Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)

Steering lock advice please

Discussion in 'Security' started by Julesa, Nov 16, 2018.

1. johntowers46

johntowers46 Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 130
    Year:
  2. Skewif

Skewif Home is where you park it. VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    IMO. OK, if it makes you sleep better at night then all well and good but I don't get it. Why create the inconvenience of faffing around with big steering wheel locks or swivelling seats every time you want to drive? Who and what are you protecting yourself from? Without the keys a modern Cali is not an easy steal. The steering lock is good it has a quality immobiliser built in and the doors deadlock. Contrary to some of the pinned "experts" advice on here your baby is not going to be driven off by some geek plugging their laptop into your tow socket.
    Yes there has been in increase in car thefts of late but mostly from exploiting keyless entry and the predictability of you (and I) leaving the keys on the hallway table. As we don't have keyless then to take a Cali it's going to be either with the keys or lifted. If it's going to be lifted then all of the above will have zero effect so that only leaves the keys. I'll hazard a guess that almost everyone who fits a wheel lock keeps the key on the same ring with the ignition key. So not much use when they take the bunch from your bedside drawer while you sleep as my next-door neighbour in London discovered.
    If you are lucky enough to be able to park your van in front of your home advertising the probable whereabouts of the keys and you live in fear of the worst happening get a Autowatch Ghost fitted. Even with the keys it's not driving anywhere. As for the fear mongering that after breaking into your house, taking your keys, making several attempts to start your van and it stalling showing a fault waking up half the neighbourhood that the would be thieves will come back in and you'll be held hostage until you give up the real reason it won't start ... really!

I trust the standard security on my van even though I park on the street in the middle of a city. The tiny premium I pay to insure my very expensive pride and joy confirms the odds are not worth thinking about or loosing any sleep over. Life is too short.

• I Agree I Agree x 5
  3. Alan Andrews

Alan Andrews VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    If fitting a lock allows someone to sleep easier, then £50-100 on a decent approved lock is a reasonable investment.

I think that most people these days are of the opinion "if they want it bad enough, then they'll work out how to take it anyway!". But even so....

Is little cost for a good nights sleep.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
  4. Skewif

Skewif Home is where you park it. VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    I totally agree and said so. If it helps you sleep then great. The "if they want it bad enough" way of thinking must also apply to the steering wheel lock so why burden yourself with the faff of forever putting it on and off each time you want to drive if they will nick it anyway.

5. Erbster

Erbster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    I was going to buy a stoplock pro, but there are lots of reviews on the Halfords website saying that they damage the steering wheel, scuffing the covering. Anyone who owns one care to comment?

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/

6. johntowers46

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 130
    Year:
    I own one not noticed scuffing

7. RoB5urf

RoB5urf Beach with 2-seat bench VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Me neither. I suppose if I were clumsy I could contrive to make some scratches

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

8. Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Ditto, I have used one a long time with no concerns. A little care in putting it on and off I suspect is the key to success. I would buy another if for any reason I needed a second. Hope that helps.

9. Erbster

Erbster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
  10. flying banana

flying banana T6 Ocean 204ps manual VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    I also have one. No scuffing at all. I clamp. It over a spoke with the controls on. I've used it for years now the same one. No scuffing of the wheel. I chuck it in the big drawer when driving.

11. B J G

B J G VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Used one on 3 different cars/vehicles since 2010 with no damage, even minor.
    Now have 3 in total.

12. johntowers46

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 130
    Year:
    My hands have scuffed steering wheel, after 160k miles.
    Oh I don't wear gloves whilst driving.