Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

AC to DC adaptor

Gooldmike

Gooldmike

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I have a coolbox in the back of my Cali. I would like to be able to power it in my pop up tent. So with the appropriate hook up cables, splitter, and a 13a adaptor , I can do this by using an AC to DC adaptor. With this, I can plug in the 13a plug at one end of the adaptor and then plug my 12v plug from the coolbox into the 12 v socket at the other end of the adaptor. I've now bought 2 different adaptors for this purpose, and in both cases , my 12 v plug won't fit properly into the 12 v socket of the adaptor. I'm a bit confused and " beaten " by this. I've looked online at a number of AC to DC adaptors but there doesn't seem to be any variation in their 12 v sockets , all seem the same as the ones I've bought. Anyone got any ideas ?

I have a coolbox in the back of my Cali. I would like to be able to power it in my pop up tent. So with the appropriate hook up cables, splitter, and a 13a adaptor , I can do this by using an AC to DC adaptor. With this, I can plug in the 13a plug at one end of the adaptor and then plug my 12v plug from the coolbox into the 12 v socket at the other end of the adaptor. I've now bought 2 different adaptors for this purpose, and in both cases , my 12 v plug won't fit properly into the 12 v socket of the adaptor. I'm a bit confused and " beaten " by this. I've looked online at a number of AC to DC adaptors but there doesn't seem to be any variation in their 12 v sockets , all seem the same as the ones I've bought. Anyone got any ideas ?
Can you post some pictures or links to the 12v sockets you have bought and the 12v plug on the fridge lead.

I use one of these for my Waeco cool box, no problems
everything fits.

images-175.jpegimages-176.jpeg

very easy solution: order for a couple of quids 2 Anderson SB50 connectors. cut and throw away both your plug and socket, replace with the anderson connector, job done. for ever. Very very solid connections thereafter.
1613246102009.png

That is not a standard 12v plug
Ok , thanks. It's the lead from the coolbox that came with the Cali ( was a factory order) It obviously fits the 12 v sockets in the van without a problem . So I'm a bit confused

That’s “ Hella “ type 12v plug.
Your best bet, is to change the Fridge 12v plug for a standard 12 v plug or this.

Remove the red collar, Standard 12v plug.
Leave the red collar on, Hella plug like your original.

It has screw fittings.

Your problem is the socket that you're trying to plug into i think.

I had an adapter for the smaller 12v socket at the end of the kitchen and
the other end looked like your one, anyway i couldn't get it to work.

The picture that i posted above will work.

That’s “ Hella “ type 12v plug.
Your best bet, is to change the Fridge 12v plug for a standard 12 v plug or this.
The plug is both Hella and normal. Its the socket
that won't work.

The plug is both Hella and normal. Its the socket
that won't work.
I know, but I have 12v sockets like that, and 12v plugs with the red Hella collar and they fit together fine.
Maybe the OPs plug is too narrow or the -tve spring connectors have been flattened so not making contact.

Personally, I would get it to fit.

Your problem is the socket that you're trying to plug into i think.

I had an adapter for the smaller 12v socket at the end of the kitchen and
the other end looked like your one, anyway i couldn't get it to work.

The picture that i posted above will work.
You mean the Mobicool Y50 ?

Keep it simple Mike,
Justkampers might have what you need, you could email
them with your pictures?
Thank you. I actually have found one with an English plug, good bit more exspensive but spose it's worth it

Will do. Thanks for all your help
Sorry to bother you again . I received the Mobicool Y50 today , but unfortunately , when I plug it all up to the power supply and the coolbox , i still can't get the coolbox to power on. The 12 v does seem to plug in more securely but still not sure it's making the correct contact

Sorry to bother you again . I received the Mobicool Y50 today , but unfortunately , when I plug it all up to the power supply and the coolbox , i still can't get the coolbox to power on. The 12 v does seem to plug in more securely but still not sure it's making the correct contact
MYSTERY SOLVED --- I've discovered the problem . The plastic red top piece from the 12 v plug had disengaged from the plug and was just sitting in the 12 v socket in the van. That's why my 12 v plug wasn't fitting securely into the 12 v socket in the AC to DC adaptor !!!
Sorry, everyone, for the confusion , and thanks again for all your efforts .

IMG_20210216_174940.jpg

MYSTERY SOLVED --- I've discovered the problem . The plastic red top piece from the 12 v plug had disengaged from the plug and was just sitting in the 12 v socket in the van. That's why my 12 v plug wasn't fitting securely into the 12 v socket in the AC to DC adaptor !!!
Sorry, everyone, for the confusion , and thanks again for all your efforts .

View attachment 73879
Oh no, so your original one still works then.
Thats a bit of a pain sending the new one back.

Oh no, so your original one still works then.
Thats a bit of a pain sending the new one back.
Well, at least, it's all resolved and will work. Also can return the Mobicool Y50 ,which was quite pricey, but will get a refund. So all good