Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Body Warranty challenge from dealer. Thoughts?

C

Chainline

VIP Member
So my Cali is 3 years old and on the pre warranty expiry check I flagged some issues. All fixed except for the usual roof fairing...which 'should' be authorised and a small rust bubble, no broken paint, to my eyes, on the side door, lower part, maybe max 1.5cm diameter.

My dealer has been great so far but the body and mechanical parts of the dealership are separate it seems.

Got a call today to say that bodyshop manager 'thinks' he can see an epicentre to the bubble, he 'believes' it could have been an untreated stonechip and its not covered under warranty as the paint 'may' have been broken. To say I'm a bit surprised would be an understatement. I know a bit about metal and corrosion as well as where my van has been stonechipped!

To make it worse the main dealer that has dealt with me all along with any mechanical issues had to take my 'frustration' not even the body shop passing judgement. :headbang I apologised afterwards and told him its not personal.

I have had some stonechips recently repaired after 2 years exposure on the bonnet and front arch. There has been no corrosion or paint bubbling, as you would expect from a galvanised body. Maybe the galvanisation on the door is $%^* :censor

The lower part of the door, especially when mudflaps are fitted as in this case, is not really prone to chips and I also know my van well enough from cleaning (obviously when I noticed it, its quite subtle bubbling and on Deep black) to be aware of what has and has not been chipped. I have asked if the 10 year warranty on the body is only for any panel with unbroken paint and whether the galvanisation also wears off when hit by a stone :? no answer yet :crazy

So I have suggested they are taking the mickey (polite phrasing). This dealer has been so good with me, but this is my first dealings with the body shop. From this experience it will be my last whether they agree to fix it or not.

Any thoughts? I will keep you updated on my progress so we can see if there is a trend here with warranty. I wouldn't expect this with a car of £15k let alone a Cali with a current retail of £55k!

just read the roof blistering thread in full since I also have this problem. Wished I'd have read it before I decided to buy my Cali at the end of the PCP period! Probably still the right decision though.

So it seems that any panel that has had any kind of chip or scratch that can be linked to corrosion is NOT coverered under the longer warranty (I've seen 10, 12 and 15 years mentioned in the thread) but 'may' though likely not, be covered within the 3 year warranty?

Hmmm, apart from the fact I am certain there was no damage prior to this bubble it doesnt give me confidence in VW support for this claim...there is no way if its not supported that VW are getting any cash to fix it either! :headbang

Back