Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
I Cant wait, both the van & both Mercedes manage to spot the 50mph limit on the adjacent slip road when heading Southbound on the M1 between J8 and J6 & having the system slow the car/van down as a result would be frustrating.

It's another step towards driverless cars.

IainB

IainB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Yet another step towards taking control away from the driver.

May have positives for low speed town roads, but if the system screws up who is at fault, the driver or the car? No speeding, no fines, government and local authority speed trap income would dry up.

Wildcamper

Wildcamper

Vehicle
Please Select
My Pioneer sat nav already tells me if I go over the speed limit "you are over the speed limit"! It does not read traffic signs as there is no camera. I presume the speed limits are programmed into the maps and updated with the map updates. Sometimes it is wrong but rarely.

willwander

willwander

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Difficult to argue against, but being somewhat libertarian in my views, feels kinda wrong.

sidepod

sidepod

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Forget that. GPS trackers mandatory on new vehicles and retro fitted at MOT on used.
Concentrate on 30/40 limits, forget the rest.

Automatic means tested fines, minimum £1k.

Bellcrew

Bellcrew

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Difficult to argue against, but being somewhat libertarian in my views, feels kinda wrong.
Stupid tailgate accidents that cause most of the delays on motorways will hopefully also be prevented by this technology, the government/councils will always find ways to keep their earnings up from the motorist, that is guaranteed.

sidepod

sidepod

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
It isn’t speed that causes accidents it’s driving like a c**t that causes accidents.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
It isn’t speed that causes accidents it’s driving like a c**t that causes accidents.
Yes it's the inappropriate use of speed that causes accidents. I can see no reason why driving at speeds above the national limit on an empty motorway at night should be classed as dangerous. Whereas driving at 30mph in a 30mph limit can often be more dangerous to others around you.

pluc99

pluc99

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
AI nightmare. It's going to take many generations until these systems actually become "intelligent". By all means install it somewhere else to get the bugs out but until then I'd rather keep it away from my own vehicles.

Ch1pbutty

Ch1pbutty

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
A human won’t brake for a plastic bag etc blowing across the road, but an autonomous driving vehicle might…so has the potential to cause havoc on a busy motorway.

sidepod

sidepod

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
They can’t get adaptive cruise to work properly without being a massive PITA.

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
After fully autonomous vehicles the next step could be centralised traffic management systems connected to your vehicle’s Satnav that route your vehicle in the most efficient way to avoid congestion. Fines levied for deviating from prescribed route. Thankfully, i’ll be dead by then :)

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
It will be like having Cycling Mikey controlling your speed and ensuring compliance with the law. It is hard to know what there is not to like about the system.