Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bench seat backrest stuck - Advice please

R

Richyboy1969

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Can anyone give me some advice please.
My California bed will not go back into seat position and am in France with 4 weeks travelling left. There are 3 of us and so we need the back seat up.
I have managed to access the plastic panel and can see both arms of locks working but the bed will not return to seat position.
I think that one side has become jammed.
Any ideas on releasing this would be much welcome.

Try this. Worked for me.

Unlock seat and make sure it is fully forward. Sit on it when you pull the Lock Lever.

Then Kneel on the bench in the centre facing the rear and pull the strap Up, while pulling/shaking the Back Rest into the Seated Position.

Can anyone give me some advice please.
My California bed will not go back into seat position and am in France with 4 weeks travelling left. There are 3 of us and so we need the back seat up.
I have managed to access the plastic panel and can see both arms of locks working but the bed will not return to seat position.
I think that one side has become jammed.
Any ideas on releasing this would be much welcome.
Did you get this sorted? How?
Could be useful to Forum Members.

Thanks for your replies guys.
No this is still well and truly jammed .
I have been using the Cali for 5 years and this one I haven’t been able to sort out .
So travelling around France precariously untill I take the back of seat of and unlatch one side.
I have already cut a few holes in the plastic to check on cables and arms but all good .
So I’m guessing one of the cables must have come of the clips to the lock on one side.
The forum has been very helpful as I found some plans for the bed posted earlier.
Cheers

Ok guys for anybody who is in this situation I found a very quick fix.
If you know that the cable has been disconnected on one side and the seat will not go back up using the cable.
Lift the seat bench seat up so you can access the lock mechanism in picture and with a flat screwdriver you can push the clip up to release the clips.
This will get you out of trouble

3479CF3F-FAF1-423F-B4D0-A389477B1357.jpeg

6EE791ED-FC4B-40E4-A7B3-E5734684934A.jpeg

we have the same problem, the pictures you showed is this at the back of the seat or??

kind regards,
Michel

Pictures are underneath the base cushion of the bench seat.
The clear plastic in the second picture is in the under bench drawer.
To lift the cushion you need to undo a white strap which you access from the load through space and can be seen dangling down in the second picture.
No idea if that makes any sense but if not let me know and I’ll take some pictures.

Had the same problem with the bench seat stuck in the down position recently. Hate to admit it, but it was my fault having pushed down hard on something in the boot space and stretched one of the wires in the back of the seat. Luckily happened on the last day of our trip. Thanks to VW Beadles commercial in Dartford who sorted it for me.