Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Silly Q re 12v sockets

Hahaha :) it's a small submersible pump, I fill a 25lt water can and then pump it into the wagons water tank, , saves moving the wagon to the water source when camped for a few days.
Ah, I've been pondering that problem. I have the water container but not the strength to lift it high enough to pour it in - you may have given me the answer. Can you answer a side question - do I just fill up till it overflows so I know it's full?

Ah, I've been pondering that problem. I have the water container but not the strength to lift it high enough to pour it in - you may have given me the answer. Can you answer a side question - do I just fill up till it overflows so I know it's full?
Yep, that exactly what I do :thumb.
The pump empties 25lts in 2 mins (think it was approx £12), one thing to keep an eye on is push plenty of hose into the wagon water tank otherwise it falls out and waters your pitch nicely for you!

Yep, that exactly what I do :thumb.
The pump empties 25lts in 2 mins (think it was approx £12), one thing to keep an eye on is push plenty of hose into the wagon water tank otherwise it falls out and waters your pitch nicely for you!

Thanks! :thumb

View attachment 15762
I have just been out too take a closer look at the socket only to discover that you were right. I found this thing inside the socket.
View attachment 15761
View attachment 15762
I suppose it must have some purpose but I cannot think what it might be.

Anyway having removed it the 12v plug fits easily.

Many thanks,
Paul
View attachment 15762
I have just been out too take a closer look at the socket only to discover that you were right. I found this thing inside the socket.
View attachment 15761
View attachment 15762
I suppose it must have some purpose but I cannot think what it might be.

Anyway having removed it the 12v plug fits easily.

Many thanks,
Paul
You're very welcome Paul, glad to have been of help.

Wullie

Isn't that an adaptor so a Hella type plug can be used?
Well possibly. I'm no electrician but wouldn't the plastic ring insulate the contacts on the side of the plug leaving only the one on the end to make contact. Unless I have misunderstood how this plug/socket arrangement works, I think that the plastic whatnot would create an incomplete circuit, therefore no juice.

As I said I am no electrician and therefore stand to be corrected.

upload_2016-8-13_21-7-47.png
Yep, it's the red bit on this photo. Basically with the red bit attached to the plug it will fit in a standard 12Volt Cigarette size lighter socket, remove it and the black plug goes into the smaller 12 volt Hella socket. I've got one in my van, really useful bit of kit, but far to easy to misplace the red cap!

View attachment 15782
Yep, it's the red bit on this photo. Basically with the red bit attached to the plug it will fit in a standard 12Volt Cigarette size lighter socket, remove it and the black plug goes into the smaller 12 volt Hella socket. I've got one in my van, really useful bit of kit, but far to easy to misplace the red cap!
Thanks Chris,
Mystery solved.
Someone must have plugged something in when it was a demo vehicle and failed to get the red thing back when they pulled out the plug.

For anyone wanting to permanently replace the 12v socket with some USB ports, but without the parasitic battery drain that comes with adaptors, I've put together how I replaced mine. I wasn't able to find a detail guide on how to do it, so I decided to document it and share it, in case someone finds themselves in a similar situation.

It's an extremely easy job and under $20, so well worth the little effort if you are considering using a usb adaptor in the 12v sockets. Here's a link: https://medium.com/@maxi-mizer/replace-vw-california-kitchen-12v-outlet-with-usb-ports-f5f6394d7993

I hope it helps!

Reading this thread on 12v sockets - can someone confirm that all of the 12v sockets are fed by the leisure battery including the one in the boot?

Reading this thread on 12v sockets - can someone confirm that all of the 12v sockets are fed by the leisure battery including the one in the boot?
The one in the pull out tray should be from the Engine Battery. All the others “ Should “ be from the leisure batteries.
There have been some cases where they have been different. The only way to really confirm this is to plug something into each socket and check the current draw on the Control panel. If it increases then the socket is powered by the Leisure battery, if no change Engine battery.
Or, plug into EHU and use a plug in Voltmeter. You should get 13+v in all leisure battery powered sockets.

The one in the pull out tray should be from the Engine Battery. All the others “ Should “ be from the leisure batteries.
There have been some cases where they have been different. The only way to really confirm this is to plug something into each socket and check the current draw on the Control panel. If it increases then the socket is powered by the Leisure battery, if no change Engine battery.
Or, plug into EHU and use a plug in Voltmeter. You should get 13+v in all leisure battery powered sockets.
Thanks your reply, the reason why I checked was I've got a solar panel fitted now feeding directly to the Leisure Battery and have an old camping 12v fridge cool box which I was going to keep as an extra in the boot for beers etc.. BUT after approx 4 hours the batt level was 80% (was 100%) so have decided to drink red wine now ;)

Thanks your reply, the reason why I checked was I've got a solar panel fitted now feeding directly to the Leisure Battery and have an old camping 12v fridge cool box which I was going to keep as an extra in the boot for beers etc.. BUT after approx 4 hours the batt level was 80% (was 100%) so have decided to drink red wine now ;)
Ignore the %. It is a very imprecise calculation.
Go by the voltage, which is accurate.

Also, coolboxes tend to be very inefficient.

IMG_1532.jpeg

All of these sockets (in the dash cup holder, kitchen end panel, beside rear seat and lastly in the boot) are all 12 volt and accept a standard cylindrical plug. These are available from any car accessory shop or off the internet. The most common use is to use them with a USB adaptor to power/charge phones, laptops and also free standing Sat Navs. Very useful.

However, not to be confused with the 2 pin socket at the base of the B pillar behind the passenger seat. This is the continental design and powered by an inverter off the leisure batteries and produces 230 volts AC. This is a low power supply, so will only be able to supply up to 150 Watts, so a laptop is about it. As the inverter switched on when you plug something in, don't leave a cable plugged in if you are not using it. This will drain the batteries quickly, to no benefit to you.

The 13 Amp socket beside the 12 volt one on the end of the kitchen unit is only live when you are on hook up. Much more power is available subject to the limitations of the campsite 230vAC supply.

Hope this helps.

Alan
Agree, don't forget the front one is only powered when the ignition is turned on.