Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Steering locks advice please

S

singingzucchini

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi everyone, I’m excited to be part of this forum.
Am picking up my T6 Ocean next week and wanted some advice on steering locks please
Thanks x

:welcome
It is never too early to think about security although as many members of this forum will tell you, provided you lock your van and secure your keys, your van will be very difficult to steal (not impossible however).
Personally I use a small size Disklok every time I park up. Takes seconds, and sends a visible sign that if somebody wants the van, they are going to need plenty of time to succeed.
Don’t forget to post a pic when you pick up your van :thumb

:welcome
It is never too early to think about security although as many members of this forum will tell you, provided you lock your van and secure your keys, your van will be very difficult to steal (not impossible however).
Personally I use a small size Disklok every time I park up. Takes seconds, and sends a visible sign that if somebody wants the van, they are going to need plenty of time to succeed.
Don’t forget to post a pic when you pick up your van :thumb
Thankyou much appreciated x

My SIL had his Fiesta ST stolen with a DiscLock installed.
The scrout in the passenger seat turned the steering from behind.
So either: make sure its on really tight and you cant turn steering wheel from behind, or get a stoplock pro elite and put the two bars through two parts of the steering wheel, so the Crims have to do two cuts through steering wheel to remove.

Stoplock Pro Elite Car Steering Wheel Lock HG 150-00 - Safe Secure Heavy Duty Anti-Theft Bar - Universal Fit - Includes 2 Keys and Carry Bag, Black/Yellow, 1 Unit​

My SIL had his Fiesta ST stolen with a DiscLock installed.
The scrout in the passenger seat turned the steering from behind.
So either: make sure its on really tight and you cant turn steering wheel from behind, or get a stoplock pro elite and put the two bars through two parts of the steering wheel, so the Crims have to do two cuts through steering wheel to remove.

Stoplock Pro Elite Car Steering Wheel Lock HG 150-00 - Safe Secure Heavy Duty Anti-Theft Bar - Universal Fit - Includes 2 Keys and Carry Bag, Black/Yellow, 1 Unit​

Thats shocking !
Thankyou very much for your advice x

I use a Stoplock Pro, kept from my previous car. Disklok are the benchmark, but quite expensive. The visible deterrence of both is offputting. And together with swivelling the driver seat, it all adds to the time taken to steal, meaning “let’s move on to something easier”. Not a guarante….

I use a Stoplock Pro, kept from my previous car. Disklok are the benchmark, but quite expensive. The visible deterrence of both is offputting. And together with swivelling the driver seat, it all adds to the time taken to steal, meaning “let’s move on to something easier”. Not a guarante….
Makes sense.
Thankyou x

We have a Stoplock Pro Elite on steering wheel and when the vans parked up in the driveway if we’re away we also have a wheel lock.
We don’t take the wheel lock on trips just the steering wheel lock, it’s easy 2 mins to on / off and a good visible deterrent.

I opted for the bear lock that blocks the transmission from being engaged. The down side is that it is not a visible deterrent (apart from the window stickers),. The strong plus side is that it is internally installed and takes only the twist of a button to engage. It has become an automatic movement to engage the lock even on the briefest stop whereas I know I wouldn't fumble around with a steering wheel lock when stopping for only a few minutes.

https://theftstop.co.uk/bear-lock/

@pluc99 I have a construct gearbox lock and an ODB lock, quite similar to the bearlock. Most insurers in the Netherlands won't insure the vehicle against theft without one.

Just bought a BI OBD port lock for the defender.
Great piece of kit.
Recomended by the thatcham s5 tracker installer.

Any reason why you did not buy one for your California?
I have a ghost2 installed.
So could leave the key on the seat and doors open.
They will not start it.
Unless they have a gun pointed to my groin ;)

Just bought a BI OBD port lock for the defender.
Great piece of kit.
Recomended by the thatcham s5 tracker installer.

Looked at one of the above OBD locks (BI OBD), but in the end I have just ordered the unit below (OBDUVP):

More expensive than the BI OBD, but after speaking at some length to Matthew in technical support (very expert) at the supplier (the UK importer) I liked this product the best. I might have gone for their VW specific 'extended' model (OBD100B) , which is perhaps slightly more secure, but it sounded more of a fiddle to remove and I want to be able to have regular access to my OBD port (for DPF Monitor).

Last edited:
I opted for the bear lock that blocks the transmission from being engaged. The down side is that it is not a visible deterrent (apart from the window stickers),. The strong plus side is that it is internally installed and takes only the twist of a button to engage. It has become an automatic movement to engage the lock even on the briefest stop whereas I know I wouldn't fumble around with a steering wheel lock when stopping for only a few minutes.

https://theftstop.co.uk/bear-lock/
This sounds good how much would this be ?
thanks x

This sounds good how much would this be ?
thanks x
I paid around £750 but everything costs more in Switzerland especially where there is labour involved. A quick google suggests that the price in UK would come in at just under £500. From my perspective it's the price of having a deterrent that I use every time I park the vehicle.

Hi everyone, I’m excited to be part of this forum.
Am picking up my T6 Ocean next week and wanted some advice on steering locks please
Thanks x
Hi,
I have just bought a VW Crafter and also bought a steering lock on the advice of my brother. I decided to do a Youtube check watching a VW video on the Crafter and apparently without the key the van is not going anywhere. You can lock the steering wheel as much as you like, but the engine will not cooperate. There is also an alarm system. So I have decided to ditch the lock because it is a constant reminder of threat.

So...we shall see. Am I going to be proved wrong?

Hi,
I have just bought a VW Crafter and also bought a steering lock on the advice of my brother. I decided to do a Youtube check watching a VW video on the Crafter and apparently without the key the van is not going anywhere. You can lock the steering wheel as much as you like, but the engine will not cooperate. There is also an alarm system. So I have decided to ditch the lock because it is a constant reminder of threat.

So...we shall see. Am I going to be proved wrong?
Exactly the same as the California. And, if you keep the steering wheel lock with your ignition key then no deterrent at all, because if they have the ignition key they will have the steering wheel lock key.