Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Snow chains vs snow tyres question

Thanks. Most of it booked now. We were too late to get a package we wanted but scrabbled to book the apartment which was still available. Hence driving. I then booked tunnel and just about everything I could think of in 24hrs. We are stopping on the outskirts of Dijon both ways. It feels like a long drive with the kids but we will make it fun. I suspect it can be finessed in future years if the kids take to skiing!

I haven’t skied in ten years.
sounds fantastic - you'll have a blast, they'll love it!
As others have said, the journey is part of the fun.
We'll be in Sainte Foy Tarentaise at the same time - give us a wave from the top of Mont Pourri!!! Sainte Foy is worth checking out while you're there for the future, it's small but amazing for families. My favourite place on the planet.

Yes, almost identical situation. The question is will you be going again? I hope so but am not sure. The cost is astronomical and my kids might not love skiing.

The fact my tyres probably needed replacing helped.

I think your tyres are ok. Do they have the mountain symbol on them?

I got these chains as they seem easy to put on and the website allows you to type in your exact tyre size. I have smaller 16” wheels so you might need to check clearance.
we will be going again whether my kids like it or not! :)

yeah the current tyres have the mountain symbol so perhaps I’ll go with socks instead as a back up. Will give it more thought! thank you for the link and hope you have a great time.

we will be going again whether my kids like it or not! :)

yeah the current tyres have the mountain symbol so perhaps I’ll go with socks instead as a back up. Will give it more thought! thank you for the link and hope you have a great time.
There does seem to be a fair few reporting that the police can stop you and not let you pass without chains if it is snowing. Seems it may be compulsory.

Last edited:
There does seem to be a fair few reporting that the police can stop you and not let you pass without chains if it snowing. Seems it may be compulsory.
I thought the same but a Google search suggested one make was considered an acceptable alternative in France, they do have limitations on ice and fresh snow from what I've read, going for chains seems to me a no brainer.

My general opinion. I live in a country where it snows every year and where winter tyres are compulsory and required by law in winter. I do not think it makes much sense to ask about winter tyres or snow chains. Without winter tyres, driving in the snow is impossible, and even if you have a 4x4 vehicle, driving in the snow on a flat road will be life-threatening. I have been driving 4x4s for many years and our Cali is a 4x4. You can drive on most normal roads in winter without snow chains. But they are essential on icy roads, when the road gradient is very steep, or in extremely heavy snowfall. We use snow chains more as an SOS, but they are in the boot all winter, just in case. If you are going out in the snow in winter, both are a must.

My general opinion. I live in a country where it snows every year and where winter tyres are compulsory and required by law in winter. I do not think it makes much sense to ask about winter tyres or snow chains.
It does make sense to ask about winter tyres or snow chains. That’s what the forum is great for.

To ask people who know what they are talking about. People like you who actually have experience.

Having asked the forum, I have now bought tyres and chains.

Otherwise I am left with guessing and/or YouTube.

It does make sense to ask about winter tyres or snow chains. That’s what the forum is great for.

To ask people who know what they are talking about. People like you who actually have experience.

Having asked the forum, I have now bought tyres and chains.

Otherwise I am left with guessing and/or YouTube.
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but you will also need to carry a collapsible snow shovel and head torch, I've fitted chains in a blizzard at night and it's not much fun, normally necessary to dig round the tyres.

Make sure you practice putting them on in the comfort of your driveway.

Also switch off the traction control in snow.

Make sure you practice putting them on in the comfort of your driveway.
Absolutely do this if possible. Trying to do it for the first time in "anger", even having practised at home I can confirm it can be a total PITA. The first year we drove to the Alps at Feb half term I had my factory 16" Continental All Seasons which were pretty good (they have 3PMSF). However one of the days we ended up behind someone who got stuck and as a result we couldn't get moving again so I had to fit the chains (I think we would've been OK if we'd been able to keep moving). I had practised a couple of times, but it still took me longer than the queue of people behind me on the single track section of road!! I'd been very lucky to pick up a set of unused chains very local to me for a total steal! However I carry a set of snow socks as well as the chains, since they are so much easier if you just need to get yourself moving in deeper snow e.g a car park
Anyone got good winter tyre recommendations!?
I have a set of Continental WinterContact2 (225/55/17) on the van now which I can't recommend highly enough. The only downside is I like them so much I didn't take them off last summer so there's not quite as much tread as I'd like left for this season!

One of my tips if you get stuck.
Car mat or some off cut of carpet. 2 x 1m length, can help with initial traction.
Don’t laugh it’s tried and tested, helped some Frenchies stuck in La Plagne one year too :thumb

One of my tips if you get stuck.
Car mat or some off cut of carpet. 2 x 1m length, can help with initial traction.
Don’t laugh it’s tried and tested, helped some Frenchies stuck in La Plagne one year too :thumb
Absolutely. Did this myself many moons ago when I lived in Bavaria. Roads were clear and I went out in my T25 westy with summer tyres on just to give it a run. All good until I turned into a tiny side road just to turn round and got myself stuck with no one else for miles. The carpets and mats got me out of that mess!!

Don’t go without snow tyres or at least 4 seasons triple mountain ⛰️
It would be far to dangerous for you and others…

Just a very basic question. Having watched a video comparing snow chains, snow socks, various rubbish cheap alternatives and snow tyres, I have some pretty decent Thule snow chains arriving today. I just have Continental VanContact tyres.

But my question is, if you buy snow tyres, do you need to buy 4? Will front 2 suffice?

The reason I ask is, obviously, chains etcetera come in pairs and just go on the front.
Where there are regulations in some European countries only 2 are required (on the driven axle). However, 4 wheel drive vehicles would benefit from all 4 wheels having them fitted. If you have a 2 wheel drive Cali then a combination of front only and a decent set of winter tyres should see you ok.

I have all season 3 peak/snowflake on my Cali. I had them on my Audi quattro too. Crossclimates. Brilliant. Used them several times to drive to alps. They are also good for getting you out of muddy campsites and give increased confidence on wintery muddy wet roads in the uk. Would definitely recommend. I also found they are quite fuel efficient and lasted longer than other tyres. I guess you get what you pay for. Try and find a deal online e.g. Asda tyres or black circles.

Back