Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Silly Q re 12v sockets

BikerGran

BikerGran

Growing old disgracefully
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
The one behind the passenger seat and the one by the rear seat - what kind of plug do they take? And what appliances have the right plug?

I know it's a silly question but I'm confused!

:confused:

All of these sockets (in the dash cup holder, kitchen end panel, beside rear seat and lastly in the boot) are all 12 volt and accept a standard cylindrical plug. These are available from any car accessory shop or off the internet. The most common use is to use them with a USB adaptor to power/charge phones, laptops and also free standing Sat Navs. Very useful.

However, not to be confused with the 2 pin socket at the base of the B pillar behind the passenger seat. This is the continental design and powered by an inverter off the leisure batteries and produces 230 volts AC. This is a low power supply, so will only be able to supply up to 150 Watts, so a laptop is about it. As the inverter switched on when you plug something in, don't leave a cable plugged in if you are not using it. This will drain the batteries quickly, to no benefit to you.

The 13 Amp socket beside the 12 volt one on the end of the kitchen unit is only live when you are on hook up. Much more power is available subject to the limitations of the campsite 230vAC supply.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Is the socket next to the 240v socket on the kitchen unit a standard 12v one these days?
On my 2009 Cali it was a hella socket and the adapter I had kept blowing the fuse so I don't use it any more

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Is the socket next to the 240v socket on the kitchen unit a standard 12v one these days?
On my 2009 Cali it was a hella socket and the adapter I had kept blowing the fuse so I don't use it any more

Sent from my Galaxy S6
Yes.

............ the 2 pin socket at the base of the B pillar behind the passenger seat. This is the continental design and powered by an inverter off the leisure batteries and produces 230 volts AC. This is a low power supply, so will only be able to supply up to 150 Watts, so a laptop is about it. As the inverter switched on when you plug something in, don't leave a cable plugged in if you are not using it. This will drain the batteries quickly, to no benefit to you.

Alan

In my 2007 Cali this one appears to be exactly the same as the others. I can't really imagine using it as to me that's in 'the luggage area'.

In my 2007 Cali this one appears to be exactly the same as the others. I can't really imagine using it as to me that's in 'the luggage area'.
Which socket are you referring to?

Sent from my Galaxy S6
I have a 2010 Facelift van and the socket beside the 13Amp socket is a 12v "cigarette lighter' type.

So I guess VW updated that since the early version Cali.

Alan

When I talked about the luggage area I meant the area behind the rear seat accessed via the tailgate. There is a 12volt socket near the floor on the right hand panel on my van. May not be there on your model though.

I haven't found a use for this one yet, but maybe sometime in the future.

Alan

When I talked about the luggage area I meant the area behind the rear seat accessed via the tailgate. There is a 12volt socket near the floor on the right hand panel on my van. May not be there on your model though.

Alan
I use it for the 12v Tyre Pump I use for the Cali and bicycles etc:

Alan

That's where I plug into power my awning lights.

After further poking about, I have a further question. The socket in the cup holder is 12 volt and works off the engine battery, the one right at the back is also 12 volt and takes the same kind of plug - cigarette lighter type. Very useful for my grand-daughter's phone charger when the Cali is being used as a 'spare room'.

The one I'm having problems with is the one behind the front passenger seat on the end of the cooker unit. The 12 volt one doesn't accept the same plug, it's much smaller diameter. So where can I get a plug for this and more importantly, what the dickens can I use it for?

Thanks, I now have a plug that fits, and charges my phone. Is it any use for anything else apart from maybe the laptop?

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201462789642

dual twin port USB 12 V universal car cigarette lighter charger adapter 2.1A

Plug this into the socket of the above adapter, you'll then have options to charge most devices that have a USB lead to charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After further poking about, I have a further question. The socket in the cup holder is 12 volt and works off the engine battery, the one right at the back is also 12 volt and takes the same kind of plug - cigarette lighter type. Very useful for my grand-daughter's phone charger when the Cali is being used as a 'spare room'.

The one I'm having problems with is the one behind the front passenger seat on the end of the cooker unit. The 12 volt one doesn't accept the same plug, it's much smaller diameter. So where can I get a plug for this and more importantly, what the dickens can I use it for?
I thought it was just me having problems with that 12v socket. I recently purchased a 12v battery tester which should in theory fit into all of the 12v sockets. When I attempted to use it, the 12v plug fitted all the sockets except the one behind the passenger seat. Why is it different to the others? Does it require some sort of adaptor? I am confused!

I thought it was just me having problems with that 12v socket. I recently purchased a 12v battery tester which should in theory fit into all of the 12v sockets. When I attempted to use it, the 12v plug fitted all the sockets except the one behind the passenger seat. Why is it different to the others? Does it require some sort of adaptor? I am confused!
If it's the Hella socket you have there (it's about half the diameter of a normal cigarette lighter socket) then the adapter I initially suggested to Bikergran will do the trick

If it's the Hella socket you have there (it's about half the diameter of a normal cigarette lighter socket) then the adapter I initially suggested to Bikergran will do the trick

Thanks 525107,
The socket that I have doesn't appear to be any smaller than the others but when I try to push the plug in it just resists all attempts to shove it home. I don't want to force it and I am now wondering if, for some reason, it has a slightly smaller internal diameter. If that is the case, why?
Your Hella adaptors plug seems to be a lot smaller than a standard 12v plug. Never the less I will take another look.

Thanks 525107,
The socket that I have doesn't appear to be any smaller than the others but when I try to push the plug in it just resists all attempts to shove it home. I don't want to force it and I am now wondering if, for some reason, it has a slightly smaller internal diameter. If that is the case, why?
Your Hella adaptors plug seems to be a lot smaller than a standard 12v plug. Never the less I will take another look.
Is there possibly something inside the socket that shouldn't be there? I once had to remove a Lego block from a customer's vehicle's cigarette lighter socket

Is there possibly something inside the socket that shouldn't be there? I once had to remove a Lego block from a customer's vehicle's cigarette lighter socket

I don't think so. The van is brand new however I will check.

Alan
I plug my Whale in to that one.

image.jpeg

I have just been out too take a closer look at the socket only to discover that you were right. I found this thing inside the socket.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I suppose it must have some purpose but I cannot think what it might be.

Anyway having removed it the 12v plug fits easily.

Many thanks,
Paul

Thanks 525107,
I thought that but the adaptor recommended above fits and works perfectly!

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201462789642

dual twin port USB 12 V universal car cigarette lighter charger adapter 2.1A

Plug this into the socket of the above adapter, you'll then have options to charge most devices that have a USB lead to charge

Many thanks - bought and tested and working perfectly!

Hahaha :) it's a small submersible pump, I fill a 25lt water can and then pump it into the wagons water tank, , saves moving the wagon to the water source when camped for a few days.