Thoughts?

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I Cant wait, both the van & both Mercedes manage to spot the 50mph limit on the adjacent slip road when heading Southbound on the M1 between J8 and J6 & having the system slow the car/van down as a result would be frustrating.

It's another step towards driverless cars.

Yet another step towards taking control away from the driver.

May have positives for low speed town roads, but if the system screws up who is at fault, the driver or the car? No speeding, no fines, government and local authority speed trap income would dry up.

My Pioneer sat nav already tells me if I go over the speed limit "you are over the speed limit"! It does not read traffic signs as there is no camera. I presume the speed limits are programmed into the maps and updated with the map updates. Sometimes it is wrong but rarely.

Difficult to argue against, but being somewhat libertarian in my views, feels kinda wrong.

Forget that. GPS trackers mandatory on new vehicles and retro fitted at MOT on used.
Concentrate on 30/40 limits, forget the rest.

Automatic means tested fines, minimum £1k.

Difficult to argue against, but being somewhat libertarian in my views, feels kinda wrong.
Stupid tailgate accidents that cause most of the delays on motorways will hopefully also be prevented by this technology, the government/councils will always find ways to keep their earnings up from the motorist, that is guaranteed.

It isn’t speed that causes accidents it’s driving like a c**t that causes accidents.

It isn’t speed that causes accidents it’s driving like a c**t that causes accidents.
Yes it's the inappropriate use of speed that causes accidents. I can see no reason why driving at speeds above the national limit on an empty motorway at night should be classed as dangerous. Whereas driving at 30mph in a 30mph limit can often be more dangerous to others around you.

AI nightmare. It's going to take many generations until these systems actually become "intelligent". By all means install it somewhere else to get the bugs out but until then I'd rather keep it away from my own vehicles.

They can’t get adaptive cruise to work properly without being a massive PITA.

After fully autonomous vehicles the next step could be centralised traffic management systems connected to your vehicle’s Satnav that route your vehicle in the most efficient way to avoid congestion. Fines levied for deviating from prescribed route. Thankfully, i’ll be dead by then :)

It will be like having Cycling Mikey controlling your speed and ensuring compliance with the law. It is hard to know what there is not to like about the system.