Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Snow chains

Gooldmike

Gooldmike

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi , am heading down to the Pyrenees in January . Have 4 new winter tyres on my van . Reading the legal requirements , it states “ snow chains/ socks or winter tyres” .
So I know I’m legal with just winter tyres . However would people recommend carrying snow chains as well just in case or would that be ‘overkill ‘ ?

Hi , am heading down to the Pyrenees in January . Have 4 new winter tyres on my van . Reading the legal requirements , it states “ snow chains/ socks or winter tyres” .
So I know I’m legal with just winter tyres . However would people recommend carrying snow chains as well just in case or would that be ‘overkill ‘ ?
In my, limited, experience these can be cheaper (at tyre centres or larger supermarkets etc.) out there than in the UK.

In my, limited, experience these can be cheaper (at tyre centres or larger supermarkets etc.) out there than in the UK.
Thanks but my question is not the relative cost of snow chains , merely if advisable to carry them if one has winter tyres ( and therefore , being legal)

In general winter tyres Are enough, but in the mountains this sign is used

1701978459200.jpeg
and that means that snow chains are mandatory - even if there is no snow!

In general winter tyres Are enough, but in the mountains this sign is used

View attachment 117174
and that means that snow chains are mandatory - even if there is no snow!
Thanks. However , I’ve looked up the recent French guidelines and it very specifically states “ winter tyres or snow chains/socks” unless it’s a HGV with a trailer or semi trailer , when chains are requiered even if winter tyres . The sign you’ve referenced just denotes that an obligation of winter equipment is required and that means either winter tyres “or” snow chains unless a HGV with a trailer or semitrailer . It doesn’t denote cabins specifically

Thanks. However , I’ve looked up the recent French guidelines and it very specifically states “ winter tyres or snow chains/socks” unless it’s a HGV with a trailer or semi trailer , when chains are requiered even if winter tyres . The sign you’ve referenced just denotes that an obligation of winter equipment is required and that means either winter tyres “or” snow chains unless a HGV with a trailer or semitrailer . It doesn’t denote cabins specifically
I think you are confusing 2 things.
If you pass this sign, you must have either 3PMSF-(winter)-tyres OR carry snow chains.
IMG_5878.jpeg

On top, if there is snow or ice on the road and you pass this sign, you can be obliged to put on snow chains, regardless of having 3PMSF-(winter)-tyres.
IMG_5879.jpeg
However, if there is a sub-sign below this blue board saying “pneus neiges admis”, winter tyres without chains are sufficient.

So bottomline: you will need to carry chains if there is a chance of snow on the road, regardless of already having suitable winter tyres.

Thank you for that .
It’s interesting. The link I read refers to this season — so very up to date .
and it does state what is accepted as being the legal requirement for this season without penalty . I wonder if there s been a change . Undoubtedly the latter blue sign you’ve included may still be a recommendation rather than a legal requirement . I’ll include the link to the recent guidance I read .

I think you are confusing 2 things.
If you pass this sign, you must have either 3PMSF-(winter)-tyres OR carry snow chains.
View attachment 117175

On top, if there is snow or ice on the road and you pass this sign, you can be obliged to put on snow chains, regardless of having 3PMSF-(winter)-tyres.
View attachment 117176
However, if there is a sub-sign below this blue board saying “pneus neiges admis”, winter tyres without chains are sufficient.

So bottomline: you will need to carry chains if there is a chance of snow on the road, regardless of already having suitable winter tyres.
So further to my last reply , if you read the boxed paragraph titled FYI — it seems to make a distinction between “ snow tyres” marked with the “3PMSF” and others .
In any case , just for peace of mind , I’m going to carry my chains anyway .
Thanks for your help , it’s much appreciated

I have an unused set of Thule Konig snowchains for sale over in the classifieds section, which I purchased for exactly this eventuality.

Back