Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lake Garda

theonecraw

theonecraw

aka Rioja
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Following our successful trip to Lake Como last month we are just about to blast off to Lake Garda.

Last time we drove through France and Switzerland and then just hopped over the border to Como. Loved the drive through and over the mountains...

This time we have a choice of two routes:

1. France all the way down then cut through Italy.
2. France, Germany, Austria and then Italy.

Which way would you go?

I would take route 2...simply because you will go through more countries and be able to get take surroundings in as you travel, and get variety from the bakers country to country.

We just went from Como (Dongo) and over the mountains to Switzerland via Splügenpass. Very beautiful but not the fastest and most secure drive – it takes a few skills, because the California with Roofbox and Bikerack is on the limit regarding size. Cars wider than 2,3 m is not accepted. The Cali is 2,297 m ;-)

The drive on the italian site is the most challenging, and on many stretches it is not possible to regret and turn around.

Passo dello Spluga1.jpg

Last edited:
How did you end up with a bike rack setup as wide as 2.97?
The bare car is under 2.3m inludimg mirrors.

How did you end up with a bike rack setup as wide as 2.97?
The bare car is under 2.3m inludimg mirrors.

Sorry, I misspelled: 2,297 m … ;-)

I'd be wary about using the Mont Blanc. On our way back to France we had a short 30 minute queue, whilst traffic to Italy was queuing for 1 hour 50 minutes late Saturday afternoon :(.

Not sure if it's always like that but it's put me off using it in that direction.

Following our successful trip to Lake Como last month we are just about to blast off to Lake Garda.

Last time we drove through France and Switzerland and then just hopped over the border to Como. Loved the drive through and over the mountains...

This time we have a choice of two routes:

1. France all the way down then cut through Italy.
2. France, Germany, Austria and then Italy.

Which way would you go?

Hi theonecraw,
We are planning to do a trip to Lake Como or Lake Garda or both on a 3 week trip this summer. Did you post anything further about the experiences you had or best campsites you found, the must do or don't bother attractions. Any pointers would be very much appreciated. I've lots of good tips for places to explore / stay in the SW of England but we've no European experience yet!
Thanks in anticipation, Ian

In this thread, there is some more info about Como and Alpen crossing that might come handy. Like told in my earlier ppost we went over the Splügen Pass and it was well worth it if you are not too nervous about narrow and steep roads.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/lago-do-como.15479/#post-168258
Many thanks!
Just checking out all the links and pictures now. I believe that some pre planning will help us save time and have better experiences, eg, The Magic Lake etc. Scenery looks beautiful! Thanks again, Ian

We just went from Como (Dongo) and over the mountains to Switzerland via Splügenpass. Very beautiful but not the fastest and most secure drive – it takes a few skills, because the California with Roofbox and Bikerack is on the limit regarding size. Cars wider than 2,3 m is not accepted. The Cali is 2,297 m ;-)

The drive on the italian site is the most challenging, and on many stretches it is not possible to regret and turn around.

View attachment 15591
The views may be amazing but that looks pretty testing to drive!!! Is it just like that is a few places - hopefully it gets no worse - or is much of it like that?!

The views may be amazing but that looks pretty testing to drive!!! Is it just like that is a few places - hopefully it gets no worse - or is much of it like that?!

I think it is very individual, I have done a lot of driving in the mountains on MC and bike. Both road, gravel and off-road/enduro. But it still is quite different in a big van. But you don't need that kind of routine to go, a lot do the crossing every day. Our Cali came thru – like a ninja – with a 102 hp engine, roof box and bikes on the back (and a lot of wine in the back). But it is quite steep and narrow on some corners. You will meet no trucks, but a lot of motorcyclists and if you are not too scared of heights (my wife is, but she also survived) and take your time, it is really worth the ride.

If you go, take your time, do some stops and enjoy the amazing scenery along. And don't let the impatient drivers around (especially in Italy) bother you. It is a nice route.

And take a look at the forecast, it is not worth the effort when it's raining and foggy …

Hi theonecraw,
We are planning to do a trip to Lake Como or Lake Garda or both on a 3 week trip this summer. Did you post anything further about the experiences you had or best campsites you found, the must do or don't bother attractions. Any pointers would be very much appreciated. I've lots of good tips for places to explore / stay in the SW of England but we've no European experience yet!
Thanks in anticipation, Ian

In our opinion we enjoyed Garda more than Como. Loads of places to stay close to towns and much cheaper than Como. Really enjoyed Malcesine and stayed at a great site called 'Camping Lombardi' - http://campinglombardi.com

Route option 2. Cheaper. Fewer tolls.

Camping Limone sul Garda is great. Pitches right on the waters edge.

IMG_1110.JPG IMG_1112.JPG