Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Speed limits

No, several of our van drivers have found out the hard way! We are ok in the Cali (I hope!)

No, several of our van drivers have found out the hard way! We are ok in the Cali (I hope!)
It all depends on the Vehicle Classification.

N1 = Commercial thus speed limit restrictions

M1 = Car thus no special speed restrictions.

The " Grey " area is N1 Commercial converted to a Body Type = Motor Caravan/Motorhome/Campervan. The general consensus is they are exempt from Commercial speed restrictions.

It all depends on the Vehicle Classification.

N1 = Commercial thus speed limit restrictions

M1 = Car thus no special speed restrictions.

The " Grey " area is N1 Commercial converted to a Body Type = Motor Caravan/Motorhome/Campervan. The general consensus is they are exempt from Commercial speed restrictions.
Hi @WelshGas i have been on a speed awareness course yesterday- and just wanted to check that a2019 ocean 4motion v5 registered MPV has the same speed limits as a car.
The course now said cameras are switching to number plater recognition and this was picking up more vans than the old cameras fixed at 70.
Thanks in advance

Hi @WelshGas i have been on a speed awareness course yesterday- and just wanted to check that a2019 ocean 4motion v5 registered MPV has the same speed limits as a car.
The course now said cameras are switching to number plater recognition and this was picking up more vans than the old cameras fixed at 70.
Thanks in advance
Check your V5c, It should Have M 1 and Diesel Car on it with Body Type MPV. If it does then you are good to go.

I just checked on DVLA. The important fact is Type Approval. It should be M 1.

N 1 relates to a Commercial vehicle and slightly different speed limits. Causes problems when vehicles are converted to a Campervan and they cannot change the Body Type.

Back