Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Steering lock advice please

Julesa

Julesa

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all,

Having seen van thefts on various forums we want to do what we can to minimise risk of losing our new Cali Ocean when it arrives.

A spare safe is on order for the spare wheel.

We are now looking at non bulky steering wheel locks - any recommendations would be welcomed please!

We are also interested in tracking devices but maybe we should leave that for another thread?!

Thanks in advance,

Jules

Turn the front seats round, might buy a bit of time. The disklock is being recommend by police currently. It fits over the steering wheel.
They are also recommending a blocking key case to prevent against hacker attacks.
I’d really like to disable mine.
Good luck.

Not that easy to get in the UK but think about fitting a Bearlock on your gearstick . I got it and i lock it even when going just for bread or when going in the gastation to pay...

Good insurance.

A2A0DBE4-AB8F-474E-B623-7BE6E94871DF.jpeg I use one of these fit around the steering wheel spoke, set the middle spoke to 8 o clock, fit the lock. Can ne used as above when the seats are turned

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/c...nco-high-security-steering-wheel-lock--silver

Milenco High Security Steering Wheel Lock Extra Info
  • High security steering wheel lock
  • Designed to pass and exceed the Sold Secure Gold Automotive standard, which is 2 and half times tougher than the Thatcham Standard
  • Highly visible and powerful theft deterrent
  • Comes with 3 x High Security keys which are both durable and highly reliable
  • Unique innovative design, that allows for fast and easy fitment in just a few seconds.
  • Fits 90%+ of steering wheels
Sixty of your finest English pounds from Halfords

I use a Stoplock Pro. You don't need the bulkier and more expensive elite version.
It gives a visual deterrent and goes on the floor between the seats without causing too much of a nuisance.
You can add electronic aids on top of that but the Police now advise a visual device.
Seeing my neighbours Merc taking 2 minutes to be driven off at 03.25 shows how quick cars are taken. Recorded on my CCTV.

I did have a Disclok on a previously owned defender which was a pain to store when taken off.

Worth a read -
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/95031/best-steering-wheel-locks

I use a disklok. They are heavy to use and a pain to store but they offer great piece of mind. I would rather have the hassle than lose my van. If I remember correctly they are Thatcham approved too.

I use the steering lock. Not a disk lock. I do wonder how hard it would be to saw through the steering wheel and just slide of my steering lock?

Now that Motor Bike security chains get cut by battery powered disc cutters a steering wheel has no chance of resisting a cut.
Hopefully a visual deterrent sends the thief down the road to someone else's vehicle, but if they have come for your vehicle it'll be gone in minutes regardless of preventative devices.

I don't think many Joyriders go looking for a California. It would be Professionals and very little in-car security would stop them if they want it.
Nowadays, if they want it then it will be you or your family they will target for the keys and any codes etc: and who, in all honesty, will say No.

I don't think many Joyriders go looking for a California. It would be Professionals and very little in-car security would stop them if they want it.
Nowadays, if they want it then it will be you or your family they will target for the keys and any codes etc: and who, in all honesty, will say No.
Agreed.

I still think that a swivelled driver's seat, pushed back, armrests up, handbrake on, and doors deadlocked is the most effective security measure. It is certainly cheap.

Steering locks do act as a good deterrent I chose the stoplock pro elite and my Cali is still here. Stored here whilst driving

6A344E63-BF1F-40C5-9B04-5E51700D3749.jpeg

6DDDFED2-55BB-465A-BA7D-68DEA6811E44.jpeg

IMO. OK, if it makes you sleep better at night then all well and good but I don't get it. Why create the inconvenience of faffing around with big steering wheel locks or swivelling seats every time you want to drive? Who and what are you protecting yourself from? Without the keys a modern Cali is not an easy steal. The steering lock is good it has a quality immobiliser built in and the doors deadlock. Contrary to some of the pinned "experts" advice on here your baby is not going to be driven off by some geek plugging their laptop into your tow socket.
Yes there has been in increase in car thefts of late but mostly from exploiting keyless entry and the predictability of you (and I) leaving the keys on the hallway table. As we don't have keyless then to take a Cali it's going to be either with the keys or lifted. If it's going to be lifted then all of the above will have zero effect so that only leaves the keys. I'll hazard a guess that almost everyone who fits a wheel lock keeps the key on the same ring with the ignition key. So not much use when they take the bunch from your bedside drawer while you sleep as my next-door neighbour in London discovered.
If you are lucky enough to be able to park your van in front of your home advertising the probable whereabouts of the keys and you live in fear of the worst happening get a Autowatch Ghost fitted. Even with the keys it's not driving anywhere. As for the fear mongering that after breaking into your house, taking your keys, making several attempts to start your van and it stalling showing a fault waking up half the neighbourhood that the would be thieves will come back in and you'll be held hostage until you give up the real reason it won't start ... really!

I trust the standard security on my van even though I park on the street in the middle of a city. The tiny premium I pay to insure my very expensive pride and joy confirms the odds are not worth thinking about or loosing any sleep over. Life is too short.

If fitting a lock allows someone to sleep easier, then £50-100 on a decent approved lock is a reasonable investment.

I think that most people these days are of the opinion "if they want it bad enough, then they'll work out how to take it anyway!". But even so....

Is little cost for a good nights sleep.

Last edited:
If fitting a lock allows someone to sleep easier, then £50-100 on a decent approved lock is a reasonable investment.

I think that most people these days are of the opinion "if they want it bad enough, then they'll work out how to take it anyway!".

So little cost for a good nights sleep.
I totally agree and said so. If it helps you sleep then great. The "if they want it bad enough" way of thinking must also apply to the steering wheel lock so why burden yourself with the faff of forever putting it on and off each time you want to drive if they will nick it anyway.