Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Route calais to lake garda

P

pennystuart2012

hi
looking for a lovely route from calais to lake garda italy avoiding tolls and getting out of france asap
regards :goodone
stuart

You could always head north from Calais into Belgium (have a look at Bruges) and then across through Luxembourg (cheap fuel), Germany into Switzerland and then Italy. Belgian motorways (at least the ones we've been on) are free.

Belgian motorways are free but in very poor condition because of pot holes. Make our roads look first class. Drove them back in April and you have to keep your wits about you to avoid some of the craters!!

Agree with Andy, Belgian motorways are in terrible condition and very crowded with wagons. Saw three collisions where wagons had run into other vehicles when crossing from Germany to Brugges.
Could try Calais - Verdun- Colmar then through Black Forest into Switzerland and onto Italy.
Good site just outside Verdun and plenty around Colmar. Did this route a couple of years ago, but from Dunkirque, on non toll roads and still made good progress.

Hubert

I second the Bel/Lux/Swiss route.
Watch your speed in Belgium as they're pretty strict. On the spot cash fines can ruin your day.
Stay on the German side of the Rhine at Strasbourg to Basel. Black forest detour?

Fuel in Lux and Sw. You will have to buy a Vignette (road tax in Sw - Approx £30) but this will allow free access to alpine tunnel to cross into Italy (use St Gothard for Garda). if you use a tunnel from France you'll pay a hefty toll.

Enjoy.

S.

I lived in Bruges for five years, and other than a stretch of road near Antwerp found the motorways fine and in some places smoother than here in uk. So if you fancy the belgium route, go for it I say - and do stop off in Bruges if you have the time, it is very beautiful especially after the hoards of tourists have retreated to their hotels for the evening, leaving the medieval streets to the locals.

For me, the big problem with the roads is the aggressive cutting up and tailgating. People drive horribly close to each other at speed, and as a consequence frequently crash and die like flies.

Still, don't let that put you off!