wheel options, alcantara, awning, bike rack.....

Think carefully about anything that can’t be retrofitted like diff-lock.

For how you describe where you live, just in case you end up leaving home in terrible weather for brighter places, the hill descent control is highly effective and would be good peace of mind while towing.

My personal opinion is that I got the spec about right for me so I don’t have 3 options to offer you but the one thing I would have changed is the 4 keys. I had never lost a car key in my life so didn’t select it. while snow boarding in Norway I found a pocket full of snow and no key and getting my spare there and then a single replacement key there was super expensive.

I agree with @Moakesy the experience is the same with a lower or higher spec campervan so don’t stress it. A T6.1 with 4Motion means you’re getting from factory a highly luxurious and highly specified campervan before you add anything else. Enjoy the journey.

I agree with @Moakesy the experience is the same with a lower or higher spec campervan so don’t stress it. A T6.1 with 4Motion means you’re getting from factory a highly luxurious and highly specified campervan before you add anything else. Enjoy the journey.

You may wish to consider 'grippier' tyres. The dealer may do a deal with you and exchange the originals?

Hello and welcome along! Very exciting times ahead for you both :) :cheers

The one item I wish we'd ticked was the larger fuel tank. At 30-36mpg the standard tank doesnt quite go as far as Id like between stops.
Great idea - thank you!

Welcome on board Lucy. Exciting times indeed.

If you do not spec somethings, they cannot be retrofitted and for some others there are always alternate options.

I would not go without ACC as that is an option that cannot be retrofitted. Along with dsg, it makes for a very relaxed ride on the motorway.

LED lights are another option. Though they can be retrofitted, they come as an expensive option.

The 80l tank - you can always carry a 10l fuel tank, especially if you are planning to go to the back of beyond where you will struggle to find a fuel station (maybe Kazakhstan or Morocco)

Diff lock - cannot be retrofitted, so again, with 4MO, see if you want that. Again, depends on where you plan to take the van as it can get quite expensive ticking off all the options.

For most of the options, you can retrofit if you see something that you think you very badly need.

Enjoy the spec-ing experience. It can become quite stressful
Thank you so much for your reply - great ideas!

The good thing about the new T6.1 is that most of the must have options have become standard now.

Bigger Fuel tank is not expensive so get that. You’ll be getting the tow bar anyway. Paint and wheel choices are personal preference. I’ve just had a look at the configurator and it seems like most options now are driver aids.

Stereo upgrade might be nice but certainly not essential. I prefer the alcantara seats, but again, not essential.

Having owned a lower spec van, and now owning a high spec one, most of the options are not needed really. I rarely use those things that I thought I really wanted (Shower attachment, safe etc).
That sounds very very sensible. Thank you. I added some pricey things onto my Eriba When I ordered it and tbh have never used them!

On the configurator spec everything you would like and if the price works for you go for it. If it comes out as more than you are willing to pay start removing things one by one with things that can be added later like two-tone colour options, wheel options, alcantara, awning, bike rack.....

Think carefully about anything that can’t be retrofitted like diff-lock.

For how you describe where you live, just in case you end up leaving home in terrible weather for brighter places, the hill descent control is highly effective and would be good peace of mind while towing.

My personal opinion is that I got the spec about right for me so I don’t have 3 options to offer you but the one thing I would have changed is the 4 keys. I had never lost a car key in my life so didn’t select it. while snow boarding in Norway I found a pocket full of snow and no key and getting my spare there and then a single replacement key there was super expensive.

Thank you! Really appreciate all the consideration that people have put in to my question and I am taking all your advice - I think the only things I’m really struggling with is whether to get diff lock or not and the hill descent control but I’ll see what kind of deal I can get....

Thank you! Really appreciate all the consideration that people have put in to my question and I am taking all your advice - I think the only things I’m really struggling with is whether to get diff lock or not and the hill descent control but I’ll see what kind of deal I can get....
I might be wrong, but the diff-lock might be one of the few options that might be of value on resale. I would pay a premium for a used 4Motion van with the diff-lock over one without. Hill descent I have not used so much so would not be so much of an issue for me.

You may wish to consider 'grippier' tyres. The dealer may do a deal with you and exchange the originals?
Mmmm... good idea. if you do’t mind me asking a further question...What would be grippier tyres?

I might be wrong, but the diff-lock might be one of the few options that might be of value on resale. I would pay a premium for a used 4Motion van with the diff-lock over one without. Hill descent I have not used so much so would not be so much of an issue for me.
I think diff lock will be more important for us and certainly won’t hurt when we eventually resell. Thanks for that. Apparently we have it on our Toyota hilux but I didn’t realise !

I leave one key at home, my wife has one, I have one that I use and one which I keep in a zipped belt that I carry with me all the time whilst we are away (barring the obvious; bed showering, swimming etc). I've locked us out on 2 occasions with the key I use generally locked in side the van. No problem as I had the spare in my belt. Several people on the forum have experienced the same problem, hope this explains why I feel the 4 key option is important, at least I feel it is

I leave one key at home, my wife has one, I have one that I use and one which I keep in a zipped belt that I carry with me all the time whilst we are away (barring the obvious; bed showering, swimming etc). I've locked us out on 2 occasions with the key I use generally locked in side the van. No problem as I had the spare in my belt. Several people on the forum have experienced the same problem, hope this explains why I feel the 4 key option is important, at least I feel it is
Totally! Very very sensible. It’s in my ‘must have’ list now and I really appreciate your advice. Thank you. Very much appreciated.