Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 California in winter/snow conditions

Gazellio

Gazellio

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I am driving to Austria next week in my my new California Beach now fitted with premium Winter Tyres. Being front wheel drive and having Winter Tyyres I am hoping it will perform well in the Wintry conditions but will also have snow socks or chains just in case.

Any opinions from those who have used their California in Winter Conditions/Alps?

You will be fine.
It’s like the alps here at the moment, my Cali has been fine and actually glad to be in the manual transmission. Not sure how well a 2wd DSG performs in the snow.

Yes mine is manual and I now have a set of Konig Thule Easy Fit Chains "Just in case" as its a high resort and tons of snow has fallen in the last few weeks...

Snow tyres and chains in the back for extreme if unlikely conditions and all is good including the perfect snow...

I had mine out yesterday in 6 inches of snow and it didn't bother it, a yellow TC light came on but it found its grip and motored on. Impressive really. Id wash it as well if my outside tap wasn't frozen solid :thumb

Snow tyres being fitted now and off to La Plagne on Thursday. Snow looking good early season for a change.

Lucky you.
I wanted to head down next week for a few days, but can’t sort a babysitter

Have driven in the alps. Cali performed faultlessly. Ditto at weekend in Derbyshire dales. Winter tyres plus chains and a sensible driving style and you’ll be fine. Hardest bit was the descent down the valley at end of holiday. Locals know the roads so can tend to sit on your tailgate looking for an overtaking opportunity. Just avoid the temptation to speed up to get away from them! Enjoy the trip.

I had mine out yesterday in 6 inches of snow and it didn't bother it, a yellow TC light came on but it found its grip and motored on. Impressive really. Id wash it as well if my outside tap wasn't frozen solid :thumb
Summer tyres?

Edit..
OOP!!!
Scrap that and read thread from start :headbang

My powers of observation let me down...I got you confused with Gazello having just seen a red and white flash of California in your avatars.

Can anyone tell me about what is best for driving in snow (alps) with a 4motion DSG with winter tyres. Would you recommend chains and I assume they would need to be on both axles.

Chains only where they ask you to fit them (Aire de Chainage) places like ValD’Isere, Avoriaz etc.

Fit on the front wheels, you can fit on all four but that’s exceptional.

Winter tyres are a must because ist definitly a law (at least in Germany)! Chains are ok, but I've never seen in the alpes a car with 4 chains (the only exception are sometimes military cars).

have fun / snow and sun greetings from Germany rd

Well we are in Oberauern high in the snow packed Austrian Alps. The snow is 1.8m in the village and the road up is completely covered in snow. The 2017 Cali made it up with ease on just snow tyres and at no time did it slip or spin and the traction control light never flashed once. It felt totally in control and my other car is a Land Rover Discovery 4. I agree the trip down will be more concerning due to the necessity to brake and gravity but I am convinced it will not need the chains. Very capable vehicle and I like the fact this one is manual.

Can anyone tell me about what is best for driving in snow (alps) with a 4motion DSG with winter tyres. Would you recommend chains and I assume they would need to be on both axles.

I'd just observe that in a lot of (most?) Austrian ski resorts the taxis seem to be T5/6 Caravelles. Rarely if ever 4Mos but always with winter tyres. I assume they have chains stashed in the back somewhere but never seem to need to fit them.

Just sayin'
;)

Well we are in Oberauern high in the snow packed Austrian Alps. The snow is 1.8m in the village and the road up is completely covered in snow. The 2017 Cali made it up with ease on just snow tyres and at no time did it slip or spin and the traction control light never flashed once. It felt totally in control and my other car is a Land Rover Discovery 4. I agree the trip down will be more concerning due to the necessity to brake and gravity but I am convinced it will not need the chains. Very capable vehicle and I like the fact this one is manual.

Enjoy your holiday! Snow condition looks great: lots of powder!

My problem at this time of year seems to be finding a garage with winter tyres! I also believe we need "commercial" rated tyres, which is making the search (locally at least) slightly harder.

My problem at this time of year seems to be finding a garage with winter tyres! I also believe we need "commercial" rated tyres, which is making the search (locally at least) slightly harder.

What about the online shops, delivered to a local garage to fit them? Any chance?

What about the online shops, delivered to a local garage to fit them? Any chance?
Yes, great idea, just looking at that as an option now. Need to pull my finger out, as travelling on NYD to Germany!