Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The challenge and stress with VWCC

M

MrsDarcy

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi there

So the case with our roof repair and the warrenty continues. I’ve previously posted and had some really helpful advice thank you but unfortunately we are still at standstill with VWCC and their “customer care centre”. So without repeating previous posts I’m going to try and crack it down into a couple of questions.
VWCC have the documentation they need which shows the leak is due to a previous bodge job on the roof corrosion. Our “care manager” has now said unfortunately the company who carried out the work in 2019 has gone bust. Are we correct that SMG Tonbridge would be responsible as they are the ones that outsourced?

if your pride and joy was leaking water through the roof seal (front panel) the van is still under the 6 year warranty would you continue challenging VW to get it fixed under warranty or go ahead get it done then claim back through small courts?

Any ideas welcome on how much resealing the front roof panel would cost?

How successful do you think we would be claiming back through small courts? If this is going to cost a reasonable amount we are at the point we would rather just pay it than the stress we currently feel.

Thank you in advance for any guidance X

You need to follow the contractual link - who did you book the repair through? If it was SMG and they sublet the work it’s down to SMG. If you can prove VWCS arranged it, it’s VW.
If you dealt direct with the repairer it’s between them and you.
Do you have any finance on the van? If so the finance company is also a party & they may be another route to explore.

The important thing is to give everybody a chance to fix it. If you have legal cover ask them to do the letters it’s what they are there for.

My approach would be solicitors letter before action to, all ie SMG, Vw, finance co, and last address of roof repairer giving them 28 days to repair.
If it’s formal enough they should at least respond to it’s why it’s not their responsibility .
If they all refuse - get the repairs done & consider small claims court - keep repair costs under the max claim size. It’s low risk for you,
Keep all paperwork. Recorded letter or better still email and recorded letter is important. Phone calls and talking in person are difficult to prove.
It is vital that you give them final chance to repair.

My son is legal dept of trading standards & I do construction law, am happy to correspond via PM if you want a second opinion on anything. Bare in mind the other parties may see any messages on here.

Thank you, of course I wouldn’t put anything on here, it was more of a wider question. If we can find out how much we would be looking at that would really help

Thank you, of course I wouldn’t put anything on here, it was more of a wider question. If we can find out how much we would be looking at that would really help
The only way you’ll find out the true cost is by getting some open market quotes for the work from reputable body shops. Suggest obtaining three if possible.

edit: the quotations are an important part of any future claim as they will set the basis of the majority of out of pocket expense and clearly identifies to any judge the true market cost of remedial works, when carried out by a third party.
a future claim would be based on this information and the final invoice for the works.

Last edited:
Hi there

So the case with our roof repair and the warrenty continues. I’ve previously posted and had some really helpful advice thank you but unfortunately we are still at standstill with VWCC
I assume you mean VWCV Volks Wagen Commercial Vehicles?
not the VW California Club?

I would be pushing for a proper repair, i.e. a replacement front alloy panel, as was done on the first vehicles to be repaired under the agreement with VW, not this sticking plaster repair using a plastic cap to cover the corrosion, which has proved to be, as they say, "Not fit for purpose"

Back